Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Zoncolon

Do u understand from PLAY.

Do you understand if you hauled him off he wouldn't have been available to draw the game...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,158 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just not good enough. Simple as that. No leaders really. But we ain't million miles away from holy grail

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

Just not good enough. Simple as that. No leaders really. But we ain't million miles away from holy grail

I’m not sure the “no leaders” is fair. Harnedy, Kearney and Fitzgibbon all got injured. They’ve been driving forces all year. Horgan had a bad day shooting but got stood up to get the equaliser. Lehane got 1-3 in the second half. They’ve been good in the last ten all year (bar today obviously) so I don’t see leadership as an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

Zoncolon wrote: »
    Do you understand if you hauled him off he wouldn't have been available to draw the game...

A player should not be on a team for frees only. And if he is he should be at 100% accuracy

• Registered Users Posts: 34,158 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I’m not sure the “no leaders” is fair. Harnedy, Kearney and Fitzgibbon all got injured. They’ve been driving forces all year. Horgan had a bad day shooting but got stood up to get the equaliser. Lehane got 1-3 in the second half. They’ve been good in the last ten all year (bar today obviously) so I don’t see leadership as an issue.

Disagree.

When the last 10 months mutes we needed a few calm heads we did not have them..

I'm not totally gutted. We ain't million miles off and on another day could have won but we lack those 2 or 3 lads that can stand up when pressure mounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Someguy025

Thats a tough one to take after letting a 6 point lead slip in the closing stages. they played some brilliant hurling throughout the game but just couldnt put it to bed which is really disapointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Someguy025 wrote: »
    Thats a tough one to take after letting a 6 point lead slip in the closing stages. they played some brilliant hurling throughout the game but just couldnt put it to bed which is really disapointing.
    I dont think they let it slip. Limerick just took over and got point after point without reply. I just hope they go all the way now

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

If the game goes to extra time im worried we dont have the quality on the bench.

Fairly prescient comment looking at it now.

You got it bang on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Someguy025

Edgware wrote: »
    I dont think they let it slip. Limerick just took over and got point after point without reply. I just hope they go all the way now

Is that not the same thing? The lead was theirs to lose. It will be interesting either way who they face. I would like to see them up against galway though....hopefully the u21's have aother solid performance in their semi final next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

An epic effort.I thought we had it won, with 10 minutes to go.But we ran out of gas, coming down the final stretch, and our lack of strength in depth in the subs told in the end.Cork hurling is making progress, but we still have a lot of work still to do.We have won Munster titles in 2014 2017 and this year, but we failed to back it up in Croke Park sadly.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Another cracking Semi-Final. Limerick did well, so congrats to them. It was tight for a while but we tailed off around 60mins and looked tired, but with that lead near the end it's hard to not feel that we left it behind us. Another SF defeat is tough to take, but they are a young team and I'm sure they'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭MfMan

This Cork team have just let an All Ireland behind them. Should never be choking up 6 points with such little time left. Would have beaten Clare handy in the final too once they beat an injury filled Galway.

Tough one to take

You didn't see it out, no point complaining. Would they have reached the final, Galway still have enough forwards to make hay against a poor enough Cork defence. Galway lost McInerney, Canning, Whelan, Tuohy, David Burke, at various stages and had a less then 100% Daithi Burke playing and still ground out a result. Cork lost players and folded. Still something soft in that Cork outfit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Gutted. It was there for the taking. Got ourselves into a great position with less than 1p to go despite a wayward enough first half. Could have conceded 2 goals early on but the turning point for me was Harnedy just getting the ball flicked away from him- great goalkeeping to be fair- before he clung it. Had that gone in, game over and we would have had a final to look foward to.
    We didn't have the bench to use with 10-15 to go and it really showed up in extra time.
    The future is very bright and hopefully the u21s can go all the way.
    Really hope Limerick go on to win now, fine squad.

Also, having a go at Hoggie.......... Christ almighty !!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Just back now and feel the same as most have describe, gutted. But good days are surely ahead with this young bunch.
    Hoggies first bad game since 2017 and as usual it's all his fault, such tripe.
    A real hard defeat to take however from the position they were in 6 pts up in the last quarter but a great sign of this Limerick team. I was 2 the last time they won so I hope they go all the way it's too long for a proud county like the treaty to wait. We'll have our day too I have no doubt.
    Rebels abu.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭pakie ed

What a classic congratulations to limerick. Critics of Horgan very unfair. But what a performance from Kearney. Hardney was a true capitan but seemed to pick up a bad injury he doesn't go down easily. Limerick also seemed to upset all our puckout plans. Privileged to see this match in croke park. Awesome effort from both sets of players .

