Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Some of the players are simply not good enough. Big stage again getting to them, not showing up. People saying progress, not sure if that’s true. Another year where we had hope and fucked it against a poor team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cant give a goal away straight after scoring like that. 3 or 4 bad wides in the the first half and quote a few soft frees for them. We weren't good enough today but we really made life too hard for ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭thefa

Absolutely. Pure momentum killer. Crowd was getting into it and dead 30 seconds later.

I think there’s definitely been progress in attitude this season, bit more fight in the team. Couple of new players discovered too.

Think some trick themselves into thinking we have some amazing players but the fact is we don’t. Like that wasn’t a poor team today, few of Derry minimum will be in with a shot at an all star if they make it no further.

Execution was poor for a lot of the game today but the team probably maxed out their potential for the season for me. Need some more quality before we’ll be in wit a shot of an All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

There’s definitely been progress. Just need the younger lads to get stronger. The players are there. Ref was poor for us and our shooting was poor. On another day, we’d have turned over a few of those soft frees and put over a couple of those wides. As some have said Derry are poor they’ll get hockied by Kerry or Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Another poster said we’d be better off playing a mayo or Dublin and I agree. Much more direct and suits us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Seadin

I believe if you are good enough and have good quality players, you will beat whoever you play. Just look at how Kerry do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

There was probably too much spokken about beating Mayo but that wasn't a knockout game.

Roscommon was credible but winning at home is not exactly earth shattering.

They really could do springing a Donnacha O Connor type forward.

Conor Corbett looks promising but not quite there yet.

The rest are just a step below what's required for big time Football.

Football needs Cork to emerge. They've done alright getting to this stage but the slowness of both sides today won't really cut it especially when compared to the first half of Dublin Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I think playing for the third weekend in a row was a factor. Between that and the penalty shootout nonsense, the GAA really do need to sort this out. We made a lot of progress this year, but we're still a fair bit off the top teams imo. Dublins trouncing of Mayo has cast a different light on our win over them. We need to get up to division one as soon as possible, and we need to find more scoring forwards. We're still overly reliant on Steven Sherlock and Brian Hurley up front.

We need to work on playing with pace and intensity as well. Slow, ponderous and laborious play won't win you any all Irelands. It's all about making the gradual improvement and progress year after year, and keep on doing it and building on it until you're ready to win the all Ireland. Are we a better team than last year? I think the answer to that question is a resounding yes. Well done to Derry, i hope either they or Monaghan win the all Ireland now.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Ref absolutely rode us -whtas up with him ?

Steven Sherlock was better off as an impact sub. Did very little today starting bar kick few 45s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

to be honest hurley got smothered by the derry defense too when he came on , the dery defensive structure is top class , their last second tackling is unreal , i would look at the cork half forward line as the weak link for scores

if the top two teams in each group got through and not the sep blatter nonsense that the gaa are persisting with cork would have got the extra week off , not one team that finished 3rd actually benefited from finishing 3rd , mayo were bolixed today they would have been better off losing in limerick and moving on to next year

We will see how good this Derry defence is when the Kerry forwards will shoot the lights out against them in the semi. They will destroy them that's a fact. They will beat them out the gate, that's coming fact and we will see how Derrys defence copes with it.

Kerry have 4-5 top class scoring forwards, Cork don't have that luxury. I couldn't understand why none of the forwards could take a shot on for a point when they were close to the goals, they were running into tackles and getting swarmed each time and losing the ball getting dispossessed. Nightmare stuff. Cleary should have seen this was a big problem and changed plans immediately. Cork football is in dire straits in the county, we can be fooling ourselves by saying we made progress this year when we are miles off the big teams. We have to be realistic. Bar a surprising win v Mayo we aren't a great team at all and we have along way to go before we are good enough to win or compete for All Irelands again. We couldn't beat Kerry when we played them at home and they had serious heavy training done.

A wrong penalty call and a black card cost us against Kerry. I feel we've made a lot of progress this year, but as i already said we're still a fair bit of the top teams. Derry are a decent team and i think they can rattle Kerry's cage at the very least.

