Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas cooking

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,202 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

beertons wrote: »
    Another Christmas feed had. Raging the stuffing balls were gone, but sure what can ya do. All I have left is a bit of ham. Thinking of putting them on nachos tomorrow with sour cream and melting cheese on top. Would kidney beans go with it or am I mad? Want to add some goodness to the dish.

If all you have left is ham, I'd be thinking of a big kickass Carbonara dish. Okay its usually Pancetta or bacon, but feck it, Ham is the same animal and works really well. Splash some Parmesan over it and serve with Garlic Bread. You are most likely to have all the ingredients in the house. Job gone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just had Christmas dinner number 2. Jeez, you think I’d learn. I’m soooo stuffed!

Glad I got to use up everything, well pretty much everything, I’ve a few things to get through.

Just on the gravy thing. I think I’m gonna give up making gravy with a roast. I don’t know why but for the effort that’s involved I’m never blown away with homemade gravy. Probably because I’ve grown up with it but I think I prefer gravy granules. I know, the shame!
    I siphon off the turkey drippings (and butter) and mix them with hot water and gravy granules and heat it for a bit. This year an onion roasted under the turkey went in too. Bit nicer than granule gravy alone, and not the full effort of actually making gravy from scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

beertons wrote: »
    Refried beans do nothing for me. I'll take a wander round Tesco, or my halal shop, and see what comes to mind.

Something to accompany ham - from a halal shop? :o

I know there's the joke in there somewhere, but I can't find it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just had Christmas dinner number 2. Jeez, you think I’d learn. I’m soooo stuffed!

Glad I got to use up everything, well pretty much everything, I’ve a few things to get through.

Just on the gravy thing. I think I’m gonna give up making gravy with a roast. I don’t know why but for the effort that’s involved I’m never blown away with homemade gravy. Probably because I’ve grown up with it but I think I prefer gravy granules. I know, the shame!

Me too! I've made gravy myself in the past and don't feel it's worth the faff. And Mr Dizzy actually gags at the thought of incorporating meat juices into gravy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Last year there was a bit of drama on Christmas Eve because when I went looking in the turkey for the giblets to make gravy stock, there was nothing at all, despite the packaging claiming otherwise. I was very lucky that my lovely local butcher had a good big pile to spare and gave me some.

This year our Christmas dinner was being hosted by relatives, so we just got a little turkey for ourselves to eat on Stephen's Day.
    Imagine my delight when I started rummaging around and found 2 full-sized necks AND a good bag of other bits!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Shenshen wrote: »
    Something to accompany ham - from a halal shop? :o

I know there's the joke in there somewhere, but I can't find it!

Should have said its not strictly halal. He does Korean, Filipino, and other funky cuisines too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

I saved the livers from the giblets bag, I had two turkeys, just make pate from them, yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm using my frozen scrap bag to make some stock, noodle soup it is tonight. Together with roastbeef sandwiches and maybe some roasties. Leftover days can be alright I guess (and a must when you're post-Xmas broke).

Any idea on what to do with leftover beef gravy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

Freeze it, always handy to have good gravy in the freezer. If you really want to use it up it would be nice thrown into cottage pie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Me too! I've made gravy myself in the past and don't feel it's worth the faff. And Mr Dizzy actually gags at the thought of incorporating meat juices into gravy :pac:
    Mr. Dizzy might need replacing, he seems to be a defective model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Please, please tell me you just drink the meat juices yourself!!
    I don't think I can cope with the idea of roast meat juices been thrown down the drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,202 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

After a fantastic and different Asian style buffet on Christmas Day, it was a lovely roast beef dinner on St. Stephens Day. Tomorrow, New Years Eve, I've a tribe over for Dinner. On arrival I've some nibbles planned. Spring rolls and chicken skewers with a sweet chilli dip. The Turkey Crown is defrosting at the mo. Serving it with roast spuds, carrots, sprouts, cauliflower, stuffing and gravy. I believe dessert is cheesecake. Have some nice cheddar and smoked cheeses with brandy to finish up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Please, please tell me you just drink the meat juices yourself!!
    I don't think I can cope with the idea of roast meat juices been thrown down the drain.

Completely agree. Real gravy asi call it with the juices is to die for. Nothing else comes close at all

Advertisement