Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas cooking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Anyone know where to get a nice dry cured ham in Dublin?

Nolan’s in Clontarf have them. €25/€26 depending on smoked or pale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Dunnes have some but it's expensive. I think it's a tenner for 60g of the Spanish stuff. Bit cheaper for the Italian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Any ideas for a vegan starter, that would, ideally take very little doing??? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Slattsy wrote: »

Poached pear with walnuts, small salad of mixed leaves, chopped beetroot.
    I've made this a few times and it's always a hit.
    You could poach the pears now the longer you leave them the better the effect

now online wrote: »
    Poached pear with walnuts, small salad of mixed leaves, chopped beetroot.
    I've made this a few times and it's always a hit.
    You could poach the pears now the longer you leave them the better the effect

Sounds ideal actually.

What did you poach the pears in and did you add anything to it?

• Advertisement

Sounds ideal actually.

What did you poach the pears in and did you add anything to it?

I poach them in lidls mulled wine or whatever bottle of red I happen to have if I use ordinary wine I add mulled wine spices you can buy in any supermarket. The mulled wine premade works just as well.

Method:

Peel pears and put in a deepish pot, cover with wine bring to boil and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Turn off and let the pears soak in the liquid as long as possible, the longer the better to absorb the liquid and colour.

When you're ready to serve assemble a few mixed leaves on the plate, crush a few walnuts and chop the beetroot. I also crumble some blue cheese over it but I don't know if that's suitable for veggies.

Either way it looks as good as it tastes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You’ll have to make sure that the wine is vegan. A lot of wines use animal based products as fining agents.

I wonder would cranberry juice work with the mulled wine spices? I didn't think about the wine being non vegan!

Broccoli and blue cheese soup is good too but might be a bit heavy.

I poach them in lidls mulled wine or whatever bottle of red I happen to have if I use ordinary wine I add mulled wine spices you can buy in any supermarket. The mulled wine premade works just as well.

Method:

Peel pears and put in a deepish pot, cover with wine bring to boil and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Turn off and let the pears soak in the liquid as long as possible, the longer the better to absorb the liquid and colour.

When you're ready to serve assemble a few mixed leaves on the plate, crush a few walnuts and chop the beetroot. I also crumble some blue cheese over it but I don't know if that's suitable for veggies.

Either way it looks as good as it tastes!

Sounds awesome.

Was thinking goats cheese would go great with that, then remembered - vegan :D
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    You’ll have to make sure that the wine is vegan. A lot of wines use animal based products as fining agents.

Oh ffs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Just finishing off the tesco online order for collection tomorrow and the amount of food is silly! So I'm going to copy Kyliths layout above and see where I can trim back.

Breakfast
    Sausages & scrambled egg
    Sweet waffles with strawberries
    Bucks Fizz
    Coffee

Starter
    none! (toddler too young to sit for a full meal so hoping by going straight to mains we will have the dinner together)

Mains
    Turkey and Ham (quorn roast), buttery mash, roasties, roast carrots and parnsips, cauliflower cheese and roast sprouts with bacon

Dessert
    Chocolate yule log sundae (topped with strawberries, vanilla icecream & caramel)
    or
    Tesco Finest salted caramel bomb (if anyone has tried this please let me know if it's nice)
    or
    Icecream cone

Later (and days that follow)
    Cheese board with a strong cheddar, brie, danish blue and wensleydale, served with oat crackers, walnuts and a chilli jam

Leftover sandwiches on batch bread with Heinz mayo, and a packet of tayto!

• Advertisement

I wonder would cranberry juice work with the mulled wine spices? I didn't think about the wine being non vegan!

Broccoli and blue cheese soup is good too but might be a bit heavy.

And being cheese, not vegan!

Oh ffs!!
    I know. I’ve no time for vegan nonsense. Especially if you’re going to follow it to the full letter of the law. Sure you can’t use certain types of hairspray!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

And being cheese, not vegan!

