Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

I have said already I think Cork will win by 5+ points.

Limerick will have to have everything going their way and take a lead from the start to win. I don't think that will happen as Cork will have too much. I think we have too much quality all over the pitch and this team is very underrated.

The only negative thing is we haven't put teams away fully and leave them in it.Hopefully with an All-Ireland Final to play for we will do it this time.

Its perfect though that we are being underestimated again like all year.

No different than you underestimating Limerick .. Pundits are allowed to have an opinion just like you are

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    No different than you underestimating Limerick .. Pundits are allowed to have an opinion just like you are

Of course, I never said other people cant have an opinion! I'm not underestimating them at all. It will be tough at the start of course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Will Cork win next weekend in the hurling or will Limerick have too much? momentum is with Limerick and they will fancy their chances against Cork. Corks failure to get out of this stage of the championship for the last few years must be on their minds. Pressure on Cork to deliver.
    cork haven't a hope according to many of the expert pundits tomorrow. It's a Galway Limerick Final according to the experts. Cork are only playing to make up the numbers tomorrow so they will have nothing to lose.

Experts or just you?

In Ladies Football today.....

All-Ireland SFC Group 2 Round 3

Cork 1-19 Armagh 1-07

Cork top Group 2 and will meet Westmeath

Video of Eimear Scallys goal for Cork today. A well worked goal!

https://twitter.com/JeromeQuinn/status/1023272720157614083

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Tomorrow is our chance lads. With Galway looking like they're missing their two best players, it's either a poor Clare side or a massively weakened Galway side awaiting tomorrow's winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

All four teams are very even ,if we can get over tomorrow we would be in a great place heading into the final.If the game goes to extra time im worried we dont have the quality on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

All four teams are very even ,if we can get over tomorrow we would be in a great place heading into the final.If the game goes to extra time im worried we dont have the quality on the bench.

Bit like last year maybe. Lots of cork folk were over confident going into the semi......and remember what transpired. Can lightening strike twice at the semi stage and cork get ambushed again.......will be very interesting. How many of last years starting 15 will be playing tomorrow. Biggest question will be did LK ‘shoot their load’ for the season in their beating of kk....?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Bit like last year maybe. Lots of cork folk were over confident going into the semi......and remember what transpired. Can lightening strike twice at the semi stage and cork get ambushed again.......will be very interesting. How many of last years starting 15 will be playing tomorrow. Biggest question will be did LK ‘shoot their load’ for the season in their beating of kk....?

Three players starting tomorrow who didnt start against waterford last year.Kearney,cadogan and o donoghue.I was quite confident heading up last year but learned my lesson.We have our hands full tomorrow no cork fan should be over confident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Tomorrow is our chance lads. With Galway looking like they're missing their two best players, it's either a poor Clare side or a massively weakened Galway side awaiting tomorrow's winners.

It's there any news on the injuries? I'd say Canning's isn't too serious at all might just miss next week.

Also, how did you come to the conclusion Clare are poor? I've been impressed with them this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Three players starting tomorrow who didnt start against waterford last year.Kearney,cadogan and o donoghue.I was quite confident heading up last year but learned my lesson.We have our hands full tomorrow no cork fan should be over confident.

Trouble is I think it goes with being from cork. They just can’t help themselves....’people’s republic’ and all that......a modest cork male or female is fairly difficult to find...!

I think the Cork team went up today. The bus was outside Rochestown Park today

DjMuHAEWwAEKfoV.jpg

The reason I bring this up, I saw the Clare manager say they came up on the train this morning which I found strange. I suppose with fellas working its hard to come up yesterday so maybe they had to but I would hate to be going up the morning of the match. Maybe everyone does that but I wouldn't like it anyway! Clare were very slow starting today so maybe that was a reason!

What happened to Galway today should be a lesson to us. They built up a lead but had a load of wides in the first half and went over 10 mins without scoring.It felt like they eased off the gas a little. At this level no one can do that as both Clare and Limerick are good enough to come roaring back if you let them.If we let them get ahead it will turn in to a dogfight so if we can get on top straight away we need to keep the pressure on them. Once we keep the scoreboard ticking over we will be fine. My worst nightmare is to give them a lead early on and it will spur them on. I still think we can come back but then it gets very hard.

