Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Did Alan Connolly even get on the ball tonight ? Where was Niall oLeary is he injured ?we scored 1-23 still lost by 6 points we have firepower but other parts of the team letting us down.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

You're being massively unfair to Sean O'Donoghue there in my opinion, I don't think many could have an issue with how he's been playing. Maybe our best player last year and has been solid this year too.

Even tonight it was his first game back from injury, he still won his personal battle against perhaps the most dangerous inside forward in the game right now. Hutchinson got a goal in the last few mins alright when he was forced to defend a 2 on 1 which he couldn't do much about.

I get your point on improving the line though, Niall O'Leary is a good hurler let's hope he recaptures his form and that Daire O'Leary is given every chance to see if he has what it takes to fill the #3 jersey as it's been a problem position for us for a while now. It might mean bringing Downey back but he's playing better hurling on the wing. I like Mellerick but for me he's physically a bit light for full back.

On our league as a whole, despite the disappointing final, I think it was a positive campaign. Of our 7 matches we won 5 and lost 2 (1 of which was a dead rubber anyway). Most of the matches Cork won were convincing results. We gave first senior experience to what could potentially be our new FB and CB positions, as well as giving more experience to fellas still new to the grade such as Barrett & Connolly.

It would have been great to finish the league with silverware, or at least not getting well beaten in that manner, but still some positives. Improvements to be made for sure too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I think there are 6-7 players in that starting team who are not good enough. The goalkeeper, the fullback, one of the wing backs, one of the midfielders and arguably the entire half forward line. Today was utterly embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Sean O Donoghue should have seen a straight red for stamping down on Jack Pendergast's leg in the 1st half. A horrible nasty thing to do and no place for such behaviour in our games. Could you imagine the uproar if Austin Gleeson did such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Cork in modern times, just can't produce the goods in national finals for love nor money. That was a very disappointing defeat, but hopefully we'll go on to have a decent championship. However between last night and the all Ireland final defeat last year, there's more question marks now about this Cork team i think. Oh well it is what it is! We are the Arsenal of modern day hurling. All flash but little substance. Well done to Waterford on a well deserved victory.

Post edited by Straight Talker on

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement

When Kieran Kingstons term is up, i hope he is replaced by Pat Ryan. Last night was another big test for Cork and Kingston, and they failed sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

Amazed that all the blame is on him when goals are constantly scored down the centre. Half backs bombing forward. Put Joyce centre back now.

Put mellerick in the backs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Parts of the defence have been an issue for years, no solution has been found. That rests squarely on the manager I'm afraid. Anyone playing Cahalane in any Inter County defence deserves criticism- many in here have said year in year out that he is not good enough, yet he is persisted with.

Square peg, round hole.

It is what it is. This is the Cork thread though, people can be as blinkered and biased as they like.😁

• Advertisement

We need to find a dominant full back and dominant centre back. Until we can sort out our defence, we can forget about winning an all Ireland imo. I feel in more modern times, Cork have been producing teams of fancy dans, with no drive or cutting about them. It's been a problem, since Kilkenny rendered the short passing game null and void, in the 2006 all Ireland final.

People seem to think we have no chance, against Limerick in a few weeks time. It's understandable that people think that i suppose, but we'll be going into the Limerick game under the radar now. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but truth be told i'd rather us to be going into the Limerick game, with the league title in the bag tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

We also need a dominant centre half forward, someone big and strong who can just win the ball and distribute it.

Doesnt have to be a skillful player just do the basics and win ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

True. A bit of reality from time to time is good on any thread.

Yes and the reality is that Cork have beaten Kilkenny in last years all Ireland semi final, and this years league semi final.😁

And still won nothing. Another bit of reality for you - Kilkenny are far from the benchmark over the last few years. Cork couldn't beat them from 2006 when Kilkenny were the benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,150 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Very disappointing last night. Only good thing is its not getting my hopes up for another big bang this summer. Fancy it be a quiet summer on both codes. We might get to semi final in hurling but we won't touch Waterford or Limerick.

Cork beat Kilkenny in the 2013 championship as well. It would be nice to see you field a team, in gaelic football again as well. At least Kerry make a fair go of it in hurling their weaker of code!

I fully admire Kerry, treat footballers and decent hurlers. It would also be nice if Cork footballers got support from such a vast population.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

I think we will still give Limerick a good rattle Easter Sunday once management sort out our back six. I just can't spend the next two weeks believing they will keep Coleman at 6 and not put Joyce there or at least in the HB line. Millerick won't start midfield either.

Let the Blaas make themselves favourites for the AI if they want and see if they deal with their own hype!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Not a hope in hell. Not after yesterday's performance.

Oh yes the support or lack of for Cork football is a disgrace altogether. The Waterford county board have had serious financial issues over the years, but they never pulled the plug on the football. They still send a team out every year.

Glad to see you're supporting a winning county now, Waterford.

I'll not hijack this thread. Just to finally say - get John Fogarty to work on getting refs like Sean Stack, and ye might get somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Can anyone give a genuine reason as to why they persist with Mark Coleman at centre back? Ciaran Joyce has got to be put there

We're the greatest all round winning county in the history of the GAA buddy. We don't need advice from you or anyone else for that matter. Keep on firing your stones though boy. They have been collected, and will be fired back with due interest some day. We are Cork after all!

Post edited by Straight Talker on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

It’s legacy now at this stage! Another thing we lack is proper ball winner up front to catch the high ball.. wasn’t that the reason Mark Keane was brought in?

who are the back 6??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

regardless of o'Donohue it still is a huge area of concern surly , are some of them players the answer , because ye probably have the best options of any team in the country from about 8 to 15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

A Niall Mc or Timmy Mc type no.11 is badly needed alright. Plus a full back who can block up the centre, too many teams waltzing through the heart of our defence and getting unchallenged shots on goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Damien Cahalane should throw his lot in with the footballers too. We need a big athletic midfielder with Killian O Hanlon being injured. A county level hurler Cahalane is not.

• Advertisement

Tactics or lack of tactics, would be an issue as well i feel. Cork were way too lose and open in the all Ireland final last year. The lessons from that defeat, quite obviously have not been learned!

Advertisement