Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Doubt it will be more than 65k. I'll be there though, can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Doubt it will be more than 65k. I'll be there though, can't wait.

72000 last year for the semi iirc. Could easily see that be beaten, Limerick are much better supported than Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

eigrod wrote: »
    60K to 65K would be a very good crowd for a semi final
    Cork/Tipp got 68k a few years back, that was about the biggest I remember. Limerick should top the 70k mark I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Fixture

Limerick could start favourites after today. The pundits love KK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Fixture wrote: »

They probably will. I am delighted with Limerick winning. All the talk will be about them as they have just played. As I type, Jackie Tyrell says they will win! We keep being underestimated and its great for us!

KK seem to raise their game when they play us whereas I think we will beat Limerick comfortably. We would beat KK too but it would be a lot tighter.
    Last time, we let Limerick get a foothold in the game from the start and once we get going we will have too much firepower for them.

It will be a Cork v Galway final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Fixture wrote: »

that will suit Cork down to the ground. we will play better not going in as favourites I would feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

that will suit Cork down to the ground. we will play better not going in as favourites I would feel.

Cork 5/6 Limerick 6/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

This semi final will be a cracker ,most pundits will back limerick.For a lot of these limerick lads it will be their first taste of croker that could play a factor.If Meyler and co get the matchups right defensively,we should have enough firepower down the other end to squeak through but it will take a huge effort u feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,158 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We won't this with comfort and its going be tough game.

I give Cork slight edge and I think if both teams play to potential Cork win by couple but in no way are we a banker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Some of the talk about Limerick is crazy. They've a strong young team but it's their first year in ages to appear as a contender. Some fella on Radio 1 after the match said they'll have an all Ireland in the next 3 seasons, madness after one decent season to say that.

Though I'm not unhappy with this talk, suits us down to the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Some of the talk about Limerick is crazy. They've a strong young team but it's their first year in ages to appear as a contender. Some fella on Radio 1 after the match said they'll have an all Ireland in the next 3 seasons, madness after one decent season to say that.

very impressed with the work john myler has done , cork have improved tenfold under him , ye have a super team as it is e should be going ver close if not all the way this year ,

jump on the bandwagon native rebels :)

It's built off 2 U21 all Ireland in the past 3 years, and Na Piarsaigh winning and losing an All-Ireland in those 3 years.

They've the right building blocks in place to build a successful team, but devils advocate says Seniors is a whole different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It's built off 2 U21 all Ireland in the past 3 years, and Na Piarsaigh winning and losing an All-Ireland in those 3 years.

They've the right building blocks in place to build a successful team, but devils advocate says Seniors is a whole different story.

Well they are not doing 2 bad so far . Fair play to them V young side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭MfMan

very impressed with the work john myler has done , cork have improved tenfold under him , ye have a super team as it is e should be going ver close if not all the way this year ,

jump on the bandwagon native rebels :)

Debatable. He's gotten them no further yet than last year and the team, as evidenced by the Munster final for just one example, can be very hot-and-cold in a single match. Weaknesses also persist in the defensive lines. At their best they play with elan, but Limerick will relish the semi-final joust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

They'll be there for thereabouts and anyone saying otherwise has the blinkers on. People like to discredit U21s but Limerick's 21 teams have been lethal and the players aren't small lively fellas, they're big strong hurlers with very good hurling brains. Usually the 21s will bring through a few decent lads to kick on but Limerick are bringing the bones of the entire panel through due to them being such good hurlers as well as built for senior hurling. That's extremely rare and it is a testament to how good those 21 teams were. You look at Galway and Kilkenny, only one or two from Galway have made the jump recently whereas Kilkenny's glaring lack of elite talent coming through is there to see, there are lads on that Kilkenny hurling team now who wouldn't be given a trial three or four years ago. Richie Leahy is an exception of course. We all know players that were great underage but didn't have the physical gifts to follow it through to senior.

Hayes, Morrissey and Hegarty are all young lads, Hayes and Morrissey especially, and they're built like sh*t houses. Lads like Gillane, O' Donovan and Lynch aren't huge but they're strong and very keen for the dirty work. Finn and English are very good corner backs and well able to get stuck in, yesterday English threw his legs and foot in the way when the hurley was gone such is the commitment. Mike Casey a fine full back. All 3 won the 21 in 2015. Throw in lads like Casey, Dowling, Nash and Ronan Lynch, lads who'd be starting for a lot of other counties and you've ferocious ability on the bench as well.

I'm very nervous about the semi...I do feel Croke Park is a big advantage for us as Limerick can be got at down the middle through Hannon and Lehane and Harnedy should thrive but at the same time Flanagan is likely going to roast Cahalane with his movement dragging him all over the place. Spillane and O Donoghue will be too busy with Gillane and Mulcahy so I'm not sure what they'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Semi final tickets are available online now.

Semi final tickets are available online now.