I know. I’ve no time for vegan nonsense. Especially if you’re going to follow it to the full letter of the law. Sure you can’t use certain types of hairspray!!

What irks me is that mainstream eating is adversely affected by minority tastes. If I'm making food for guests I'll be using the best I can source. Being quizzed about the cheese origins of a nice pesto dish, or a refusal to eat trifle because it has gelatine in the jelly. (Yes, my trifle has jelly. :D )

Unless an individual has a true allergy to something, I was taught that guests eat what the host provides, or takes a tiny amount to push around the plate while interacting. No-one starves by not having an entire (old-fashioned) food pyramid at a single meal. And if you are a passionate vegan, we've probably heard it all a dozen times before. Eat your aubergine facon at home and chow down on veg in butter while you're here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Dubl07 wrote: »

Unless an individual has a true allergy to something, I was taught that guests eat what the host provides, or takes a tiny amount to push around the plate while interacting. No-one starves by not having an entire (old-fashioned) food pyramid at a single meal. And if you are a passionate vegan, we've probably heard it all a dozen times before. Eat your aubergine facon at home and chow down on veg in butter while you're here.
    The issue with that is that if you're not used to animal fats and protein eating them can make you really ill.

That's before getting into the fact that it's hard to put your ethics on hold for a day. Just pray you don't get one of those vegans who'll lecture about what everyone else is eating.
    Try Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.ie/search/pins/?q=Easy%20vegan%20starter&rs=typed&term_meta[]=Easy%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=vegan%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=starter%7Ctyped

What irks me is that mainstream eating is adversely affected by minority tastes. If I'm making food for guests I'll be using the best I can source. Being quizzed about the cheese origins of a nice pesto dish, or a refusal to eat trifle because it has gelatine in the jelly. (Yes, my trifle has jelly. :D )

I would agree 100% with you but it’s like you’re lying to them. I wouldn’t mind if they were total strangers but when it’s friends and family you have to try to be true. Still a real pain in the butt though - two Christmas dinners but no goose fat roasties or Brussels in butter with pancetta, I could go on..... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Since I'm so stressed out at the moment and only whip up my shopping list right now and still have to figure out a dessert for Stephen's day (don't ever do major renovation coming closer to Christmas!), I came across this simple Christmas log on the French Tasty site.
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/gwenaellelecochennec/buche-de-noel-choco-framboise?bffbfrance&utm_term=.nuAAalLA3#.jdpyEqKy6

I'll try making it with the brioche from Aldi, or does anyone else have an idea where to get a bigger quantity of brioche?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Not wanting to distract, but I was taught that when hosting, it's your duty to find out what your guests like and dislike, and what they can and can't eat. You don't invite a Jewish person for dinner and expect them to eat the scallops you've prepared with that lovely cream sauce, after all.

I think we'd best stop the hostilities and go back to the foods we are looking forward to.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Not wanting to distract, but I was taught that when hosting, it's your duty to find out what your guests like and dislike, and what they can and can't eat. You don't invite a Jewish person for dinner and expect them to eat the scallops you've prepared with that lovely cream sauce, after all.

I think we'd best stop the hostilities and go back to the foods we are looking forward to.

I’m not going to continue the vegan debate, but what’s that about scallops and Jewish people?

I’m not going to continue the vegan debate, but what’s that about scallops and Jewish people?

Jewish people can’t eat shellfish or pork. They have loads of little rules about food and it’s preparation - seperate kitchens are commonplace in Jewish homes to prepare different foods.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashrut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Kosher eating; some things are forbidden. Shellfish and mixing meat and milk. You want to see the kitchen of someone who keeps strictly Kosher. Different sinks, dishes, pots and pans.

A tiny return to vegans, and vegetarians: I wouldn't lie, nor wouid I be inhospitable. It just drives me bananas. :)

Cool. Only knew a few of the rules of Kosher eating. Didn’t know shellfish was forbaden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My husband was gifted a turkey and ham. We usually get a boned and rolled or crown. Me being veg and the toddler being teeny a 16lb turkey is going to go a long way.

