Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Limerick had a weakened team out in that round Robin and were already qualified. The point I'm making is that Tipperary are highly over rated and Limerick have their number bigtime. Nothing stopping Cork from turning them over. Im not saying Tipperary didn't deserve their All Ireland. They won it fair and square.

You sound like Ciaran carey who last week suggested limerick could replicate Dublin in the football, cork bet tipp by 10pts in 2010 and didnt hear cork lads going on about that. Cork could easily beat tipp wouldn't be surprised either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Limerick had a weakened team out in that round Robin and were already qualified. The point I'm making is that Tipperary are highly over rated and Limerick have their number bigtime. Nothing stopping Cork from turning them over. Im not saying Tipperary didn't deserve their All Ireland. They won it fair and square.

Who exactly is highly over rating tipp? Most "experts" were predicting Limerick to beat Tipp the last day and I expect this weekends game to be called 50/50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Rosita

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    The pressure on any team to win in straight knockout format is obvious.

Liam Sheedy must be an anorak then as he has said in the aftermath of Tipp's

All-Ireland win last year that he was v keen to back it up to ensure that 2019

was not perceived as a fluke or a one-off.

The pressure on Tipp to back last years win up will be v much a factor next

weekend and any other match Tipp may play this year.

It might have cropped up in response to a question asked in an interview but you are delusional if you think something like that makes any impact on the training and preparation for a specific match. The pressure on Tipp at the weekend is to stay in the championship. Same as for Cork really. And Wexford and Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Limerick were qualified for a quarter final sure, but not the Munster final. If Cork beat Clare last year on the same day as Tipp beat Limerick then Limerick were not in a Munster final, they were not to know that Clare would win.

How on earth the All Ireland Champions are "overrated" is beyond me. Nonsense stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Rosita wrote: »
    It might have cropped up in response to a question asked in an interview but you are delusional if you think something like that makes any impact on the training and preparation for a specific match. The pressure on Tipp at the weekend is to stay in the championship. Same as for Cork really. And Wexford and Clare.

You are confusing physical and psychological preparation for a big match.

Of course it will not impact on training but external psychological pressures are known to affect physical performance.

Fact..Tipp have not managed to retained the AI since 1965.

They have failed to retain it 6 times since which could run to 7 if they don't win it this year.

It would be delusional to think it is not a huge psychological monkey on their backs.

• Advertisement

You are confusing physical and psychological preparation for a big match.

Of course it will not impact on training but external psychological pressures are known to affect physical performance.

Fact..Tipp have not managed to retained the AI since 1965.

They have failed to retain it 6 times since which could run to 7 if they don't win it this year.

It would be delusional to think it is not a huge psychological monkey on their backs.

Fine. There's no much point in discussing it further so.

I wonder who Cork will meet in the quarter-final?

Fine. There's no much point in discussing it further so.

I wonder who Cork will meet in the quarter-final?

I never said Cork would win. I said that there will be more pressure on Tipp than
    Cork and it could affect their performance.

Tipp are reigning AI champions and will be justifiably expected to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Lads I'm ****ing buzzing today after yesterday. Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Who exactly is highly over rating tipp? Most "experts" were predicting Limerick to beat Tipp the last day and I expect this weekends game to be called 50/50

Tipp are favourites 8/15 and rightly so .
    There is no consistency with Cork, they could go out and play well next weekend or they could be crap.
    It will be a huge ask for Cork to win, Tipp are physically much stronger and far tougher mentally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,773 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Work was great today! Not necessarily for the few Kerry lads I work with though!

Pity the hurlers got Tip, they were clearly the best of the 3 available. I fully expect a reaction from Tip but equally Cork will have zero fear playing them.

• Advertisement

I never said Cork would win. I said that there will be more pressure on Tipp than
    Cork and it could affect their performance.

Tipp are reigning AI champions and will be justifiably expected to win.

This doesn't make sense. Your earlier argument implied that the great weakness they had WAS being All Ireland champions. That they had a huge psychological monkey on their backs. That you had lads in their 20s being affected adversely by what some lad did in the 1950s. If you think with that colossal baggage that Tipperary might win you must really think Cork are poor.

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Pity the hurlers got Tip, Cork will have zero fear playing them.

Which teams do Cork fear playing?

Just trying to work out if the phrase actually has any meaning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,773 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Which teams do Cork fear playing?

Just trying to work out if the phrase actually has any meaning.

No meaning other than it should be a 50 / 50 game. No reason to fear them.

Rte 2 will have coverage of the camogie ( v Clare) at 1.00 on Saturday with the hurlers playing later at 4.00 on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Today was a great day. Hopefully Cork can win munster football final and progress. If anything its great to KO our great rivals even if we don't go any further. It was like a carlsburg dream but even better it was actually real. Nothing is a certainty in sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭The White Feather

OK, I have watched the match highlights 3 times today!! What a result! I am still on a high!

