Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ikozma wrote: »
    Embarrassing rubbish, not one decent footballer in that squad, absolute ****show

:rolleyes:

Awful to lose a final after knocking out Kerry.
    Too many players didn't perform today. It was typical of the Cork footballers to play like that today after the result 2 weeks ago.
    That game was there to be won, Tip wanted it more.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Cork football has been in a sorry state of affairs for the last 8 years - same thing year in and year out. Handpass, handpass, handpass and not a sign of a kickpass. What do Cork football have against kicking the damn ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Its not lack of bottle , its lack of skill .
    Cork reminded me of a ladies football team, can't kick a point from outside 30 yards.

Forwards are useless, slow, static not making runs.
    Too much handpassing, too many passes, no incision, one paced.
    Putred football.

Ah stop, they bricked themselves, same as the hurlers.
    U20 champions last year, minor champions last year, skill isn’t an issue.
    Completely shat themselves when the spotlight came on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Cork football has been in a sorry state of affairs for the last 8 years - same thing year in and year out. Handpass, handpass, handpass and not a sign of a kickpass. What do Cork football have against kicking the damn ball!

We just don’t have the skill levels. From all the club championship games I saw last year it’s the way cork football is played now. Hurling is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Too many players didn't perform today. It was typical of the Cork footballers to play like that today after the result 2 weeks ago.

Not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

They play **** against Kerry also. No surprise today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I thought the exact same thing. The way Tipp came out and started, you knew they meant business. We looked like a team happy to have just beaten Kerry and out for a stroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭roshje

What is it with the training, the object of football is to go forward and score like most other games, with us it is get the ball and go backwards, get the ball and go backwards. Something will have to change, no point in having forwards if they are being starved of fast quality ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

At least no fans had to pay in to watch that pitiful excuse of a performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

That performance was a gut punch - any semblance of progress we thought we made from the Kerry game is gone. We need lads who can affect the game by kicking the ball rather than relying exclusively on the same two or three ball carriers. Sean Meehan the only real positive from the championship. Feel sorry for the likes of Maguire and Collins who’ve put in huge shifts over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Figsy32 wrote: »
    That performance was a gut punch - any semblance of progress we thought we made from the Kerry game is gone. We need lads who can effect the game by kicking the ball rather than relying exclusively on the same two or three ball carriers. Sean Meehan the only real positive from the championship. Feel sorry for the likes of Maguire and Collins who’ve put in huge shifts over the years.

We have the players though. They are drilled to hold possession and go sideways. That needs to change. Play a more fast and direct style of play. I would like to see them play through the lines at speed going forward with the odd long ball to the forwards. Hurley is well capable of fighting for the ball. It simply doesnt happen, the tactics need to change. The talent is there but it is not utilised correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Anything out yet from the Cork camp? It’s always one step forward and 5 steps backward for the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,140 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I didn't think we were meant be so negative in here?

It's all sunshine and lollipops lads.

Be fine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Be fine.

Cmere, have you found Frank's stash of magic mushrooms and if you have, why aren't you sharing?

EDIT: or are you Frank? :pac:

Cmere, have you found Frank's stash of magic mushrooms and if you have, why aren't you sharing?

EDIT: or are you Frank? :pac:

Dont worry as we speak 3 kids have been born in cork. They will be the next Christy Ring and Larry Tompkins.

They wont even have to train. The fact they are from Cork will be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭thefa

irishfeen wrote: »
    It’s sad but this is the reason Cork is a hurling county in terms of support... this is desperate stuff.

Even when the footballers were completing outshining the hurlers a decade ago, there was still a bias towards the hurling. I think the hurling success in the 2000s and more urbanisation has sealed the hurling county status. A lack of success and performances like these just seal the deal.

The footballers are just a really frustrating team to support. Number of false dawns over the years make them consistently unreliable. Great opportunity this year to make progress. Doubtful we’ll see major changes as the Kerry win and league win will probably be accepted as good enough. If ever there was an opportunity to refresh the tactics, it was after the relegation to division 3 but instead, we just seem to have found a level where we can beat teams as is.