If we get on top early I could see them doubt themselves which is of course what we want but have no doubt they will come to fight. If we perform like we have been doing and they do too then I think we will come out on top. Not underestimating them at all, just the way I see it. If we are below par and they are going well then it will be a ding dong battle.This is what happened today with Galway and Clare. Some really bad wides not only dishearten your team but embolden the opposition.Going spells without scoring just lets the other team back in. We can't afford this tomorrow.

I think Cork will come out on top but either way the game will be very good. Both teams have great players and if Limerick were to win I would love to see them go all the way.I have a feeling though this Cork team has even more in them than they have shown and they have shown a lot already! Can't wait to see this match! Should be a great game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭pakie ed

Light rain in Dublin in the morning should make pitch slippery. Massive occasion for both counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Hard to be tough on the lads after that epic game but Christ we bottled that in normal time. Just don't have the heart to see it out. Very disappointing

• Administrators Posts: 53,823 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think the Cork team went up today. The bus was outside Rochestown Park today

DjMuHAEWwAEKfoV.jpg

The reason I bring this up, I saw the Clare manager say they came up on the train this morning which I found strange. I suppose with fellas working its hard to come up yesterday so maybe they had to but I would hate to be going up the morning of the match. Maybe everyone does that but I wouldn't like it anyway! Clare were very slow starting today so maybe that was a reason!

What happened to Galway today should be a lesson to us. They built up a lead but had a load of wides in the first half and went over 10 mins without scoring.It felt like they eased off the gas a little. At this level no one can do that as both Clare and Limerick are good enough to come roaring back if you let them.If we let them get ahead it will turn in to a dogfight so if we can get on top straight away we need to keep the pressure on them. Once we keep the scoreboard ticking over we will be fine. My worst nightmare is to give them a lead early on and it will spur them on. I still think we can come back but then it gets very hard.

If we get on top early I could see them doubt themselves which is of course what we want but have no doubt they will come to fight. If we perform like we have been doing and they do too then I think we will come out on top. Not underestimating them at all, just the way I see it. If we are below par and they are going well then it will be a ding dong battle.This is what happened today with Galway and Clare. Some really bad wides not only dishearten your team but embolden the opposition.Going spells without scoring just lets the other team back in. We can't afford this tomorrow.

I think Cork will come out on top but either way the game will be very good. Both teams have great players and if Limerick were to win I would love to see them go all the way.I have a feeling though this Cork team has even more in them than they have shown and they have shown a lot already! Can't wait to see this match! Should be a great game!!
    This was almost prophetic.

This Cork team have just let an All Ireland behind them. Should never be choking up 6 points with such little time left. Would have beaten Clare handy in the final too once they beat an injury filled Galway.

Limerick are a great team though, too much is made of their subs...they just work well together and they have great cohesion. Heads seem to fall out the asses of Cork and besides Harnedy nobody seems to be able to carry them.

Another productive year though, the All Ireland is in sight it has to be. Something badly needs to be done about the mental side of it though...heads just go missing when it counts. There's a few players there that will thrive given an extra year to develop into senior hurlers and hopefully replace some of the deader wood in the team.

Tough one to take

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

Hate to name players but How did Hoggy stay on de pitch.

Hate to name players but How did Hoggy stay on de pitch. HEARTLESS

Hoggy always the fall guy when things go wrong, some things never change with the clueless supporters. You'd swear he was poor today, he had a fine game and scored some monstrous frees when they were needed and when the team was all over the shop. No blame lies on Hoggy unless you've your head twisted inside your own ass.

What did he do from play. No workrate. If he had have the balls of Kearney he would be a world beater.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

This Cork team have just let an All Ireland behind them. Should never be choking up 6 points with such little time left. Would have beaten Clare handy in the final too once they beat an injury filled Galway.

Limerick are a great team though, too much is made of their subs...they just work well together and they have great cohesion. Heads seem to fall out the asses of Cork and besides Harnedy nobody seems to be able to carry them.