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭raindodger

thanks to all the cork fans for best wishes in the final. think the major turning point of the match was daniel kearney running out of gas it was only after that that limerick took over,it was a shame to see him to be asked to go on again after giving his all

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Disappointing today for Cork played really well for 20mins of the second half. They had their chances today though - Harnedy will have nightmares over that missed goal chance at the end, should have turned onto his right, away from the defenders and the keeper, and buried it. Likes of Canning, Cooney or Conlon would have definitely scored it. Then again he's better in the half forward line. Cork need an out and out full forward who knows where the goal is.

Disappointed with the management today. Some very poor decisions - Harnedy should not have started extra time he was hobbling coming out of the tunnel. Bringing Kearney back on was unforgivable he could barely walk when he was taken off during normal time. No point having subs sitting on the bench if not prepared to use them. Why not bring Jack O'Connor on sooner, he's on fire for the u21s and lightning quick, perfect for when the game opens up.
    Why take Cadogan off and leave Cooper on? Should have put Ellis wing back and Coleman to midfield instead.
    Would have brought Conor O'Sullivan on too, he's far too experienced a player to not to have been brought on at all today. Played very well against Waterford when he came on. Would like to have seen Deccie Dalton on the bench, playing well for u21s - a big strong young fella, could have come on for Harnedy at full forward.

All in all a good year for Cork considering the lack of strength in depth. They'll have to find 3-4 quality players if they are going to win an All Ireland over the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

how Cork didn't close out this game is beyond me. two dubious frees cut the margin to 4 but we had no answer to them last 10 mins of the game. We had 2 chances of scores before the final whistle of normal time and we should have at least taken one of them and that may have sealed it. we hadn't a hope in extra time and I knew we were finished then at that stage.

2018 season does take the shine off that Munster title. This is our 7th all Ireland semi final defeat in 8 attempts from 2008-2018. They are creating a statistic that needs to be cleared. As Kilkenny Tipp and Waterford be back in action again next year, Cork are so far away now from reaching the holy grail. We need a few more decent players to be introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Hate to name players but How did Hoggy stay on de pitch. HEARTLESS

Harsh comment in the extreme.:mad:
    For me, as a Limerickman, Hoggy is up there with Gary Kirby and Ciaran Carey as the best players ever not to win an A.I. medal.
    At least Hoggie has a few seasons left to achieve this and hopefully he will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

I'd also have liked to see Conor O'Sullivan come on. He's very composed on the ball, we could have done with someone like him in our backs for the last 10 minutes.

It's a shame to see the fickle nature of Cork's supporters rare it's ugly head again. Blaming the likes of Hoggie, Kingston, Lehane etc. is ridiculous, they gave us a great season and left it all out on the field. It wasn't to be this year but we're not far off the holy grail and back-to-back Munster championships is no mean feat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

People taking pops at Horgan need to have a good long hard look at themselves. He's Cork through and through. Compare some of the ball that went his way to that which Limerick were able to put in. He battled away against Finn who put in a brilliant performance. Unlucky hitting the post aswell and you can hardly say he's a dodgy freetaker for missing one from 100 yards and not forgetting the ice in the veins to draw it up.

Corks conditioning maybe just maybe was lacking but their will and heart was there. First championship defeat all year and only after extra time. Hard luck today - with players like Lehane, Fitzgibbon, Nash, Horgan and Harnedy (a teak tough ball winning scoring forward) and the way Kearney played today, Cork will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Absolutely gutted this morning.But I am proud of our players,they gave it absolutely everything ,our lack of subs was the difference.It will take a while to get over this loss however we have had a good season.If you told me leaving Thurles that saturday evening against wexford two years ago that we would win two munsters in a row,I would snap your hand off.We are heading in the right direction no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Thought the two steps calls in the last 10 minutes a bit bizarre. There was no replay on the Sunday Game, were they really that blatant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Absolutely delighted for Daniel Kearney to see how he has done this year, could be an outside shot at an All Star and thoroughly deserved if so. From being the mainstay at midfield to dropping to the bench to having rumours he quit the panel and would never come back, to working on his game on the quiet, taking his chance when it was given and then establishing himself as a half forward/third midfielder and arguably playing his best hurling now. Before you wouldn't want to see him being the one have to take a shot from way out but he's put over some fantastic scores this year as well as giving everything and putting in the donkey work.

