Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

My mistake, so 4 PTS in the last 4 games. As I said Over hyped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

He had covid for 2 of them and shouldn't have been played. He was very poor on Sunday though, looked nervous. Probably a bit over hyped but he has just turned 23 so we might wait 10 years to judge his career....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Im a bit shocked to see that Johnny Murphy the ref is only 45, he looks alot older.

He really should be in better shape for his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

He won't be forgotten in Cork and your man Conor Leen will never be forgotten by the Cork supporters or players after making that statement about he pull the jersey again. Karma is a bitch and I'm sure it will come back to bite him at some stage in some game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I don't begrudge Leen. I admire his honesty tbh. He's only saying exactly what a load of the rest of us have written a few times: Clare played the ref and they got the result. Cork again for the most part played "beautiful hurling" which all the other counties loved to watch, and got beaten. Again. A wonderful spectacle etc and aren't we great to watch altogether. I've heard it many times over the last few years: "phenomenal game, Cork just came up short"

Everyone enjoyed the 2013 drawn final too. Cork learned little from it. Clare danced through the full back line, and got caught on the final whistle.

And…I'm adamant that it'll happen again unless Cork develop a habit of really killing teams off once they get any lead at all. A small bit more ruthlessness is needed. We'll find out a lot in 2025 I guess.

But blaming Clare and the ref and saying "it's outside our hands, we can do no more" is a non-runner. Because if that's all they've got then they'll win no All Ireland unless the other teams get worse. Simple as that. We must believe they can do more because otherwise we might as well all go home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭blackcard

That was my thought that SOD had thrown the ball for the first goal.He was falling and it didn't seem possile to give a legitimate handpass. However, Cork have been known to throw the odd ball also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

We have every chance once we get out of Munster. I know we beat Limerick twice but themselves and Clare are still the top two for me. Waterford will surely get out of the group at some stage and Tipp are bound to improve as well.

So Munster has the potential to be a minefield next year! That final was a chastening experience for a few of our players, but they'll be all the better for it.

We have some of those all Ireland winners from underage to bring through as well. That was such a heartbreaking defeat but the players left everything out there. The draw was the least we deserved imo.

Maybe Pat Ryan should look at bringing someone else into his backroom team to help out with the tactics. If they're not from Cork who cares as long as they can add something positive to that coaching setup.

In fairness to Pat though and this was true last year as well, his Cork teams play with great spirit and determination. They never give up to be fair. Four all Ireland defeats since 2005 though. We really do need to win our next final when we get there!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

And only the one all Ireland in football! We'll always have 1990 but we've had more bad days than good since then in both senior codes. We'd only have that one all Ireland in 1999, if it wasn't for both the hurlers and footballers going on strike.

I've been through this before, but preparation of intercounty teams got more professional in the 90's and 00's, but Frank Murphy and his likes thought that Corkness or this we are Cork/ the mushroom theory philosophy would always deliver us all Irelands.

I agree with you about the defeats we quite simply have to win our next final. Brian Hayes should've been brought out to the half forward line. We might have had more luck winning the long puckouts then.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

This is my first post since the match and after catching up on the thread.

Firstly what an insult for anyone to suggest our lads are bottlers. I only hope those comments were made with emotions running high after the match and anyone who suggested it has reflected on their posts. Fair play to the team and management for their huge commitment and some great days they've given us this year.

After the first 2 rounds of Munster this year, our record in the last 7 championship matches was Played 7: 1Win, 1Draw, 5Defeats. At that stage for us to win the All Ireland it meant winning 6 matches in a row, not a likely outcome when you consider the record in their previous matches that I just mentioned, especially when the 5 in a row chasing Limerick were next up. But the lads regrouped and won the first 5 and came within a whisker of winning the 6th. Unfortunately it wasn't to be but it took a monumental effort to turn their season around, even if we did still end up with no silverware.

On the match itself, I think we used up all our luck in the previous matches. It's a pity but Clare were deserving winners in fairness and had enough chances to have won by 3-4 points. Fair play to them they have some outstanding players that when they turn it on are almost unmarkable. Maybe some of our lads didn't reach the peak they had in previous matches, but you just had to look at the faces of the players as they were being subbed off to see the toll the match took on their bodies, very proud to be from Cork and that they're representing us.

Can't wait now for club championship.

• Advertisement

He's a young player who has the potential to be a great player for us. He's shown flashes of potential so i wouldn't agree with you there at all!