Another productive year though, the All Ireland is in sight it has to be. Something badly needs to be done about the mental side of it though...heads just go missing when it counts. There's a few players there that will thrive given an extra year to develop into senior hurlers and hopefully replace some of the deader wood in the team.

Tough one to take
    Cork didn't leave the All Ireland after them they simply aren't good enough.

• Advertisement

Cork didn't leave the All Ireland after them they simply aren't good enough.

I've no intention discussing hurling with a WUM
    agree Cork are very average and havent a hope tomorrow. they should not bother turning up. Nice and handy for Limerick tomorrow.
    I do expect Cork to turn up. I think Limerick are a good team but I think Cork will win by a tight margin. toss of a coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Gutted Cork were out fought from the 62 minute onward and yet Harmedy had a great chance at the end of normal time though the pass was poor as was stated previously the Cork bench is poor we cant take players off if they are not performing so the odds are stacked against us I remarked to a friend after Limericks match againstTipp that their bench were allways going to be a huge plus as the championship progressed . Hoggy Lehane Meade and Kingston had poor first halves thats a lot pressure on the rest of the team . And yet we stormed into the lead in the second half only to collapse in the home straight when we needed our bench to consiladate our position . After last years collapse against Waterford its worrying going forward I'm old enough to remember when Cork were the Team to snatch games at the end we have alot of hard work ahead of us to get back to the top table but we just have to get on with it and find those players to fill the void that we find ourselves in now

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

Pretty galling to lose when 6 ahead in the last 10 minutes. A combination of injuries, weak panel and serious credit to limerick contributed to that, but we shouldn’t have let it slip.

In fairness though, this has been as enjoyable a season as 2013 to follow them. They work their socks off and the style of play is great to watch. The amount of work the middle eight get through is astounding. The team deserve a load of credit for the year.

Same two failings as we’ve had for near on a decade has caught us short IMO

1. A foil for Harnedy in the half forward line who can win a puck out when the game slows down and we are struggling like in the last ten minutes of normal time.

2. A centre back who can give the full back line a little bit of cover.

Serious credit to Limerick though. Their panel saw them through. Hope they go on and win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

People having a go off Horgan are having a laugh. Always the scapegoat. The man has been superb all year. He had some wides today which is hugely uncharacteristic, but still had the stones to hit a free to bring it to extra time. He’ll only be properly appreciated by some sections of Cork fans when he’s finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The ref gave Limerick everything in the last ten minutes of normal time. Allowed them back into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Cork were part of a great game today and should have closed it out in normal time. As soon as extra time started I felt that Limerick had the edge mentally and physically. They were warriors in extra tims and Cork couldn't match that. That's no major criticism at all of Cork and Corks bench was light. The likes of Meade, Kingston,Lehane , Horgan are giving away poundage to their markers and if it gets tight then the bigger man has a marked advantage. Fitzgibbon injury was huge and Dowling should have been hauled down outside the square by hook or by crook

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Zoncolon

Tough one to take

Agree with 99% of this bar the bench. Limerick bench scored 2-6 Corks scored 0-1

Agree also that people are forgetting how many young Cork hurlers were out there today - They need to start getting into finals and the league is point A

Hoggy always the fall guy when things go wrong, some things never change with the clueless supporters. You'd swear he was poor today, he had a fine game and scored some monstrous frees when they were needed and when the team was all over the shop. No blame lies on Hoggy unless you've your head twisted inside your own ass.

Hoggy is a marked man, Anytime he had the ball he was double/triple teamed. His radar was off in the first half but when it counted he drew the game for us... Yer man saying haul him off!!!! I wouldn't trust anyone else bar Hoggy to land that free with the last puck of the ball.

agreed he does have his head firmly twisted inside his arse

What did he do from play. No workrate. If he had have the balls of Kearney he would be a world beater.

HE stood up and drew the game for us under immense pressure

• Advertisement

Zoncolon wrote: »
    HE stood up and drew the game for us under immense pressure

Do u understand from PLAY.

Advertisement