I'm very nervous about cooking it. And I don't want to waste any. So I'd appreciate any tips for a fool proof cooking and also some ideas for using the remains (besides curry which is a give in).

I'd rather cook it whole.

Literally first time cooking something this size.

Menu sorted.

Starters Soup/melon or smoked salmon souffle.

Usual turkey, ham and spiced beef served with
    Potato stuffing, mash, garlic cream potatoes
    Carrots, Brussels, red cabbage and cauliflower.
    Stuffing balls and sage and onion bread stuffing.

Dessert
    Puddings made since November, new York baked cheesecake and chocolate mousse.

It's a lot but everyone comes for the two days, what's not eaten on Christmas day will be eaten st Stephens day.

Whispered wrote: »
    My husband was gifted a turkey and ham. We usually get a boned and rolled or crown. Me being veg and the toddler being teeny a 16lb turkey is going to go a long way.

I'm very nervous about cooking it. And I don't want to waste any. So I'd appreciate any tips for a fool proof cooking and also some ideas for using the remains (besides curry which is a give in).

I'd rather cook it whole.

Literally first time cooking something this size.

I'm far from an expert, but I have paid attention a few days ago when Jaimie was doing a turkey on telly - 20 minutes per kilo of weight, and he had tinfoil over the bird until the last hour of cooking, to keep it moist. He also said to let it rest 2 hours before serving, though that did seem rather long to me.

For leftovers, a cottage pie or a hotpot? I suspect it's best to have leftovers of such dry meat in something with a lot of sauce. But I would imagine it would also work really really well in a nice pasta salad, or in tabouleh for something a bit lighter.

Ok, we're just the two of us, but our menu will be :

Deviled eggs, lentil pate, crackers and a some side-salad for starters
    Nut roast, stuffed portobello mushrooms, red cabbage, sprouts, carrots and roast potatoes for mains (we like to keep that traditional)
    Lebkuchen chocolate mousse for dessert

We've already filled up the fridge with various types of ales, there's some homemade plum liqueur and some Baileys, and I have 3 big tins or home-made German christmas biscuits.
    I'm not expecting to be able to move for a few days after that.

Ok, we're just the two of us, but our menu will be :

Deviled eggs, lentil pate, crackers and a some side-salad for starters
    Nut roast, stuffed portobello mushrooms, red cabbage, sprouts, carrots and roast potatoes for mains (we like to keep that traditional)
    Lebkuchen chocolate mousse for dessert

We've already filled up the fridge with various types of ales, there's some homemade plum liqueur and some Baileys, and I have 3 big tins or home-made German christmas biscuits.
    I'm not expecting to be able to move for a few days after that.

That sounds absolutely lovely, you’re forgiven!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I'm far from an expert, but I have paid attention a few days ago when Jaimie was doing a turkey on telly - 20 minutes per kilo of weight, and he had tinfoil over the bird until the last hour of cooking, to keep it moist. He also said to let it rest 2 hours before serving, though that did seem rather long to me.

For leftovers, a cottage pie or a hotpot? I suspect it's best to have leftovers of such dry meat in something with a lot of sauce. But I would imagine it would also work really really well in a nice pasta salad, or in tabouleh for something a bit lighter.

its 20 minutes per lb! Be careful out there #fakenews

Just completed the dreaded Christmas food shop. I think everyone had the same idea to get it done early Friday morning. One hour queuing at the checkout!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Just completed the dreaded Christmas food shop. I think everyone had the same idea to get it done early Friday morning. One hour queuing at the checkout!!!

im gonna go at about 9.30pm tonight.....always works a charm

im gonna go at about 9.30pm tonight.....always works a charm

I was off work so I thought I’d get it out of the way. :( Hangover didn’t help either.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Did it take you long? I'm not back till 4.

Advertisement