Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas cooking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,203 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I have cooked a traditional Christmas dinner for more years than I care to remember at this stage. Had a few breaks via eating out, on a guest list and a finger food buffet. I have been toying with the idea of changing things this year and taking the pressure to "perform" right off me. Today it was decided. We're having a Chinese Takeaway themed day. Ribs, Spring Rolls, Chicken Curry, Rice, Prawn Crackers and most likely Chinese Beer. It will be far better than a takeaway though. Always is.

What made my mind up was last Sunday. I cooked a Turkey crown with some Pork steak and all the usual trimmings. I do roast meat dinners so often that I'd rather split from it over Christmas so I can chill out with comfort food and goodies. I'm actually looking forward to it for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I have cooked a traditional Christmas dinner for more years than I care to remember at this stage. Had a few breaks via eating out, on a guest list and a finger food buffet. I have been toying with the idea of changing things this year and taking the pressure to "perform" right off me. Today it was decided. We're having a Chinese Takeaway themed day. Ribs, Spring Rolls, Chicken Curry, Rice, Prawn Crackers and most likely Chinese Beer. It will be far better than a takeaway though. Always is.

What made my mind up was last Sunday. I cooked a Turkey crown with some Pork steak and all the usual trimmings. I do roast meat dinners so often that I'd rather split from it over Christmas so I can chill out with comfort food and goodies. I'm actually looking forward to it for a change.

Jesus didn't die for this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Slattsy wrote: »

Bet he would have if he knew. It sounds awesome

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This might be useful for people or not at all.

kehpis.jpg

Maldesu wrote: »
    Bet he would have if he knew. It sounds awesome

Awesome is the plan alright. I just want an informal, chilled out day with beer and comfort food. Some TV too! I've done so many Christmas type dinners with fine wines and craft beers to suit, that the time has come to get more laid back about things. Times have changed radically. I no longer see the point of repeating a dinner I can have any weekend or day. We may not even eat the feast at the table.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Awesome is the plan alright. I just want an informal, chilled out day with beer and comfort food. Some TV too! I've done so many Christmas type dinners with fine wines and craft beers to suit, that the time has come to get more laid back about things. Times have changed radically. I no longer see the point of repeating a dinner I can have any weekend or day. We may not even eat the feast at the table.:eek:

If you want amazing ribs that they'll be talking about for years, try this....
    ^ Speaking of ribs......

Bought five racks of ribs yesterday and marinated them overnight in Sparks' pulled pork dry rub (with added brown sugar) (see Cooking Club).

Followed this cooking method http://allrecipes.com/video/450/how-to-make-baked-bbq-baby-back-ribs/?internalSource=amp&referringContentType=amp%20recipe&clickId=amp_watch_button

The BBQ sauce was just your bog-standard sauce you find on the interweb - ketchup, Worcester sauce, white wine vinegar and soft brown sugar all heated together. Make lots, you may need it, if you don't, it will keep.

Slow cooked in foil/roasting bag for two hours at 120c.

Then brushed in the BBQ sauce and returned to the hot oven for ten mins. Out and then brushed again.

Turns out our guests were an hour late. So I had to brush the ribs again and again with sauce 6 times.

The most amazing ribs ever! As agreed by ten people round the table!

Good luck to you! :)

If you want amazing ribs that they'll be talking about for years, try this....

Good luck to you! :)

I remember that recipe from you before. I did it and it was ab fab! It was the plan and you will get the credit. Ribs are booked.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

We always go ethnic on Christmas Eve to offset the couple of days of roast dinners.

We did Dada on South William Street for years but a growing contingent of kids in the family made town on Christmas Eve a bit challenging so the past couple of years we've done teppen yaki in Rathmines. The kids love it, the food is actually quite good and there's always an epic sing-song with the staff after the meal. Great craic altogether and nobody in the family has to cook or clean up.

I remember that recipe from you before. I did it and it was ab fab! It was the plan and you will get the credit. Ribs are booked.:D

It's why we love this place, share the passion! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Lost baster has been replaced!

Any brine experts here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

going to test this Ramsey Pork, Sage and Apple Stuffing over the weekend , I'd like to make some side dishes/starters for xmas dinner but my wife gets quite possessive of the kitchen :pac: so my objective is to find recipes that can be mostly prepared the the day before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj5uCaTAUq4

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Lost baster has been replaced!

Any brine experts here?

Salt water or other? I'll be soaking mine in buttermilk a la Neven Maguire's recipe for the third year running, it's really good.