I think it was said already but Tomás Ó Sé was very poor on the Sunday Game. I know he would be disappointed and angry as everyone is when their team loses, but he was more like an angry fan than an analyst.

He even brought it up again later in the Dublin analysis and saying "we" always annoys me from any pundit. We know where they are from so they all should be in analysis mode rather than supporter mode.

On another note regarding Corks loss in the Camogie yesterday, since when are sideline cuts 2 points in Camogie? I never knew that. Its a great skill but they shouldn't be 2 points at all in my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

It's bad enough that Kilkenny have overtaken us on the role of honour.But Tipp have 28 all Ireland rights now.So they are 2 all Irelands behind us in the role of honour.People talk about the tough route we have, to win the all Ireland.But all im worried about is Tipp for now.If we are on form, then we will give Tipp one hell of a battle.It's very much a 50/50 game i think.

As for the footballers we need to drive it on now, and beat Tipp.Then i think the winners play the connacht champions in the semi final.Say if we play Mayo, then we are well overdue a win against them.So all going well, we can hopefully make the final.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭giveitholly

There is no consistency with Cork, they could go out and play well next weekend or they could be crap.
    It will be a huge ask for Cork to win, Tipp are physically much stronger and far tougher mentally.

Yeah bookies will have Tipperary favourites for Saturday but for me it will be a 50/50 match and could go either way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Tipp will win handy enough. We might as well not turn up its a given we won't win. Would we be better off giving the game to Tipp next week?

This doesn't make sense. Your earlier argument implied that the great weakness they had WAS being All Ireland champions. That they had a huge psychological monkey on their backs. That you had lads in their 20s being affected adversely by what some lad did in the 1950s. If you think with that colossal baggage that Tipperary might win you must really think Cork are poor.[/QUOTE

Who mentioned the 1950's?

Did you not see the game last Sunday week?

What I said was historically Tipp don't deal well with the mantle of All Ireland champions and the evidence backs this up. You don't have to go back to the 1950's to see that i.e last Sunday v Limerick, 2017 etc.

Based on what we've seen so far both teams have been poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭thefa

eigrod wrote: »
    Haha, Finbarr McCarthy - “who got it”... brilliant

https://twitter.com/bernardflynn15/status/1325505819669110786?s=21

Have watched multiple times today - needed it as a bit of a catharsis because I don’t think the joy and relief after watching the game last night had hit me. Just been such a bad stretch after some of the lows that had been hit over the last decade and great to see the reactions. Really big opportunity to drive on this year and going forward to become a challenger year in, year out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

Yeah bookies will have Tipperary favourites for Saturday but for me it will be a 50/50 match and could go either way

It's not really if Tipp play to their potential its a six point difference. Another thing on their loss to Limerick was how quiet the great Paudie Maher was. Quiet the next day and Cork have a great chance

Who mentioned the 1950's?

r.

Actually it was the 1960s you mentioned. I still don't get the relevance of it to a hurling match a couple of weeks back or next weekend but I'm sure you know best. It all sounds rather superstitious to me which is at odds with how teams prepare these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Cork Match is on sky again third week in a row. I have elderly family who can’t see the match as they don’t have sky tv I don’t mind the odd Match but 3 weeks in a row is a bit much

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Cork Match is on sky again third week in a row. I have elderly family who can’t see the match as they don’t have sky tv I don’t mind the odd Match but 3 weeks in a row is a bit much

The Cork-Dublin game was on Sky Sports Mix which at least for Virgin Media viewers (which is not everyone of course) was free to air. That's how I saw it. Anyone who the situation with this game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

All sky's GAA games are on skysports mix for the championship so same deal from here on out.

Rebel1971, have they could internet connection and either a smart TV or laptop? Would NowTV be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

All sky's GAA games are on skysports mix for the championship so same deal from here on out.

Rebel1971, have they could internet connection and either a smart TV or laptop? Would NowTV be an option?

I think what I might end up doing is getting one of them to download the sky go app etc on his computer And give him my sky login details to view it that way in normal times I would bring them to my house but unfortunately that’s not an option

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I think what I might end up doing is getting one of them to download the sky go app etc on his computer And give him my sky login details to view it that way in normal times I would bring them to my house but unfortunately that’s not an option

Yeah I use the Sky Go app to watch them.

There’s doesn’t seem to be an option to cast the app from your phone to your tv like Netflix/Youtube etc do though, so I logged in to Sky Go from my laptop and connected it to my tv with a HDMI cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its a bit rich the GAA getting 30m off the Govt and putting the games on pay tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Munster final set for Pairc ui Chaoimh - 22nd November at 1:30pm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Good few people are trying to figure out how marc and darragh o shea were in the stand for the match.looks like them scooting down the steps in the background of the finnbarr macarthy clip,maybe they were doing media work:D

Advertisement