Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas cooking

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

pigtail33 wrote: »
    I find this blog quite good for Instant Pot recipe inspiration. Here's the method she uses for a Turkey Crown. I haven't tried it, but other recipes I've tried from the blog have all been a success

https://www.everynookandcranny.net/instant-pot-turkey-crown/

That’s exactly what I used! 😂

I forgot to preheat the oven so the browning on top took a while longer than expected but totally my own fault and I overdid it a fraction in the end. Turkey tasted great though and I’m more than confident it will work on Christmas Day. We’re eating turkey leftovers today!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Salt water or other? I'll be soaking mine in buttermilk a la Neven Maguire's recipe for the third year running, it's really good.

This, presumably?
    https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/recipes/2013/1209/744077-buttermilk-brined-roast-crown-of-turkey/

Not yet sure what to do on the treat side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gilly 60

TheShow wrote: »
    Stumbled upon a different take on sprouts a few years back. I love them as they are, but this way they're even better again!

Boil them as normal, in the meantime make a nice mornay sauce and a lemon & parsley pangratatto. Put spouts into baking dish, pour over sauce and cover with the pangratatto. Bake in the oven until golden and crisp on the top.

Show restraint by no eating them all before they get to the table. :-)
    Sprouts sounds wonderfull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Turkey ham roast potatoes mash carrots peas sorours gravy. Never alters. Plum pudding for after with custard and or cream.
    Turkey is left to roast while we head out with pup. A couple of bastes later and a half hour rest while potatoes roasting. Usually have bottle of wine and bottle of bucks too. Wont be having any this year. Ive to head to work at 6

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Stuffing balls done. Prepped and frozen. Turkey and ham ordered too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The Billy family have decided to not have any roast dinners between now & Christmas to make it a bit more special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Planning like a mad woman on the Xmas foodie gifts....just trying to figure out where to start....

I know the likes of jams / relishes should have a decent shelf life e.g. a month or two if the jars are pasturised....but with regards to sweet treats like rocky road, truffles etc....when is the earliest I could put them together? I've been hoarding jam / pickle jars and got some acetate during the week for a cracker "Christmas tree"...

Also with regard to the tree - anyone know where I could grab a set of cheap xmas tree cookie cutters? I've seen a set of increasing sizes in nesbits in Dublin city but it's E25...I know I could probably find some cheaper sets in Dealz but I doubt they would have the size differences I'm looking for.

Merci!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭jellybear

Stargazer7 wrote: »
    Also with regard to the tree - anyone know where I could grab a set of cheap xmas tree cookie cutters? I've seen a set of increasing sizes in nesbits in Dublin city but it's E25...I know I could probably find some cheaper sets in Dealz but I doubt they would have the size differences I'm looking for.

Merci!

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/christmas-baking/christmas-trees-cutter-set/invt/069517

Not sure if they're right size wise :)

jellybear wrote: »

Thanks so much Jellybear - I think I can make a mini tree with 5 cutters if I double up each one...much prefer E4 to E25! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Munt1core

We do a turkey and a gammon on the Webber and are suckers for all the Xmas food goodies.

Xmas pud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Anyone care to share some prawn cocktail recipes that differ from the usual red sauce and mayo mix :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Slattsy wrote: »
    Anyone care to share some prawn cocktail recipes that differ from the usual red sauce and mayo mix :)

It's not really prawn cocktail without Marie Rose sauce.
    I add sherry or brandy, Tabasco, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce to mine.

Stargazer7 wrote: »
    Thanks so much Jellybear - I think I can make a mini tree with 5 cutters if I double up each one...much prefer E4 to E25! :D

Just on this in case anyone else is looking - I stumbled upon the stars in Lidl for E3!

If you like indian spices you could make a kind of curried sauce - either spike the mayo with some curry powder to taste or you could make it a bit lighter with some thick greek yoghurt instead of the mayo and top with some fresh coriander and a squeeze of lime juice. You could serve the prawn cocktail with mini flatbreads / naans to fill bigger tummies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Not very different but much better flavour is Delia's older yoghurt version with mayo, greek yoghurt, horseradish, lemon juice, Lea & Perrins, garlic, and Tabasco with a bit of tomato purée. It has a real zing to it. Just don't go mad on the tabasco or cayenne.

I spent an eye-watering amount of money on really good frozen coldwater Irish prawns from the local fishmongers because this is a family favourite, but Aldi's prawns are also very good. We never, ever use king prawns from the far east - they've a totally different texture.

I haven't tried her new version with ketchup and lime juice. Mostly because if it ain't broke... I'd be killed.

http://thetaste.ie/wp/prawn-cocktail-recipe-bryan-mccarthy/#.Wi_ifomP8_c.twitter

Just came across this.
    For clarity, I am affiliated with Blackwater Distillery.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Not very different but much better flavour is Delia's older yoghurt version with mayo, greek yoghurt, horseradish, lemon juice, Lea & Perrins, garlic, and Tabasco with a bit of tomato purée. It has a real zing to it. Just don't go mad on the tabasco or cayenne.

I spent an eye-watering amount of money on really good frozen coldwater Irish prawns from the local fishmongers because this is a family favourite, but Aldi's prawns are also very good. We never, ever use king prawns from the far east - they've a totally different texture.

