Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Lot of positives to come out from this year.

Hard to see them on a Monday morning after losing the semi final in the fashion that we did but hope we get there in years to come. It's seems so far away right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,158 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If the U21s can win AI I think that will be step in right direction.

We need the young lads to start getting that winning feeling.

It be good year if they claim it.

We are a Centre and Full Back away from a AI. We ain't that far away at all but that and a better bench we take beating for next 5 or 6 yesrs

The lack of a bench cost us yesterday. if we could have brought on 2 scoring forwards to tap over a few points we would have Limerick beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It was noticeable at the start of ET how much more tired the Cork team was compared to Limerick. Little things not falling their way and Limerick hooked the ball 2-3 times in quick enough succession- sure sign that one team is that bit sharper.

Not sure how much was to do with fitness levels from Cork or the long break since the last game.

Now credit to Limerick for upping and maintaining the intensity for the entire 90mins.

But Jesus someone needs to drill home to Cork that just because you score you do not have to let the opposition down the pitch score straight away-very generous.

Kevin Keegan School of hurling- 'We will just outscore the other side.'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That comes from the majority of our players not being to win the ball from either puck out

It's an issue for years and something we haven't really addressed

There is room in the team for somebody who may not be the best hurler who won't score 4-5 pt a game but will win primary possession or stop the opposition winning the ball

Hannon won't have such an armchair ride in the final

• Advertisement

Diarmuid O’Sullivan says disgruntled Cork hurling fans were 'an absolute disgrace'

Cork legend Diarmuid ‘The Rock’ O’Sullivan has hit out at the county's 'fickle' fans after yesterday's All-Ireland semi-final defeat by Limerick.

The GAA star said he confronted some fans directly after the match.

"Unfortunately, that's the way Cork supporters are and I've said it before, they're very fickle," he told Paddy Power News.

"But this 'bottler' thing disgusts me. If you are loyal to your team, you are loyal to your team - but again I'm not surprised.

I was walking out of the stadium after, there was two Cork lads there and they were having a right go. I actually had murder with them and I looked the two of them in the eye and told them they were an absolute disgrace. There's no place for it, but that's the world we live in. You can't get away from it.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/diarmuid-osullivan-says-disgruntled-cork-hurling-fans-were-an-absolute-disgrace-858767.html

Pity about some fans alright but it's easy to see why some fans would label what happened as 'bottling' it

That is harsh on the team but I really hope they learn the lesson and find ways of closing the game out should we ever get near that situation again

The Rock does make a good point about making subs breaking momentum, lack of impact from the bench and that Cork need primary ball winners. You can't keep flogging the same horses like [Seamus] Harnedy and [Conor] Lehane. Cork have to find someone to alleviate the pressure on Seamus.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I was walking out of the stadium after, there was two Cork lads there and they were having a right go. I actually had murder with them and I looked the two of them in the eye and told them they were an absolute disgrace. There's no place for it, but that's the world we live in. You can't get away from it.

Jaysus I imagine those boys are curled up in a dark room after that encounter...

You would back down fairly quickly from that encounter alright

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

....."Unfortunately, that's the way Cork supporters are and I've said it before, they're very fickle," he told Paddy Power News.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

What else could you call it only bottling?

Cork have now lost 6 of their last 7 semi finals and the only team they have defeated in Croke Park in the last decade is Dublin.

The fact is that other counties see Cork as a soft touch come Semi Final stage. Maybe that's a mental thing, maybe too much energy/effort is being spent in Munster, maybe other sides are conditioned to peak later the year.

• Advertisement

Mokuba wrote: »

Cork have now lost 6 of their last 7 semi finals and the only team they have defeated in Croke Park in the last decade is Dublin.

The fact is that other counties see Cork as a soft touch come Semi Final stage. Maybe that's a mental thing, maybe too much energy/effort is being spent in Munster, maybe other sides are conditioned to peak later the year.

It's a strange one because up to 10-12 years ago it was the opposite. You would always expect Cork hurlers to pull through the tight games and to pull it out of the fire with absolute confidence in their own ability.

Admittedly that was my first time seeing them this year but they looked absolutely knackered at the end and in extra time. They had nothing left whereas Limerick smelt blood and kicked on.

Our players are now used to losing close games or else games where we were comfortably up

You look at this year we were leading against Tipp and Limerick twice going into stoppage time and we only got 3 draws out of the games

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Diarmuid O’Sullivan says disgruntled Cork hurling fans were 'an absolute disgrace'

Cork legend Diarmuid ‘The Rock’ O’Sullivan has hit out at the county's 'fickle' fans after yesterday's All-Ireland semi-final defeat by Limerick.

The GAA star said he confronted some fans directly after the match.

"Unfortunately, that's the way Cork supporters are and I've said it before, they're very fickle," he told Paddy Power News.

"But this 'bottler' thing disgusts me. If you are loyal to your team, you are loyal to your team - but again I'm not surprised.

Pity about some fans alright but it's easy to see why some fans would label what happened as 'bottling' it

That is harsh on the team but I really hope they learn the lesson and find ways of closing the game out should we ever get near that situation again

The Rock does make a good point about making subs breaking momentum, lack of impact from the bench and that Cork need primary ball winners. You can't keep flogging the same horses like [Seamus] Harnedy and [Conor] Lehane. Cork have to find someone to alleviate the pressure on Seamus.

