Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Seadin

That's one thing in Cork that always seems wrong is the coaching. We have had great teams that haven't done or rarely done the business in all levels over the years.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Any idea who the co-commentator is on the GAA Go coverage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭mossie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Can’t buy a break at any level at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Bad wides cost Cork in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The penalty and black card decison was the real difference.

Cork did a lot better than what most folk would have thought.

I agree with you totally but I felt today was a day we could have caught Kerry off guard as they weren't playing well by their standards. These moral victories are the last thing we want right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Peno and black obviously a big turning point but Cork needed to help themselves. Hurley x 2 and Sherlock x 1 missed decent frees from the left.

Maybe brought Sherlock on a little later than I would have liked, Chris Og was poor inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Threw the game away. Should have won it. Way too many wides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

We should have won that. There was just way too many wides in the end. Still though there's a lot of encouragement to take from that performance imo. We seem to have improved from that defeat to Clare anyway. Mayo would be a big scalp for us if we can take them down. Mayo did knock us out of the 2011, 2014 and 2017 championships, so we do owe them a beating or two at this stage alright! That 2011 quarter final defeat to them still hurts tbh.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 34,144 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Tomorrow could be last time we see Ben O Connor in Cork jersey. What a loss he will be

Hopefully a victory tomorrow after being so close in Munster Championship in senior..

Another u20 title will give us bit of hope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

O'Connor at 6, Downey in midfield. Cunningham at 11

This strength down the middle could well be the difference. I remember thinking Offaly were not particularly big while we have a fine few big men.

I think if we can control their full forward line, we will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Ye should win.. Offaly are a small side. You might get away with it at a younger age but not at 20's upwards. Cork by 7 plus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

we could rattle mayo next week, they barely beat Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

2 points up at halftime. Half rooting for Offaly here. Embarrassing tactics from our lads, trying to bully and rough up the Offaly players who are clearly younger and physically smaller. Screeney causing havoc. We're more interested in trying to get a big hit than playing the game.

If we concentrate on playing in the 2nd half we can win this handy enough especially with the bench we have but I have my doubts. We need to keep 15 on the pitch for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

When they're down..keep them down.

We've been bullied long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Congrats to Ben O' Connor and all involved in a super u20 win.

HON DA REBELS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Great win for Cork! Really enjoyed this win. Coverage was non stop Offaly beforehand and of course great to see them doing well but this Cork team is excellent. Screeney is fantastic to watch but what annoys me is you go near him and it seems like a free. One in the second half where he did brilliant to knock the sliothar away from a Cork player but then grabbed the Cork players hurley and pulled him to the ground. He got a free somehow. No doubt he was fouled a lot too but this is the big time. No one should be letting anyone run through and Cork did the right thing. Sick of us parting like the red sea and letting guys run unopposed.

One thing manager Ben O'Connor is brilliant at this year is tweaking things and adjusting. Completely shut down Offaly in the second half. I am reminded of Kieran Kingston with the seniors who never seemed to have a plan B whereas Ben seems to adjust things very well to what is happening. I have seen him do that a lot this year.

Our 14th title at this level! We are on top of the roll of honour too!

Mullins was exceptional. Led by example. Lot of great performances throughout team. Buckley, Healy, Cunningham, Leahy all were top quality. See the scorers below

A thoroughly enjoyable and merited win.

Savage Offaly crowd travelled.

Heat was tough on the lads.

First 10 of the second half -we blew them away.

Delighted with the win, never got back from Thurles so quickly!!

I've said it before, that is a seriously good Cork team and deserved their moment in the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

Would Cunningham not have been worth a look this year with the seniors?

Did he play part of the early round in the league?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Delighted with the way Cork played today! About time we weren’t second best in the physical side of things! I see Offaly are having a moan, but **** it, if it was them who had the bigger side they’d be roughing us up too.

hon the rebels

Great win and that's three u20 all Irelands in four years now. There's a few complaints about the nasty Cork lads being too tough and rough, but i couldn't give one flying eff!😀 It's about time a Cork team showed a bit of toughness. We've been nice, polite and meek losers for way too long!

It's about time we get with the effing program! This team has all the ingredients that are needed, to achieve success at senior level and it's managed by a legend of Cork hurling in Ben O'Connor to boot. Well done to all concerned with this great win and up the effing Rebels!😀

I think we will get away with it! This team has all the ingredients that are needed for success, they have the toughness, the skill, the Corkness and is managed by an absolute Cork hurling legend in Ben O'Connor.

Other counties have done it to us for long enough mate. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,144 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

People complaing about Cork being physical is bit laughable. We been the weak guys for 15+years.

This u20 had it all. May it long last.

Absolutely. I knew there was a physical advantage and it really showed the longer the game went on. 1 challenge in particular could have been red early on, but to see Cork getting stuck in and not taking a backward step was great. Too often the physicality has let Cork down and fellas going on about soft, wristy hurlers etc.

Delighted today went the way that it did.

O'Connor spoke well about this squad since the start of the year, he was 100% correct !!

• Advertisement

When it's Kilkenny and Limerick they say ah sure hurling is a tough and manly game etc. When Cian Lynch nearly broke one of our players neck in that 2021 all Ireland final, there was no effing tears being shed for us i can tell you that. When Cork finally show a bit of toughness there's a national outcry. We have no need to apologise to anyone.

Kilkenny under Cody and the Limerick team of recent years have taken hurling down this road. Of course those teams had the skill as well, and so does this Cork team. This Cork team look's like it won't take any sh!t from anyone. As i said in an earlier post, it's about time we got with the program in Cork. It's only taken seventeen years for us to do so after all!

Advertisement