Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Cork football is just a disgrace. Until we get someone like JFD or a successful manager outside of Cork to coach the team we won't be winning anything soon. The managers appointed over the last few years couldn't manage themselves out of a paper bag.
    Liam KEarns is the man for me. Kerry man, who has beat us in Munster Championship as manager of Limerick and Tipeprary.
    DellyBelly wrote: »
    Those guys who represent Cork must feel ashamed tonight. I suppose you can't blame them. If you are selected the you play. However Cork is a proud county but those players really disgraced themselves today
    They were selected to play, and given a game plan to play, they did that and neither were good enough to beat Kerry or Tyrone. The real qestions are:
    a) Is there better players in the county and if so why aren't they picked? Seems to me that politics are picking squads rather than ability.
    b) If we're saying there isn't better players, then why. What's gone wrong at underage development.
    c) Whose gameplan was it to play Kerry/Tyrone with side open expansive football? Did Ronan Mc really think this Cork team could make that work, when every other county (and most clubs) are playing tactical football, or was he pressured into doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

The county board need to go way back to Kerry with their tail between their legs and get Jack O’Connor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Does anyone have any indication as to whether cork will play on the Saturday or the Sunday of the weekend of the semi finals? Or is it still totally up in the air? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

dulux99 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any indication as to whether cork will play on the Saturday or the Sunday of the weekend of the semi finals? Or is it still totally up in the air? Thanks.

Different people have told me different things but I think it still has not been decided yet by the GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Different people have told me different things but I think it still has not been decided yet by the GAA

What do you reckon yourself if you had to guess? Fingers crossed for the Sunday. Accomodation for the Saturday is far more expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Always prefer sundays too but its up to the GAA in their infinite wisdom!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Water John wrote: »
    Full back and captain of Russia last night was 38. Both Stringer and O'Callaghan playing high level rugby at 39. Exceptions yes.
    Cork were in the top 3/4 six years ago. Have sadly slipped badly since then, when they should have pushed on.
    Professional athletes, there aren't many playing IC GAA to that age

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Alot of people go on about county board but its the clubs are at fault in reality.first the system should be divided into leagues with every adult team graded from top to bottom.in a county tge size of cork you could be talking 15 or so divisions.but i would still retain a divisional championship in some format at the lower grades.in other words a junior b club could rise up to senior over the years if it did its business right and a senior club could drop to junior b if its not preforming.positions in the league decide who plays senior with the bottom club in each of the 2top divisions dropping to intermediate in that year and the top two in the next two divisions going senior in that year.and so on with intermediate and junior.
    Next up put an organisation in charge of underage developement.in reality this should be based in the sxhools as the squad system is difficult in a county the size of cork due to travelling .an important point here is tokeep clubs out of the system as there is too much pulling and mollycoddling players due to club agendas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Just rewatching yesterday's game on the Sunday Game and a few more observations. What a ****ing disgusting, gutless performance. A lot of people here said they should never wear the jersey again and I tend to agree after rewatching. They couldn't give a ****, it's completely obvious from watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Seadin

there is a chance for Tomas o se to come into the Cork setup and fix some of the problems. But he probably wouldn't align himself to the Rebels. something must change if Cork football has a future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Just rewatching yesterday's game on the Sunday Game and a few more observations. What a ****ing disgusting, gutless performance. A lot of people here said they should never wear the jersey again and I tend to agree after rewatching. They couldn't give a ****, it's completely obvious from watching.

A lot Cork football issues stem from county board attitude towards football. If John Cleary was appointed instead of Brian Cuthbert when Counihan stepped down in 2011 would Cork football be in dire straits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Gael85 wrote: »
    A lot Cork football issues stem from county board attitude towards football. If John Cleary was appointed instead of Brian Cuthbert when Counihan stepped down in 2011 would Cork football be in dire straits?

I believe if Cleary went in that time we still be competitive anyway at the very least. Awful game last night. I have given up going to Cork football matches they just frustrate me. I don't mind being beaten but to be hammered in two games is just horrible and with no game plan. McCarthy hasn't a clue and no matter what plan he has in his term he isn't going to change Cork football from bad to good and that's a fact. He is clueless and this is out of his league. Players should also take a good look at themselves and walk away if they don't wear the jersey with pride. we are rebels not quitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I think that’s an offensive remark considering the efforts of Cork’s successful footballers 1987-90 when they won four Munster championships and two All Ireland’s. Little did they think they’d have their great efforts wiped off someone’s shoe 30 years later.

I am in no way questioning that outstanding bunch of players - gave me my greatest memories as a Cork Football supporter (along with 1983 and that goal!) - my comment was meant to reflect that the style and nature of the game has moved on so much and to play without a game plan that relates to the here and now is ridiculous.

Tomas O'Se had it spot on on the Sunday Game about Cork football - Some great football people but not getting the support needed - A seperate football board is required - Works in Galway and they are on course to retain the All Ireland Hurling and there or thereabouts in the next year or 2 to win an All Ireland Football - and less than half our population!

westcork67 wrote: »
    I am in no way questioning that outstanding bunch of players - gave me my greatest memories as a Cork Football supporter (along with 1983 and that goal!) - my comment was meant to reflect that the style and nature of the game has moved on so much and to play without a game plan that relates to the here and now is ridiculous.

Tomas O'Se had it spot on on the Sunday Game about Cork football - Some great football people but not getting the support needed - A seperate football board is required - Works in Galway and they are on course to retain the All Ireland Hurling and there or thereabouts in the next year or 2 to win an All Ireland Football - and less than half our population!
    Worth pointing out that Galway were certainly in the doldrums there for a while, but the managed to continually churn out decent minor sides. I think they're problem was nurturing that talent into the senior setup, which they've started to do - their team is quite young if I'm not mistaken.