Anyone manage to get any seats (only terrace showing for me)

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Anyone manage to get any seats (only terrace showing for me)

I got Cusack Lower shortly after 2pm.

I got Cusack Lower shortly after 2pm.

Cusack st also ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I reckon it will be dead close, with cork sneaking past by 2/3 points,

i reckon we will see plenty of goals aswell,

• Advertisement

They must be putting them on sale in limited batches as there's no way stand tickets are sold out by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Just got offered Lower Cusack Section 303...do they release Upper decks as soon as Lower are sold out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Just got mighty lower Cusack tickets. The trick is to keep refreshing and have the stadium seating map open next to ya. Roll on Croker.

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Just got mighty lower Cusack tickets. The trick is to keep refreshing and have the stadium seating map open next to ya. Roll on Croker.

Seems all the tickets for sale atm are for lower Cusack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Seems all the tickets for sale atm are for lower Cusack

Hogan and Terrace were available for me too. Picked Cusack because it's easier to get in and out of imo.

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Hogan and Terrace were available for me too. Picked Cusack because it's easier to get in and out of imo.

Both set of fans then are snapping up the lower cusack ..

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

What kind of cork crowd will we see in croker,in the region of 40 k?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭lim4ev

What kind of cork crowd will we see in croker,in the region of 40 k?

That'd be about correct and 30 to 35 from limerick I'd guess

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

They probably will. I am delighted with Limerick winning. All the talk will be about them as they have just played. As I type, Jackie Tyrell says they will win! We keep being underestimated and its great for us!

KK seem to raise their game when they play us whereas I think we will beat Limerick comfortably. We would beat KK too but it would be a lot tighter.
    Last time, we let Limerick get a foothold in the game from the start and once we get going we will have too much firepower for them.

It will be a Cork v Galway final

Limerick drew with Cork in corks home pitch having lost their centre back and captain after 5 minutes and the free taker to a red card after 20 odd yet Jackie tyrell is some kind of odd ball for tipping them to win in a neutral venue.

Meanwhile you offer us the calm sage opinion that limerick will take a clipping off Cork, kilkenny might have kept it tight for a bit against ye and Galway are definitely going to beat Clare.

the subtext being no doubt that the all Ireland is in the bag because after hammering limerick Galway will be spooked by the red jersey and will fold as easily as Limerick are about to.

Those crazy hype merchants in Limerick.

How comfortable did you expect last years win v Waterford to be. After all ye beat them handy in Munster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

They'll be there for thereabouts and anyone saying otherwise has the blinkers on. People like to discredit U21s but Limerick's 21 teams have been lethal and the players aren't small lively fellas, they're big strong hurlers with very good hurling brains. Usually the 21s will bring through a few decent lads to kick on but Limerick are bringing the bones of the entire panel through due to them being such good hurlers as well as built for senior hurling. That's extremely rare and it is a testament to how good those 21 teams were. You look at Galway and Kilkenny, only one or two from Galway have made the jump recently whereas Kilkenny's glaring lack of elite talent coming through is there to see, there are lads on that Kilkenny hurling team now who wouldn't be given a trial three or four years ago. Richie Leahy is an exception of course. We all know players that were great underage but didn't have the physical gifts to follow it through to senior.

Hayes, Morrissey and Hegarty are all young lads, Hayes and Morrissey especially, and they're built like sh*t houses. Lads like Gillane, O' Donovan and Lynch aren't huge but they're strong and very keen for the dirty work. Finn and English are very good corner backs and well able to get stuck in, yesterday English threw his legs and foot in the way when the hurley was gone such is the commitment. Mike Casey a fine full back. All 3 won the 21 in 2015. Throw in lads like Casey, Dowling, Nash and Ronan Lynch, lads who'd be starting for a lot of other counties and you've ferocious ability on the bench as well.

I'm very nervous about the semi...I do feel Croke Park is a big advantage for us as Limerick can be got at down the middle through Hannon and Lehane and Harnedy should thrive but at the same time Flanagan is likely going to roast Cahalane with his movement dragging him all over the place. Spillane and O Donoghue will be too busy with Gillane and Mulcahy so I'm not sure what they'll do.

2015 under 21s that have played senior this year for limerick
    S Finn, R English, M Casey; D Byrnes G Hegarty; D O’Donovan, P Ryan C Lynch D Dempsey; T Morrissey B Nash

hayes, Flanagan , and Peter Casey are still under 21

very very young team so there is unlikely to be any baggage

It could be said that Cork are the team that could have the hand of history on them in this match
    A lot of them have never beaten anyone other than Dublin in Croke park
    and the losses have been comfortable for the opposition where cork were really never in the game.

7 or 8 of corks current 26 played in 2013

since then despite decent enough munster campaigns and winning munsters they have been hammered in two semi finals and were also hammered in a quarter final

The only close defeat since 13 was the loss to wexford in 2016.

The team under the greatest pressure to win an all Ireland here is cork as Clare and Galway both have the medals and limerick are extremely young

Advertisement