Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Kingston should walk. You wouldn’t see those tactics at Junior C level. Embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Thats harsh.

Cork have had most of the possession but its the same old failings, no full back and no ball winner in the full forward line.

I have been watching Cork hurling for a very long time now and over the last few years, the biggest problem we have is lack of physicality, no game plan, management that are clueless and players that are just not good enough. Until we start to solve some of these underlying issues we won't be close to ever winning an All Ireland and thats the truth. The problem with some of the Cork fans is that no matter how bad Cork are you dare say they are poor etc. you would get eaten alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

I love your optimism ringy. This Cork team just ain't good enough to get out of munster never mind win anything. Lots of posters blaming management but the players aren't as good as many of ye think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Why wait til the end of the season? This is his third season and that today my friends is where he has us. Pointless continuing with him, change now and try to salvage something from this season - even some self respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thefa

Capable of upgrades in a few positions perhaps but the idea we have half a dozen Lynchs/Gillanes/Hegartys just looking for the right management to give them a chance/give them a kick up the hole is off the mark. That is the standard of talent we’re talking about to compete regularly with them.

There’s this notion that we amazing hurlers but at the end of the day, it doesn’t hold up against smart and hard-working opposition. Not to mention physicality is an area we’re lacking in and then there’s drive. The opposition have 3 out of 4 all Ireland’s and look more motivated. That can’t be put on management. Commentators remarking multiple times on the forwards not making runs.

I think we’re codding ourselves to suggest we’ve the talent at the moment to win it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Rosita

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭big_drive

I didn't but turns out it was Harnedy not Horgan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Rosita

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭big_drive

I was at feile games yesterday in Cork and a guy there said one of Corks starting forwards was out and he hinted it was Horgan. Obviously I'll know better than listen to rumors in future

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

• Advertisement

Did anyone see Cahalane looking over to the referee when Gillane got away from him for the goal?

There was no foul committed so I have no idea why he did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Tom Thumbless

Lads what a shower of screaming Marys. Ye got plenty handy frees today. Everyone blaming Kingston and while he does look clueless the players are as much to blame. Very little backbone in that team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

We are a very tactically inept team. We haven't learned the lessons from last years all Ireland final, and this years league final at all. I think our problems are that we are a poorly coached team, and our players lack fight heart and character at times as well. We won't win an all Ireland this year, but we need to show improvement in our remaining games, and show some signs that we are learning the lessons from this defeat as well as the other ones!

I hate singling players out, but we need a new full back. Damien Cahalane just won't do there at all. There's even more question marks about Kieran Kingston now i feel as well, but sure there you go. It is what it is. Well done to Limerick, a powerful statement was sent out there that they are the champions, and that they firmly remain the team to beat.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

We did win minor and u20 all Irelands last year, so the talent is obviously there. A better management wouldn't set the team up so naive tactically. A better management, wouldn't keep playing Damien Cahalane at full back. We haven't had a tactically astute manager since John Alllen imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Tom Thumbless

Of course Kingston picks the team and deserves a fair share of the blame but the players need to man up as well. That is not happening at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭deisedude

I think Cork may have the talent coming but its not there yet.

U20's usually take a few years before they are ready for senior, very few make the leap straight away.

As for the minors winning those players are only 18 this year. Could be 4-5 years before they make the step up

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

For the last few weeks we been hearing that Gary Keegan will have their minds right for the Limerick game they will be prepared mentally better what a load of BS the management team lack the basic hurling knowledge. For years cahalane is not a full back. Coleman is not a 6 teams like Limerick know our game plan no plan B stick to the process it seems. After a great start we just lost our way totally three away games now for us not looking good at all unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Reminds me of another team in Red that I follow!! Gutless

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thefa

Exactly. People underestimate the jump between the u18 & u20 to senior as if it’s club level. The physicality alone is a different level.

The u20 footballers win Munster every second year and the the all Ireland back in 2019 but no sign of it having produced exceptional talents to date.

• Advertisement

Ha ha ha unlike me at least you ain't an Everton fan!😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

But do you actually think yee are that good?.

Cork play bad it's alwaysKingston's and Damien cahalanes fault..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

This myth that the talent is there..big difference with under-age and transition to senior..Ask Galway..

Galway did win a senior all Ireland as recently as five years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Would you ever just head off over to the Waterford Forum. Yes Cork are useless we know it but we don't need you on here reminding us of how bad our hurling team is. We aren't winning an All Ireland or Munster we know. We don't need to be reminded especially the realistic Cork fans. Hope Waterford can beat Limerick next weekend and let's hope there's more than one team there that can potentially win the All Ireland.

I see great similarities between now and the time Limerick beat us 3-18 to 1-08 in 1996. Cork hurling was at a low ebb then too but we won the AI three years later. We are probably in a worse situation now because Limerick have beaten us three times in 12 months in the championship by a significant margin. None of the three games were close, Limerick were far superior to us in all of them.

In 1996 the U-21's (as it was called then) won the All-Ireland in the two years after that (1997 and 1998). We have won it in 2020 and 2021. We are obviously not going to win the All-Ireland in 2022, it might take one or two more years. Or maybe we won't win it within that time, it could take longer, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

As a Clareman commenting I am fascinated at how so many cork supporters are in denial about the changes required to ensure that they again start winning all Ireland titles. They assume that Cork have a natural right to win all Irelands regularly. I have spent decades admiring Cork hurling teams, though they repeatedly beat us, often when other teams struggled to do so. Some of the hurling those teams produced was sublime. However, the game has changed. First, Clare under loughnane, kilkenny and now limerick have introduced, or reintroduced, a physical element into the game. This combined with high skill levels and superb organisational structures has seen limerick dominate and Cork, in my humble opinion, fall behind. Too many Cork players do not like any physical challenge. Indeed some are affronted by being tackled. One Cork player yesterday fouled Hegarty and then proceeded to look for medical attention himself even though the TV replays showed that there had been no contact. That looked embarrassing and does Cork hurling no service. Hurling benefits from having a strong Cork team but I am afraid that unless there's a serious examination of their style of play it could be a long wait. I also know that they could beat Clare in Thurles but regardless they do need a radical rethink

It looked like he was looking to the ref alright but I presume he was looking back to see if any cover had tracked back in the time he had held Hayes up tbf to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

That’s being extremely kind to Damien. I wouldn’t describe running out a few yards after your man and falling over as holding him up!

Post edited by Newbie20 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭shockframe

I'd say part of the issue for Cork is that they seem to be obsessed with how 'skillful' the players they have are. Its become one of the biggest cliches in hurling.

Limerick got about 5 to 6 outrageous scores yesterday but you dont hear Limerick bleating on about skills and that.Every county has that but Limerick have such intelligence on the ball, brilliant workrate, immaculate first touch and such ferocious physicality that if you fail to front up they will tear you apart.

Yesterday was one of the most sobering days in Cork Hurling for quite some time but they've been bumbling along for well over a decade now that it was inevitable for them.

Advertisement