Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

We got the job done in extra time. Kilkenny died with their boots on to be fair, but that is a huge win for Cork hurling. It's Limerick in the final, and bring them on i say! Rebels Abu!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 86,461 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I was so worried that we wouldn't get into full gear. First half felt like Kilkenny were at full power but we had a gear or 2 to go upward. But some games it never happens and the game gets away from you. Finally things started going to hand and we started motoring. Or at least Jack O'Copnor started motoring!!

Our subs this year are the difference. I keep saying it. Having guys off the bench contributing and not just disappearing makes the difference now. Before if felt like Horgan against the rest now he has a load of help. This in turn frees him up a little.

See now presumably Kingston starts next day and then Barrett will be rearing to get on. And so on with the rest.

Near the end we were really ticking. Now we get the well earned break and gear up for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Gutted to lose that one but congratulations to Cork... the better team won so best of luck in the final.

Our team of speedy flyers, against the brute physicality of Limerick. It's going to be a battle of contrasting styles, of course Limerick have plenty of skill as well. But between this and the u20 all Ireland win, it feels like the buzz is back in Cork hurling and by god we needed it! Limerick will be favourites, but as far as i'm concerned once a Cork team gets to an all Ireland final, then it has every chance of victory.

I don't want to sound too begrudging here, but i feel that we should have beaten Limerick, in that 2018 semi final. 2018 was an all Ireland that got away from us. It's been a great year for Cork hurling, and a first senior all Ireland in 16 years, will be the icing on the cake really. We had a terrible time with the strikes, and it's aftermath, and i had bitter feelings myself after it. That third strike left a horrible sting, that took a long time to get over, but what this country has been through over the past 18 months, has put everything in perspective. The futures looking bright for Cork hurling thank god.

• Advertisement

Kilkenny to be fair died with their boots on. With Kilkenny it takes a stake through the heart, and a lorry load of garlic to kill ye off!😁

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Well said..in fairness ye are never beaten but our subs made the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

That win is more then just the victory I think in terms of Cork kicking on with this generation of players - had we lost to Kilkenny with that last second goal I think it would have taken years to recover in terms of psychological damage .

They have beaten Killkenny in Croke park - that to any Cork player is massive - genuinely I think Kilkenny is the only team Cork have a degree of fear for.

As for the final - I’m giving it tonight to celebrate to even think about it :)

Corcaigh Abu :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭lukin

I keep thinking back to Tony Kelly's goal chance against us.

If that had gone in how different the year would have turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭prishtinaboy99

Well I expected Kilkenny to come out like Blitzkrieg as no way the wanted it to end up like it did with us running at them with 10 mins to go still in the game. Bad decision making let them back in it to level it and go to extra time. In the end hopefully the will have learned a lesson in how to close out games.

i will say the same about Limerick if we are within a few points of them at half time no way they want to be chasing greyhounds in the home straight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I will be very happy to be within a point or two of Limerick at ht. I think every Cork fan would take that now.

Today however, was completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭prishtinaboy99

Me too but no team wants our lads springing fresh legs when game opens up. All the pressure is on Limerick, red hot favorites, no pressure on us. Set up nicely for an upset.

Their half back line can be got at running at them but can we?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Cork were ridden in 2018, the ref gave 2 phantom frees for overcarrying in the last 7 minutes.

Will be interesting to see who the ref for the final will be and will Limerick have 16 men like they have had in most of their games this year.

They should have had a man sent off against both Cork and Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭lukin

It would be a sweet one if we could win it on the 22nd. Nobody could have dreamt it at the start of the year.

"The bench plays a crucial part here. It will virtually be the same team starting as last week but having good guys off the bench makes a massive difference. Remember Harnedy being sent back on? Yes, thats the difference now!"

I wrote that above a few days ago and today Corks bench contributed 11 points. Kilkennys only 1 point.

This is why we are now in the final. A crucial stat from today. It will be the same thing for the final.

We got rid of a few ghosts today.

1) Beating Kilkenny at Croke Park

2) Winning a close game and not buckling

3) Responding to adversity

We have real belief now and I still think we can get better. I have been saying all year we have the ingredients now. Just getting the mix right and today was a huge step. Its for another day but Limerick can be got at and we can get goals against them. Just like today everyone will go for them to win and that suits us perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,157 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I actually think the mistake by O Mahony and the Kilkenny goal might be a blessing for us. Cause it showed that even through the worst scenario we came through that storm.

On the way home from Croker and I'm buzzing. I brought my missus who is not Irish and she could not get over the skill level of these players. Its a epic game we have.

We will have to improve for the final and I feel our decision making on the field really needs to improve but we are in a final and are on the way up.

Safe trip home to you and all on the roads tonight

I did i always believe that every year will be Corks year!😁

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭supernova5

Cork will beat Limerick in the final on August 22nd

Cork will win the 2021 under 20 hurling All Ireland title

Cork will win the Minor hurling All Ireland title

I'm around long enough to know that when Cork hurling is high on confidence and that Corkiness is coursing through their veins they are incredible hard to stop. This is where Cork are now.

by the way I'm not from Cork

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

Limerick are another different animal.. It would be a surprise if Cork beat them..

Kilkenny seem to be in a rot that Cork were in.. Slipping a bit..

A lot of the older players are gone

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭King Power Fox

When the Cork goalkeeper pucked out the ball after the late goal should there have been a long range free to Kilkenny. I think the half back caught the ball cleanly and there was 2 Cork lads hanging off him. Would have taken a brave reg to give it. Easy thing to do was blow up. By the way Cork were well deserving winners overall. Kilkenny are not an old team bar 1 or 2 but they were ran off the field by Cork. Has Cody stagnated their progression in this modern such as the hard running game done now by most teams - Waterford last year.

I think a Cork team in an all Ireland final, should never be written off. Limerick are a great team, but i honestly think we have a great chance. There's great skill and pace in this team, and sure you have that bit of Cork swagger and arrogance as well.😁 Limerick are a very physical team, while we are more of a pacy team. So it's a clash of two teams, with totally different styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

The big thing gojng into the final how is OFlynns leg???

That may have been true about the free but I thought the ref should have blown up when Tim O'Mahony came out with the ball. The ball was floated into our defence at 73.50 We came out with it right on 74 with only 4 min extra to be played. To me that was their last attack and we repelled it. Usually that was it. But he didn't and they got a goal so then he played on a further bit when the game should have been over.

But look, this is the way it all worked out and both teams had a chance to win it in the 20 min of extra time so maybe justice was done. He gave both teams a chance to win it and turns out Cork had that extra little bit in the extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

One of the best days out in Croke Park in ages. What a bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well done today , it would have been an injustice if ye lost to be fair in normal time ,...it would also be an injustice to the game if patrick horgan retires without an all ireland lets hope it happens in 2 weeks time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

On the bus home now. Possibly the best game I’ve ever been at. The atmosphere in Croke Park was genuinely insane. What a win. Up the rebels.

Ok, after all that excitement.....don't forget we have a Munster Minor Hurling final tomorrow v Waterford. Its at 7.30 in Thurles

Here is the team..... Lets keep this run going!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

What a match, some scramble for trains and buses after the match cos of the extra time!!

Advertisement