If you're trying to turn around Corks footballing fortunes, it starts with this years u14 development squads working towards minor, the minors working towards u20 & the u20s progressing to Junior and senior - currently there's fúck all continuity in Cork football in bringing through talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭MfMan

westcork67 wrote: »

Tomas O'Se had it spot on on the Sunday Game about Cork football - Some great football people but not getting the support needed - A seperate football board is required - Works in Galway and they are on course to retain the All Ireland Hurling and there or thereabouts in the next year or 2 to win an All Ireland Football - and less than half our population![/QUOTE]

Hope you're right re: Galway's future successes! They don't have separate boards anymore though, strictly speaking, although there are separate officials in certain areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,160 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm no insider into Cork GAA but what I notice about going to games in both codes is that there seems be acceptance that we should just get beat to Kerry and never seems be any anger when we get beat, compared to Hurlers.

Dublin have proved that no matter how much money you pump onto both codes, 1 will still be on top, but we have people who love football in the county as much as Hurling.

I remember roasting the Cork Football team from 2006 to 2013 from time to time but by God I take those days now.

There are 2/3 times more footballers than hurlers in the county. There's zero excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RebelRising18

Manager from the outside is what's needed. Strength and conditioning is not up to standard and we need a manger who can introduce an attacking minded football back into Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

Attack is not our main issue based on the last matches - we need somebody to build from the back much sa Kevin Walsh has done in Galway - Some of the defending against Tyrone you'd give out ot an under 14 player for - they had enough time to lace their shoes before taking some of their scores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

+1 to a manager from outside just so that there's no lads getting games just because of their ties and links. There's some players getting minutes who shouldn't be even on the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

" Donnacadh O'Connor is a fantastic servant and seems a genuinely decent fella"
    Thanks Donnacadh for all the great moments you gave me over the years especially now that I dont live in Cork anymore I was especially proud to tell people that I played football with his Father and Uncles some family the"O Connors " there will surely a big night in" Johny Deas" in due course sad that he had to go when Cork are at an all time low

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The last two games for the footballers were embarrassing and my local club is a dual club and I like football but are we to believe that those players are 30 best players in a county the size of Cork ? I don't think it is but if it is then Gaelic football in county cork is in a bad way. And that's not meant as a knock to the lads on the panel as any person would jump at the chance to play for their county.

I've a friend working in the McDonalds in Douglas who said the Nemo lads and Aidan Walsh drove through that night without a care in the world, acting as if nothing had happened.

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    I've a friend working in the McDonalds in Douglas who said the Nemo lads and Aidan Walsh drove through that night without a care in the world, acting as if nothing had happened.

Aidan Walsh has often been cleaned out in club level with kanturk and he still gets the nod in football. He is overrated and not up the county standard. some will disagree with me but he isn't good enough full stop. one of the most overrated players to line out for Cork. He should never again put on a Cork jersey in any sport. shameful. He is one of the most frustrating players to watch along with Paul Kerrigan.

Best thing is to boycott Cork football when nothing is being done in the county board to improve Cork football. Don't go watch and waste money on the Cork footballers when they play and hit the top guys in the county board where it hurts. They obviously arent doing anything to improve the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭pakie ed

Aidan Walsh has often been cleaned out in club level with kanturk and he still gets the nod in football. He is overrated and not up the county standard. some will disagree with me but he isn't good enough full stop. one of the most overrated players to line out for Cork. He should never again put on a Cork jersey in any sport. shameful. He is one of the most frustrating players to watch along with Paul Kerrigan.

Best thing is to boycott Cork football when nothing is being done in the county board to improve Cork football. Don't go watch and waste money on the Cork footballers when they play and hit the top guys in the county board where it hurts. They obviously arent doing anything to improve the situation.

That's a shameful attack on those player's. You are very brave hiding behind your screen. So called supporter's like you disgust me. Your probably never played at any level and won f::k all.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,160 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jaysus to pick Paul Kerrigan of all players.

The guy is maybe the guy with most guts in the team. Least he tries.

I've played against Aidan Walsh at club level and while he can be patchy, he's got plenty of ability. He's a fine athlete, who more can be got out of. As for him playing IC midfield - no, don't think he's up to that, but he should be a fella kept on as a wing forward IMO.

Kerrigan owes nobody a thing at this stage, he's been a great servant to Cork football, has an All Ireland medal and was clearly focused on club this year - he's had a long season this last year culminating in a lost AI club final - possibly his last chance to win it who knows so if his performance has been lacking for Cork, fair enough, he's done enough previously to get a pass so far as I'm concerned.

I think Cork lack dangerous forwards who really provide a threat. Given the tonking Kerry gave them, followed by the Tyrone scoreline - you'd have to wonder is there any defensive system in place, are players being told where to press, is there a plan from kickouts. As somebody alluded to in an earlier post - you should at the very least be setup to be hard to beat and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Seems there will be no confirmation of the day for the hurling SF until after the QF's this weekend.

http://gaacork.ie/news/10041610/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

HE has more gut than guts at the moment unfortunately.

And that's not a knock on him, he's just back from injury, he shouldn't have been picked by management until fit

• Advertisement

He goes missing when Cork need him. just saying. Dangerous player when Cork are flying but when they need someone to step up to the plate he isn't a candidate or a leader. Sad to see DOC retiring. He was a great man and had fire in him which some of the others could aspire to.

Advertisement