Buttermilk all the way here too!!

We’re going for a dry-run on the 17th for friends and family who won’t be around for the big day.

Double excitement here!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Buttermilk sounds good - will look into it. :)

Have a couple of 'how not to screw up Thanksgiving cooking', podcasts lined up. Might help with inspiration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

silverharp wrote: »
    going to test this Ramsey Pork, Sage and Apple Stuffing over the weekend , I'd like to make some side dishes/starters for xmas dinner but my wife gets quite possessive of the kitchen :pac: so my objective is to find recipes that can be mostly prepared the the day before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj5uCaTAUq4

update on this, its a nice recipe but its more like meatloaf than stuffing and as its sealed up being cooked it doesn't get a browning...the search continues

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Slattsy wrote: »

LOL

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What's the buttermilk thing? I had planned on boiling a boned and rolled in veg stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

beertons wrote: »
    What's the buttermilk thing? I had planned on boiling a boned and rolled in veg stock.

:eek::eek::eek: Novice cooks take that kind of statement literally. The number of people I've had to take by the neck and tell it means 'gently simmer' is not ordinary. :)

beertons wrote: »

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/744077/

I don’t know the exact science but I would assume it’s the acid in the buttermilk tenderises, while the salt in the brine adds water to the meat.
    It really does make the roasted meat tender and juicy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don’t know the exact science but I would assume it’s the acid in the buttermilk tenderises,
    Yes, it is very common to see recipies for southern fried chicken calling for a overnight buttermilk soak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/744077/

I don’t know the exact science but I would assume it’s the acid in the buttermilk tenderises, while the salt in the brine adds water to the meat.
    It really does make the roasted meat tender and juicy.

Am I missing something in that link? The first line just says “Mix all the ingredients together”

What ingredients?!?!

Edit- you have to click into the link at the bottom of the page for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

Make sure you like the tang of buttermilk before you try it on the Christmas dinner, I did it on chicken goujons, couldn't eat them, I could taste the sourness of the buttermilk and it turned me right off, they were tender but at a price!

Now I don't like yogurt or creme fraiche or anything similar so you'll probably be fine if you do, I don't mind buttermilk in baked bread but you don't actually get the taste of it in that.

phormium wrote: »
    Make sure you like the tang of buttermilk before you try it on the Christmas dinner, I did it on chicken goujons, couldn't eat them, I could taste the sourness of the buttermilk and it turned me right off, they were tender but at a price!

Now I don't like yogurt or creme fraiche or anything similar so you'll probably be fine if you do, I don't mind buttermilk in baked bread but you don't actually get the taste of it in that.

Using the recipe, the buttermilk has orange slices added. That’s the main flavour you get from the turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Joining in again this year! It should be my year off but circumstances dictates I'm hosting. Yippee
    I've the Christmas puddings done but that's all. I have to start menu planning (14 for dinner) first and take it from there. I want to shake up the starters a bit, soup and melon are always on for the plain eaters, I previously sobe poached pear or a salmon mousse. Grateful for some new suggestions

now online wrote: »
    Joining in again this year! It should be my year off but circumstances dictates I'm hosting. Yippee
    I've the Christmas puddings done but that's all. I have to start menu planning (14 for dinner) first and take it from there. I want to shake up the starters a bit, soup and melon are always on for the plain eaters, I previously sobe poached pear or a salmon mousse. Grateful for some new suggestions

You could try doing gravadlax, mustard sauce and pumpernickel bread. Really easy to make in advance and will impress everybody.

Here's the recipe I used last year...

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2793665/gravadlax-

The bread can also be made a couple of days beforehand....

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/7020/pumpernickel-bread-ii/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

You could try doing gravadlax, mustard sauce and pumpernickel bread. Really easy to make in advance and will impress everybody.

Here's the recipe I used last year...

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2793665/gravadlax-

The bread can also be made a couple of days beforehand....

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/7020/pumpernickel-bread-ii/

Like the gravidlax not sure about the bread. I might chance it before the big day first! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

We fancy a dry-run of Nigella's Allspice gravy but I can't find allspice berries anywhere locally. Any suggestions?

Dubl07 wrote: »
    We fancy a dry-run of Nigella's Allspice gravy but I can't find allspice berries anywhere locally. Any suggestions?

Where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Dubl07 wrote:
    but I can't find allspice berries anywhere locally. Any suggestions?

They have them in the baking section of Lidl.

• Advertisement

They’re also called Pimenta

Advertisement