The lack of ambition going forward is very frustrating when you compare to the likes of Dublin and Donegal. One moment stood out when White was alone, bearing in on goal from the left hand-side in the second half, and chose to settle for a point despite the overlap. Realise he’s not the most attack minded player we have but the top teams engineer goal chances out of those type of situations with the pint being a backup plan. Don’t mean to single out White but just an example of the play. There’s also a shortage of players willing to take on shots.

A lot of small mistakes on passing added up too and the typical overconfidence a Kerry win brought was blown away by Tipp in the first half.

Be fine.

Plenty of room for negativity, especially that performance.

But it also needs to be realistic. We have some fine footballers, All Ireland minor and u20 titles aren't just given out. Applying a better set up on the pitch is necessary. Tactics are all well and good but our style is ponderous, it needs to change.

Do we really have good footballers though.

The bit that got to me was was where Deane got himself free on right hand side only 20 metres out, nobody near him, be did not want to kick for score, he did though, and it went aimlessly wide. He is meant be one of out better players but he **** his pance when so close to goal. He is a intercounty player.

It was one of the most saddest sights I have ever seen in sport. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

The culture in both the hurling and football squads needs a massive change. It's baffling how all of these players can be so mentally weak. We are so far removed from what it actually takes to win at the highest level. The pick of players we have is outrageous to be performing this poorly every year. The base skill level is there yet they fail when the going gets tough regularly.

Dare I say it's time to look outside the county for a management team in both codes to come in and ruthlessly change things. Otherwise it's going to be more of the same for the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Plenty of room for negativity, especially that performance.

But it also needs to be realistic. We have some fine footballers, All Ireland minor and u20 titles aren't just given out. Applying a better set up on the pitch is necessary. Tactics are all well and good but our style is ponderous, it needs to change.

Ponderous is right. They seem to have to work very hard for each score or scoring attempt

• Advertisement

The bit that got to me was was where Deane got himself free on right hand side only 20 metres out, nobody near him, be did not want to kick for score, he did though, and it went aimlessly wide. He is meant be one of out better players but he **** his pance when so close to goal. He is a intercounty player.

Kew there is 260 odd GAA clubs in County Cork ... if the quality isn’t there to field 15 good players in both codes then we really are in trouble...

Yes we do. Deane was poor today but is a great carrier of the ball usually. It was an awful kick, typical of his performance today though. He should have had a corner forward on his shoulder to offload to but they were 30 yards further away from goal, cant understand that logic/tactic.

Edgware wrote: »
    Ponderous is right. They seem to have to work very hard for each score or scoring attempt

They really do, which is a real pity. Some fast ball into the forward line, the kind of ball defenders dont like, but instead we pass the ball around 50 yards from goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Cork2021 wrote: »
    We just don’t have the skill levels. From all the club championship games I saw last year it’s the way cork football is played now. Hurling is the same

Have to agree 100%. How many times today did we see a 10m hand pass go astray or someone fumble a simple catch? Same carry on in the hurling, skill level no where near high enough. Hurlers need to be more physical too.

Tipp were so much more fluid in attack today. Showed a far higher skill level than us in the final third of the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

We have the players though. They are drilled to hold possession and go sideways. That needs to change. Play a more fast and direct style of play. I would like to see them play through the lines at speed going forward with the odd long ball to the forwards. Hurley is well capable of fighting for the ball. It simply doesnt happen, the tactics need to change. The talent is there but it is not utilised correctly.

We obviously don't. Take off the shades for heavens sake. Cork football is a pity always has been.

We obviously don't. Take off the shades for heavens sake. Cork football is a pity always has been.

Of course it always hasn’t been a pity.. for years Cork did themselves proud and have after all won an all Ireland in the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and noughties.