I haven't tried her new version with ketchup and lime juice. Mostly because if it ain't broke... I'd be killed.

Yep. I thought Delia had a good recipe, but when I searched for prawn cocktail on her site I just got the modern version, so thanks for finding the original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

http://thetaste.ie/wp/prawn-cocktail-recipe-bryan-mccarthy/#.Wi_ifomP8_c.twitter

Just came across this.
    For clarity, I am affiliated with Blackwater Distillery.

That sounds amazing! Will have to try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Need some help.
    My first Christmas cooking. Ordered my turkey from M & S-the crown that serves 8-10.

Was planning to do the Nevin Maguire recipe of buttermilk turkey with the harrisa butter. But just realised he butterflies the turkey. Going to a butcher is not really an option. Has anyone ever done this recipe with the full crown?

Or does anyone have any good recipes for doing the crown of turkey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Need some help.
    My first Christmas cooking. Ordered my turkey from M & S-the crown that serves 8-10.

Was planning to do the Nevin Maguire recipe of buttermilk turkey with the harrisa butter. But just realised he butterflies the turkey. Going to a butcher is not really an option. Has anyone ever done this recipe with the full crown?

Or does anyone have any good recipes for doing the crown of turkey?

Hmmm, sounds lovely. I’d say the big difference between butterflied and crown would be cooking time, the crown will take longer - 20mins per lb (450g) plus 20mins. You’ll also need to cover the crown with something to try and keep it moist. I usually use streaky bacon but don’t think that would go with harissa. I’d just try sticking it in a roasting bag and seal tightly.

Good luck! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Okay, I might need your help now. I'm doing a Roastbeef on Stephen's day, I ordered a Top Sirloin with roughly 1,5 kg since I thought it'll just be me, my partner and my 7yo eating.
    Now we have the in-laws and the uncle over on Stephen's day, I guess the roast wouldn't be enough for all of us? Should I call the butcher and order more? I didn't realize until recently that'll be a proper meal for 3 extremely picky eaters and it's stressing me.

LirW wrote: »
    Okay, I might need your help now. I'm doing a Roastbeef on Stephen's day, I ordered a Top Sirloin with roughly 1,5 kg since I thought it'll just be me, my partner and my 7yo eating.
    Now we have the in-laws and the uncle over on Stephen's day, I guess the roast wouldn't be enough for all of us? Should I call the butcher and order more? I didn't realize until recently that'll be a proper meal for 3 extremely picky eaters and it's stressing me.

Is that on the bone weight? If so, I'd bump it up a bit. If it's boneless, you've got 5½ people for 3lb of beef.
    Either way, fill them up with an initial drink with some cocktail sausages and other nibbles, then a starter with a bit of salad and bread, then your roast with lots of veg, yorkshire puddding, roasties, stuffing balls, gravy, then cheese and crackers and subsequently desserts. I reckon that'd be okay. Nobody will be able to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

No, I get it boneless. The thing is I'm not sure what to do as a starter, there won't be Yorkshire pudding and most likely no stuffing balls, I'm not doing the typical Irish thing. The MIL eats child portions, that's not the problem, the FIL is ridiculously picky though and it takes him a good bit of balls to break out of his routine and do something else on Stephen's day that he usually does for the like last 30 years.

Might bump the meat amount up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

It’s started......
    Braised red cabbage with apple and juniper berries done. Doing the stuffing this afternoon. :)

Dilemma: How do you de-shell pistachios for the stuffing without eating the nuts at the same time. :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

It’s started......
    Braised red cabbage with apple and juniper berries done. Doing the stuffing this afternoon. :)

Dilemma: How do you de-shell pistachios for the stuffing without eating the nuts at the same time. :confused:
    As I've learned from years of baking, doubling the amount of nuts is the only way. (at least)

Not technically Christmas cooking...but it's baking...and it's almost Christmas :)

Made some gur cake yesterday. Was pretty happy with it as a first attempt but was surprised at the colour of the middle not being as dark as shop bought cake. Was speaking to the wise mammeh this evening and apparently the shops / commercial bakeries cheat with colouring :eek:

Is anyone getting any fancy drinks for Christmas? I'm getting a bottle if creme de menthe, to offer and have as an aperitif.

beertons wrote: »
    Is anyone getting any fancy drinks for Christmas? I'm getting a bottle if creme de menthe, to offer and have as an aperitif.

Keep it the fridge so. It's like mouthwash at room temp, even over ice.
    We have some special Lustau Fino, some Caskmates Jameson and Mayfair vodka. So far. As well as the standard Bristol Cream for the trifle. Nothing else will do. Currently debating between Aldi's nice gin or a big name brand. Advice gladly welcomed.

To keep it foodie, I'm doing some spiced almonds to accompany the Fino. Any idea how long they'd stay perky?

I had a bottle of caskmates last year, thought it was normal jemmy with a different label. I might get a bottle of black barrel, as that has a nice bite to it. Don't want to go too mad on the drink though, as it's only myself that drinks spirits. Will get a bottle of Dingle vodka though, as it's my treat.

Thinking hard about not smoking the ham, and slow cooking it in coke instead. I haven't done either before, but I think in the slow cooker would be handier.

• Advertisement

beertons wrote: »

Why? Don't you like your visitors?;):D:D

Advertisement