Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options
1363364365366367369»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,765 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

we were able to play closer to the edge as a result.

Im going to be honest, this playing close to the edge is absolute bollix.

It means to cheat but to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That's the modern game. Understanding the referee and preparing for them is as important as preparing a gameplan for the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yep. And still despite that, they did so much right that they came very close to the win.

Very frustrating for us (god knows how frustrated they must be themselves!) but the puck outs didn't go well enough and I felt we missed a lot of breaking balls. Time and again after a high ball was broken down, Clare came away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Field east

re ‘playing the ref’. Limerick were experts at it re the supposed hand pass. Limerick knew that very, very, very few throws were called up so it lived as close to the edge as possible. Kilkenny lived very close to the edge on some aspects of the game. Re jersey pulling, can the ref see a jersey being pulled if the player , whose jersey is being pulled, is DIRECTLY between the puller and the referee. I think not in most cases . Maybe Clare had ‘fine tuned ‘ the practice more than Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Field east

Henry Sheflin was supposed to be the master of the following practice :- when the ball was sent up from the Kilkenny backs and at , circa, half ways on its flight up to the forwards /towards Sheflin’s patch, Sheflin would give a dig with his hurley to his occupant while the refs eyes is following the flight of the ball. And just before the ball is landing in Sheflin’s space his occupant is in the process of responding to Henry’s dig and WHICh THE REF DID NOT SEE BU T HE DID SEE THE. RETALIATION and Kilkenny wins a free - maybe also a yellow or red card involved. I’m sure there were/are lots of other’tricks’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Jackie Tyrell. Back in the day when Kilkenny were beating everyone easily, we used to just watch Jackie Tyrell: not when the ball came in, but off the ball.

And what year was it that Sully and Donal Óg basically climbed on top of Paul Shelly who had the ball in hand? Some of the worst fouling I've ever seen. Two red cards under normal circumstances, but the ref bottled it and they got away with it. Very streetwise/sneaky etc. The winning sides have that in them, but I'm not sure if this Cork team has it in them. The opposite side of that is the likes of Austin Gleeson who has a knack of almost always being right in front of the ref when he does something!

I suspect the two red cards in Munster maybe had Cork spooked and made them a small bit "too honest".

My biggest hope is that they can bottle up the hurt a little bit and deliver from the start next year. They owe us nothing, but it'd be nice if they could get some silverware for themselves.

Advertisement