The lads we have in the half forward line are very hard workers, but they don't contribute enough scores. Hopefully we'll have Cathail O'Mahony back next year, and i think the management need to give Luke Connolly another go as well.

the game is complexed at the moment fine , we got destroyed by kerry trying to play with a definsive system and lost by 14 . tyrone yesterday lost by 12 doing the same thing i dont think derry will lose by the same margin and will make it close but kerry are diffrent level against the blanket

its like swan lake or broadway the way their forwards flood inside the 12 to 14 man defensive system the opposition set up outside the D and just move all over the place , to play the kerry system you must be so unselfish , for example in our game in the munster final sean o shea or paul ganey hardly got more then a couple of shots off on goal in the entire game , but they constantlantly pulled and dragged the clare definsive system all over the place creating huge space for the clifford brothers to destroy us , yesterday tyrone had a plan for david , it worked he kicked 7 wides form play and only one point from play but lost by 12

when cork played kerry and used their excellent speed and ran at kerry you caused some amount of trouble , cork are not that far off but do need to increase the talent in the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I do think we have improved but until Cork gets structures right and devlop the right type of footballers we will always be behind.

Dublin and Kerry are scary ahead of everyone else.

We are least 5 players short of even being competive with top 2.

The Cork footballers can hold heads high and I'm sure gave it everything but we need look at what we are developing.

Football is still the cousin to Hurling in Cork and not much will change if we are doing same thing over and over.

I find it hard to see how Derry are going to make it hard for Kerry. Look at what Galway did to Derry last year and Dublin in the League this year. As bad as Cork were today, Derry just about stumbled over the line when they should have been out of sight. Kerry have too many good forwards that can kick points. Cork didn't have one that could do that today.

Post edited by Seadin on

"when cork played kerry and used their excellent speed and ran at kerry you caused some amount of trouble , cork are not that far off but do need to increase the talent in the panel"

Cork ran at speed because Kerry were after heavy training at the time which paid dividends to their performance now. Cork would be beaten by 10+ points if the same game was played again.

I said to myself when we won Sam Maguire in 2010, that Cork won't be that long waiting for a football all Ireland ever again. Well it's thirteen going on fourteen years now. We have made progress this year, but yeah this train has a long way to travel before it reaches it's final destination.

• Advertisement

Going by history it takes Cork anything from 20-30 years to win one Senior Football All Ireland, with 1989-90 being an exception. For a county the size of Cork that's really disappointing. Can't understand we can't learn from our neighbours and see what exactly are they doing to develop good footballers at underage level. Surely Cork has the talent when is far greater numbers playing gaa in the county. Cant really understand why standards are poor in the county itself.

People can say Cork is a hurling county but we are pretty starved of silverware there now since 2005 it seems.

fair enough but i doubt it , kerry had just lost to mayo and couldnt afford another loss as it risked being shunted out of the championship altogether ,

We've only won four all Irelands in both codes since 1990. That's a poor enough return for a county of our size and playing resources.

bigger population then iceland , time to dress john creadon up as Terrance the barber and get the masses back on side again 😂

We aren't too far away in the hurling. All Irelands are harder to win nowadays imo.

great work in both codes , rugby is killing ye in west cork in fairness, it also seems there is huge pressure on the shoulders of the hurlers in the last 6 or 7 years at senior

I’ve thought about this previously and it doesn’t feel like we just get unlucky. Must be an element which has to do to with being behind the curve when it comes to development. Whether there’s an element of complacency having such a big pick (in theory), lack of strategy or lack of funds..

Like there’s been numerous years since 2010 in the football where we’ve been middle of the road in terms of the 32 counties, not just the odd blip. Haven’t been a real all Ireland contender for the last decade.

There seems to be a dearth of talent across the county when it comes to the forwards. A really lack of natural scorers and lads who can take on defenders at the top level. Luke Connolly might be worth a shot again. On his day a very good player but can go missing too.

What are Cork actually doing to develop good talent? Why do our neighbours always produce good footballers no matter what era or decade they always get star players who are top class.We must ask ourselves the question what are Cork actually doing to develop good players? Obviously not alot. How come we never develop a David Clifford, Colm Cooper, kieran Donaghy, James o donaghue, Seanie o shea type of player ever? We never could or never could play good football. Even the 1987-93 team didn't win half enough for the talent they were supposed to have. Cork has a large population who play GAA compared to Kerry but are no where near the standard Kerry produce. Kerry always doing something right. The worst Kerry team I ever saw playing football were always competitive and could still beat the best. They have 7 All Irelands won since 2000 and were in alot of finals in that time as well. They are a great team nearly every year they play.

• Advertisement

I don't think bringing back Luke Connolly is the answer either imho.

Advertisement