Sully is a hypocrite and probably has an axe to grind with current set-up.
    After having a go at supporters who were critical of the team, he has a go himself on Paddy Power's web-site which employs him.

Cork are bottlers at semi final stage. the record speaks for itself. 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 all semi final losses. we cant win them all but we cant lose them all either. Not good enough for Cork for a county with a big hurling tradition. A big thing should be to find a few good forwards and a full back and we might get closer to going past semi final stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

What Cork need is a few physical ball winning forwards.Deccie Dalton fits the bill he is a tough cookie and good striker of a ball.I think a big effort should be made to get pa o Callaghan on board he is the type of player who could push cork over the line.

Amprodude wrote: »
    Cork are bottlers at semi final stage. the record speaks for itself. 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 all semi final losses. we cant win them all but we cant lose them all either. Not good enough for Cork for a county with a big hurling tradition. A big thing should be to find a few good forwards and a full back and we might get closer to going past semi final stage.

2015? I think Galway bet us in Qualifiers (open for correction)

Have we any decent Full backs coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Sully is a hypocrite and probably has an axe to grind with current set-up.
    After having a go at supporters who were critical of the team, he has a go himself on Paddy Power's web-site which employs him.

I thought the exact same thing myself. He might say his beef was with management and the lads he heard may have been slating players but yeah it seemed a bit soon to be laying into management. The quality on the benches were the difference more than the timing of the subs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

What Cork need is a few physical ball winning forwards.Deccie Dalton fits the bill he is a tough cookie and good striker of a ball.I think a big effort should be made to get pa o Callaghan on board he is the type of player who could push cork over the line.

Pa O Callaghan is a frustrating one. Consistently one of the best club hurlers in the county with a few years now and shone as a minor and at 21 for Cork but just doesn't seem to want to play intercounty senior. Now of course he has his reasons and he's entitled to do what he likes but it is a crying shame a man of his ability is not willing to play for the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Have we any decent Full backs coming up?

Sean o leary hayes might be an option in the future or maybe David Griffin

• Advertisement

Pa O Callaghan is a frustrating one. Consistently one of the best club hurlers in the county with a few years now and shone as a minor and at 21 for Cork but just doesn't seem to want to play intercounty senior. Now of course he has his reasons and he's entitled to do what he likes but it is a crying shame a man of his ability is not willing to play for the county.

Is it personal reasons or more gripe with management/board?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

Pa O’Callaghan comes up with Cork fans every year when we’re knocked out and then again at the start of every season for the last 3 or 4 years now. It’s surely time to realise he just has no interest, for whatever reason. I don’t think we should go above and beyond to chase someone who clearly doesn’t want to play, even if he would fit in well to that half forward line. And that’s not taking a shot at him. If he doesn’t want to play then more power to him for sticking with Ballyhea.

2015? I think Galway bet us in Qualifiers (open for correction)

You are correct in that. Apologies.

You are correct in that. Apologies.

Your point was still very valid and true.

But just wanted make it look little less painful:pac:

Your point was still very valid and true.

But just wanted make it look little less painful:pac:

I should have known as I was at that game that day. Galway were flying that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

I should have known as I was at that game that day. Galway were flying that day.

If you told me that day that in three years time we'd have won two Munster finals in a row and nearly made it to an all Ireland final I'd have laughed in your face. We've come a long way since 2015/16.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭thesultan

how Cork didn't close out this game is beyond me. two dubious frees cut the margin to 4 but we had no answer to them last 10 mins of the game. We had 2 chances of scores before the final whistle of normal time and we should have at least taken one of them and that may have sealed it. we hadn't a hope in extra time and I knew we were finished then at that stage.

2018 season does take the shine off that Munster title. This is our 7th all Ireland semi final defeat in 8 attempts from 2008-2018. They are creating a statistic that needs to be cleared. As Kilkenny Tipp and Waterford be back in action again next year, Cork are so far away now from reaching the holy grail. We need a few more decent players to be introduced.
    Have Cork turned into the Waterford team of the 2000's? Very good in Munster but rarely win semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Mokuba wrote: »

Cork weren't favorites in any of those 6 games. We've just come up against better teams. Getting to those semi finals were their levels on any of those given years.
    thesultan wrote: »
    Have Cork turned into the Waterford team of the 2000's? Very good in Munster but rarely win semis.
    You don't just turn into another team, you have to look at all those games on their own merit. Those Kilkenny/Galway/Tipp teams we came up against in those semifinals were all better teams than us

Yes losing a 6 point lead on Sunday was infuriating, but again, we came up against a better squad. Lets not get sucked into thinking this is something that is bigger than it is.

To be fair they kilkenny team we came up against in 2008 and 10 were exceptional.

Galway were better then us in 2012.

Tipp in 14 was disappointing as we were munster champions. Thought we played better Hurling v Waterford till sending off.

Sunday was poor though but like I say lack of those couple of leaders especially at back is costly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Watching the documentary last night and seeing the Seán Óg section. You'd forget that he was the last winning captain for Cork. Seems so long ago now.

Advertisement