Lot of positives to come out from this year. Spillane has built on last year and gotten better. O Donoghue is a great find and is only 22. Coleman is developing well. Darragh Fitz was on fire again. Meade is growing into his role in the team. And sure what more can be said about Hoggie, Harnedy and Kingston, especially the former two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Thought the two steps calls in the last 10 minutes a bit bizarre. There was no replay on the Sunday Game, were they really that blatant?

I will watch the replay later on as it was too late by the time I got in the door, but I wouldn't complain about the Cooper one but the one on Cadogan he must have been fouled by Gillane before hand

Big swing between a free out and a tap over free

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

Absolutely delighted for Daniel Kearney to see how he has done this year, could be an outside shot at an All Star and thoroughly deserved if so. From being the mainstay at midfield to dropping to the bench to having rumours he quit the panel and would never come back, to working on his game on the quiet, taking his chance when it was given and then establishing himself as a half forward/third midfielder and arguably playing his best hurling now. Before you wouldn't want to see him being the one have to take a shot from way out but he's put over some fantastic scores this year as well as giving everything and putting in the donkey work.

Lot of positives to come out from this year. Spillane has built on last year and gotten better. O Donoghue is a great find and is only 22. Coleman is developing well. Darragh Fitz was on fire again. Meade is growing into his role in the team. And sure what more can be said about Hoggie, Harnedy and Kingston, especially the former two.

Great post. We just need 3 or 4 lads to round out the panel a bit. Hopefully some of the U21s like Dalton, Billy Hennessey and Robert Downey are able to make a step and some of the lads currently on the panel like Tim O’Mahony can kick on in the winter. Daire Connery probably a couple years away too but looks a serious prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭boccy23

Great post. We just need 3 or 4 lads to round out the panel a bit. Hopefully some of the U21s like Dalton, Billy Hennessey and Robert Downey are able to make a step and some of the lads currently on the panel like Tim O’Mahony can kick on in the winter. Daire Connery probably a couple years away too but looks a serious prospect.

Timmy needs to do something about his long loopy swing. Too easy at Intercounty level to be blocked down as he was yesterday. Needs to tighten it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭boccy23

I think very little is being made of the foul on Daniel Kearney for Limerick's first goal by Cian Lynch. I feel this was a real turning point in the game.
    At that stage we were 2 points up. Limerick had only 2 functioning forwards (Herrity and Mulcahy) and were struggling to stay in the game. We were heading in to half time 2 points up and would be playing into the scoring goal for the second half.
    Then the foul wasn't given. He followed up by picking the ball of the ground or trying to as he knew he had fouled Kearney and expected the free to be given.
    And it was Lynch who couldn't be tracked by Kearney, having pushed him, was left free for the goal.
    Total miss by the referee on two occasions and a real full-up for them and a blow for us.

washman3 wrote: »
    Hate to name players but How did Hoggy stay on de pitch. HEARTLESS

Harsh comment in the extreme.:mad:
    For me, as a Limerickman, Hoggy is up there with Gary Kirby and Ciaran Carey as the best players ever not to win an A.I. medal.
    At least Hoggie has a few seasons left to achieve this and hopefully he will.
    Its not Harsh, its the dumbest comment since full time

• Advertisement

boccy23 wrote: »
    I think very little is being made of the foul on Daniel Kearney for Limerick's first goal by Cian Lynch. I feel this was a real turning point in the game.
    At that stage we were 2 points up. Limerick had only 2 functioning forwards (Herrity and Mulcahy) and were struggling to stay in the game. We were heading in to half time 2 points up and would be playing into the scoring goal for the second half.
    Then the foul wasn't given. He followed up by picking the ball of the ground or trying to as he knew he had fouled Kearney and expected the free to be given.
    And it was Lynch who couldn't be tracked by Kearney, having pushed him, was left free for the goal.
    Total miss by the referee on two occasions and a real full-up for them and a blow for us.
    Agree totally. Was completely enraged by it. What was the lines doing, or not doing... This was a real turning point.
    Is it me or do refs ref the Semi- Finals and Finals differently, "leaving it flow" is all well and good but that was such a blatant push... I mean we have no complaints about Ellis' push for their Peno so we should feel a little P*ssed about the Ref seeing the Kearny push differently...
    Again different rules depending where on the pitch you are

Advertisement