That and we also concede way too many goals. Until that changes we'll continue to fall short on the big stage imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The Cork team of 20 years ago simply wouldn't have allowed Kelly and Rodgers waltz through for the goals they got on Sunday. They would've been stopped before they got near the goal. Give away a free and a point and move on.

I honestly think and I know it's no guarantee but if Cork managed to get a replay the last day we would have learned alot and would be a total different team next time out. I think we would win the replay as we didn't get going at all and a good few of our lads definitely wouldn't be as quiet the next time out. We are unlucky but we could have won it too. Clare have got a run on us now and we need to start beating them asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Without doubt.

Another thing, all this talk of how much faster and more physical the game is now, its nonsense, I watched some of the 99 final the other day, it was hell for leather and very physical.

The main difference is the sliotar. Its far too light now and the rim is almost non existant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Another thing, all this talk of how much faster and more physical the game is now, its nonsense,

The difference now is the average player is about 4 inches taller & about 20kg heavier then back then.

Please god this is like 2003 and we drive on from it and not a flash in the pan like 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I was very confident that Cork would win on Sunday however not to be but I now am certain we win an All Ireland before 2030.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

Barring an alien invasion or an asteroid hitting planet earth yes

Although I also said we would win won before 2020 after 2013…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

I think it is quite sad when you have to get so personal about a referee who is just 'doing his best'. There were 31 people on that field of play, all liable to make mistakes. But the referee is the only one who has to suffer such abuse !. It's o.k. to question his decision making, after all' that is how the system can be improved. But to question his bias, and now his physical condition, that is, in my humble opinion, a step too far.

We can only hope but we have to get back there again asap and win it next time.

A bit too much doom and gloom talk which is food and drink for some of the trolls from the other counties.

The facts are that despite so many things going against us we almost won that game. As long as we get out of Munster we have every chance.

I have great respect for Clare but let's say if we played them again, i'd be confident enough that the result would be reversed.

Post edited by Straight Talker on

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭banger01

Read this on blood and bandages forum in regards the refereeing of all Ireland finals.

'My main issue isn't that Murphy was baised one way or the other, it's that he completely changed his style of refereeing because it's a final. He became a completely different referee because there's a culture or an expectation that come final day refs should not blow their whistles for things they ordinarily would have any other day.
    It's the only sport I know of where the rule book changes because it's a final. It changes to
    favor the dirtier team.
    Why???'

To me the answer is simple: if he abandons the rule book (lets the game flow) the only ones that will criticize him after is the losing team - and that's going to be put down to sour grapes anyway ……….

If he applies the rules the only ones that will applaud him will be the winning team … everyone else will say he ruined the game with his damn whistle - all the talk from the pundits in the lead up to the final were saying they hoped he would leave the whistle at home so it would be a great spectacle.

It leads me to think gaa is no better than that fake wrestling sh1t …………. no rules mean it's not sport it's just entertainment for the masses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Field east

there was no ‘thrown ball’ at time during the whole 92 minutes. Because if there was it would have been picked up by the ref and mentioned by the match commentators / shown in slow motion by the camera man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Field east

Ditto about the Cork goal. Will not happen when playing Clare again. I suppose after that goal Clare quickly learned and Cork got NO MORE goals

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bot1

I totally agree.

I had a bad feeling going into the game that it would be very hard to get back to the heights of the semi-final. Many of our players didn't have their best game. We can play better.

Clare stumbled into the final, which is a much better way to arrive there physcologically.

They also had a plan to deal with us and they 'played the ref' better than we did!

If we managed to steal a draw, which we should have with that last minute free I would have bet the house that we would have won a replay!!

Can't fault the players for heart, grit and determination but execution and tactical nous left them down. That's sport. They'll learn from this.

If, buts and maybes.

Roll on the club championship!!!

Hopefully Hoggie stays around to give it another go. People say that we need to have him on the bench now, but he's still our most consistent and reliable free taker.

Anyway as for the footballers next year i hope John Cleary makes some changes to his backroom team.

Nothing against Kevin Walsh but we need a coach that can develop a more positive style of play. That was a great win against Donegal in fairness, but no promotion and not even making the last eight renders the year a failure.

I just hope they can go again and get better and improve and come out of Munster. That must be their aim first next year. If that happens they have a good chance of getting to the final again. They must bring in new talented players now too and drive on. They also have to fix the defence. A huge problem since 2010.

• Advertisement

I've been lucky enough to see Cork win a few All-Irelands in my time however my nephews who are 18, 17 and 15 have never seen it and believe we are like Mayo when it comes to winning Liam....that for me is tragic...

Advertisement