Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Hopefully we can make it out of Munster mate, and then we'll take it from there. We will win sweet eff all though until we improve in the defence. We made things so easy for the Clare forwards today.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 14,677 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I suppose the bottlers/chokers talk would be more for the fact Cork beat Limerick twice this year and it was there for the taking (and they were betting favs). Cork had ‘everything going for them’ I suppose, so it feels a big let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I understand that but no way you could accuse that Cork team of choking today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,677 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It was a great game of hurling in fairness! I feel that we need to improve in the backs if we are to win that all Ireland. I said we'd win if we kept Clare goalless, but unfortunately that didn't happen!

It was a tough day at the office for some of our youngers lads, but they'll be all the better for the experience. I do think the future is still bright for this Cork team please god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Seadin

I thought the same in 2006 and 2013 and 2021 and see how long it took to get into All Ireland Finals. Cork have lost the confidence they have of winning tight games. In 2021 Limerick were red hot favourites and we didn't even challenge for it. Today we were favourites and we couldn't get over the line.

The lads from the u20 teams know how to win. Of course doing it at senior level is another thing entirely though!

We will get to finals again. But we must start winning them and we are still fragile. Maybe we should try and win the league first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭almostover

Ultimately the same old failing cost us, as they have done so for the last 10 years. We don't have any ball winners in the half forward line, a la Niall Mc or Timmy Mc, as we had on the last team to win an AI. They don't need to be great hurlers, just able to win a dirty ball. Once only did one of our forwards win a clean high ball today, and that was the last puck of the game. If the ball went to ground, 7 times out of 10 a Clare man came away with it. Our lads want to play nice, fast, skillful hurling. You have to earn the right to do that by winning sh*t ball when it's there to be won. Until we solve that the famine will continue.

I don't buy the defensive frailty angle. Clare had so much possession because we couldn't go toe to toe with them on the dirty 60/40 ball. No defence can survive that onslaught. By rights Clare should have won by 3-4 pts in normal time only they were wasteful in front of goal.

Post edited by almostover at

Of course we should we haven't won the effing thing since 1998 after all!

• Advertisement

What we need to sort out next year are 1 Defending and our defensive structure in general. 2 Improve on our ability to win the breaking ball. 3 Find someone to win the dirty ball up front as well. 4 Management can also improve tactically.

I think we also need to kick up more of a fuss when we're getting ridden roughshod by the officials as well. We should also bring lads like Michael Mullins, Ben Cunningham and Will Buckley into the panel next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

Corks last shot of the game .…ref left clare away with this all day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

From a meath man hardluck lads you lit up the championship this year with your fanfare and exciting games.

I thought all thing's equal a draw was fair. Clare missed a lot of chances and the ref rode cork. But the reality is Clare missed those chances and the ref/umpires missed some crazy calls.

I think next year Limerick will come roaring back and depending on Waterford Munster could be a nightmare just to get out of. Best of luck next year and thanks for the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭roshje

What is the problem with Cork hurlers that in 58 years they have only won 10 All Irelands while Kilkenny have won double that amount in that span?

We're just too effing nice in Cork. That reff had a shocker. Our players should've been in his face letting him know that imo. We're still a bit soft and a bit too nice in Cork. Any other county from the leading contenders, would not have given those Clare forwards the space they got today.

It's a long way back from here. I'm not sure we can get there without some big changes to the makeup of the panel. Numerous management teams now have now have failed to sort the defending problem out. It's been an issue going all the way back to 2013 at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yes Cork did the hard work in beating Limerick …twice.

Its a real sickener losing to a Clare team who lost to Limerick twice and should have been dead and buried by Kilkenny in the semi final.

We needed a few players to grab the game by the neck today but it just didnt happen.

Why did Cork persist with long puckouts when they were getting cleaned out in the half forward line, they should have mixed it up.

A few matches ago they were obsessed with playing it out from the back.

Ultimately the same old failing cost us, as they have done so for the
    last 10 years. We don't have any ball winners in the half forward line, a
    la Niall Mc or Timmy Mc, as we had on the last team to win an AI. They
    don't need to be great hurlers, just able to win a dirty ball. Once only
    did one of our forwards win a clean high ball today, and that was the
    last puck of the game.

Thats true, but the half forward line won alot of ball against Limerick who have a better half forward line than Clare.

Why was today different ?

Cheers mate gaelic football really needs both ourselves and you back at the top table again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭almostover

Twas an anomaly really. That is a very strong Clare half back line. Possible stronger than Limerick when it come to winning primary possession. The Limerick half back line are better hurlers but Clare are dogged. We need to develop a few rough animals in the half forward line.

Post edited by almostover at

I watched the game back there again and we had chances to win it and dodgy ref decisions didn't help. Cork could have won it all the same. This one hurts more than the 2013 first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Won't be happening for us! Cork footballers definitely have the resources though. Unfortunately the GAA commited football genocide in Leinster and I now get my fix attending all Ireland hurling semis which were class this year.

• Advertisement

Jesus mate it'll be a while before i watch that game again if i ever do at all really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭riddles

1999 and only with significant help from the referee Mr Murphy in the semi final

Its a hard watch but I have it done now.

It was 1998 when we last won the league you pointless and boring little troll.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭riddles

I think Brian Lohan is Clare manager for five years. Pat Ryan is in his second year as Cork manager. We do need to remember that. We should've given Connor Lehane a runout in extra time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Few players just didn't turn up on the day. Dalton and Connelly were poor and also don't think Horgan did much bar his frees which in fairness he did very well....I

• Registered Users Posts: 18,252 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The GAA needs to have a look at itself in terms of referees. There is massive pressure from the media, pundits and everyone really that referees should just "let the game flow".

Refs get criticised as being "too picky" or of not showing "common sense" when they apply the rules. You then end up with situations like today where absolutely blatant fouls and consistent jersey pulling are let go in the interests of "letting the game flow". We either have rules or we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,252 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

There's also something lacking in the ability of the sideline to react tactically when things aren't going according to plan.

When the gameplan is working Cork are great as we saw against Limerick who were under massive pressure from the long ball. But when things aren't going well I'm not sure Pat Ryan and sideline know how to react. In the first game against Clare, Cork were 7 points up in the second half, Clare changed things up and Cork didn't adjust and ended up losing.

Today we were 7 points up early in the game. Clare stifled the long ball and we really couldn't find an answer to that, kept plugging away but never fully adjusted. The subs today also were slow to happen and largely ineffective when they did happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Cork lost (and deserved to lose) mainly because they've no dog in them. We lost nearly every physical battle throughout the game. First half long puck out stat of 14% is a fair reflection of how dominant Clare were in the trenches. All 3 of the Clare goals were preventable by a strong shoulder or a cynical foul. And apart from Harnedy, I don't think any forward could be happy with his performance or won their personal battle.

What disappoints me most is that I thought after the semi final that we were after turning the corner with the way we went toe to toe with Limerick physically. But it would appear we're back to square 1 after today.

Advertisement