Granted they have never really been consistent but always been a pity is wrong!

irishfeen wrote: »
    Kew there is 260 odd GAA clubs in County Cork ... if the quality isn’t there to field 15 good players in both codes then we really are in trouble...
    Yes we do. Deane was poor today but is a great carrier of the ball usually. It was an awful kick, typical of his performance today though. He should have had a corner forward on his shoulder to offload to but they were 30 yards further away from goal, cant understand that logic/tactic.

Thing is you can have as many clubs as like but if quality not there it's not much good.

Thing is I thought we were very enjoyable to watch last year. Even against Dublin we least fought man for man and I was very proud of Cork that day even with loss into double digits but felt we were much better value.

The football today was dreadful. Simple hand passes were going astray. No movement or hunger. Lack of skill was scary poor. We lost pretty much every 50 50.

I knew today was going be tricky. Tipp had a huge incentive to win today. But Cork have not won Munster in 8 years now, and I thought we looked like a team with no care in world.

Tipp are not a bad side but let's be honest they ain't a great side or a team we should be beaten to if things are what they are meant to be in Cork.

I would say somthing if the Gods were against us, like they have the keeper to thank for few saves or our shooting boots were not on or they got some lucky scores or goals.

If anything Tipp had perfect goal ruled out and deserved to win by 3 or 4 points more.

Today was as disappointing as the defeat in 2018. It really is to me. we are no mans land at minute.

Thing is you can have as many clubs as like but if quality not there it's not much good.

Thing is I thought we were very enjoyable to watch last year. Even against Dublin we least fought man for man and I was very proud of Cork that day even with loss into double digits but felt we were much better value.

The football today was dreadful. Simple hand passes were going astray. No movement or hunger. Lack of skill was scary poor. We lost pretty much every 50 50.

I knew today was going be tricky. Tipp had a huge incentive to win today. But Cork have not won Munster in 8 years now, and I thought we looked like a team with no care in world.

Tipp are not a bad side but let's be honest they ain't a great side or a team we should be beaten to if things are what they are meant to be in Cork.

I would say somthing if the Gods were against us, like they have the keeper to thank for few saves or our shooting boots were not on or they got some lucky scores or goals.

If anything Tipp had perfect goal ruled out and deserved to win by 3 or 4 points more.

Today was as disappointing as the defeat in 2018. It really is to me. we are no mans land at minute.

I suppose my point is Kew if the quality isn’t there with a playing base bigger then any other county then this is a structural problem right down to the grassroots and its structures across the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

I would have a modicum of hope for this group of footballers given the age profile and that they have tasted underage success. Need to move up to Div 1 after the 2021 league. That has to be the focus now. The tactics will have to evolve too. We need to become incisive in attack. The tenacity in defence we exhibited against Kerry wasnt there today. It masked our attacking shortcomings v Kerry. An important lesson for a young team to learn is that you must bring that focus and tenacity every day ag inter county level. If you dont any team is capable of turning you over. Same happened Kerry against us. Didnt apply themselves and paid the price.

The hurling worries me more. No underage success to build a team around. We need a 5 year plan for hurling too. We're way underperforming given the playing population in the county.

• Advertisement

almostover wrote: »
    I would have a modicum of hope for this group of footballers given the age profile and that they have tasted underage success. Need to move up to Div 1 after the 2021 league. That has to be the focus now. The tactics will have to evolve too. We need to become incisive in attack. The tenacity in defence we exhibited against Kerry wasnt there today. It masked our attacking shortcomings v Kerry. An important lesson for a young team to learn is that you must bring that focus and tenacity every day ag inter county level. If you dont any team is capable of turning you over. Same happened Kerry against us. Didnt apply themselves and paid the price.

The hurling worries me more. No underage success to build a team around. We need a 5 year plan for hurling too. We're way underperforming given the playing population in the county.

To be honest I have to agree, it’s hurling is my real worry too ... being honest I won’t lose sleep over Cork football but we haven’t won an All Ireland in Hurling now in so long it’s frightening.

Advertisement