Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas cooking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

beertons wrote: »
    Did it take you long? I'm not back till 4.

Shopping not so long. Had to queue for a trolley. Queuing at the checkout took a full hour. Once I was done I had to check to see if they had repacked the shelves with celery. They had. So back into another not so long queue.

On the way back home I popped into Tesco to get a few bits. Not a sinner in the place and loads of parking. Sod’s law.

I think everyone had the same idea. Drop the kids to school and then hit the shops before collecting them. I just went at a bad time. Only solution would’ve been to go just before schools but then I would’ve had to go back for booze.

At least it’s all done now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'll be heading to Lidl shortly. Really hope it's not mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

its 20 minutes per lb! Be careful out there #fakenews

This isn't fake news at all.

I am familiar with this recipe & he does say 20 mins per kilo, covered in butter-soaked muslin & the tinfoil. I'll be doing this myself, but checking the juices at the thickest part of the thigh to ensure it is fully cooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just completed the dreaded Christmas food shop. I think everyone had the same idea to get it done early Friday morning. One hour queuing at the checkout!!!

Same in Cornelscourt. I waited for a trolley. Waited at Whelans for the pre-ordered meat. The Whelans team were very lovely though - they had staff circulating with smiles and sweets. I'd other stuff on my list but did a complete turn-about and double-take at the queues right up the aisles for the checkouts and shuffled forward for a whole hour. I counted 14 trolleys in front of me by the time I could see the front of the line. By that stage there were the same number behind me. I didn't get eggs for royal icing. I don't care. I'll get them from the local spar instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

How long ahead can you make ravioli/tortellini? I want to get as much prep as possible done for Christmas day but my 'lets make having dinner on Christmas eve a tradition' brother booked dinner for 3pm!

Who books dinner at 3pm! I'm having a stress meltdown just thinking about all the prep I won't be able to get done.

I know supermarkets would have them on shelves for days, but they're probably full of stabilisers and preservatives and stuff.

Breathe... I can get the meat seared and wrapped in duxelle and parma ham tomorrow, wrap them in cling and leave them to set in the fridge for Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

That actually wasn't as bad as I thought. 90 minutes, 4 shops. And didn't spend as much as I thought. Never seen the fridge and press so packed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Got nearly everything today in Aldi, took about 20 minutes, queued for about 3 minutes, perfect!
    Have about 5 things left on the list to get in Tesco tomorrow and I'll probably end up queuing an hour to pay for them but feck it, I'll get a takeaway coffee, be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

With many apologies to those with school going children....

The best time to shop (if you have the time off of course) is around school pick up time. I know this!

Was in SuperValu today around 12 and it was practically empty. Kids off school early for Christmas!

Take note....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Click and collect.
    Perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Its been a while but I always liked this thread

First off, very best wishes to you and yours, hope you all have a great one, eat too much, drink too much, etc but enjoy it!

Christmas sort of crept up on us this year but the shopping is done (nearly!) and was relatively painless. New Fridge has led to less stress around the previous years jenga games!

Plan at the moment is:

Breakfast: Brekkie roulade (all the good stuff in pastry) with eggs for anyone wanting same.

Mass and then back to the house for dinner prep (homage to HB there will be G&Ts at this point!)

Trio of smoked Salmon on brown bread for nibbles

Starter of a mix of Italian cured meats with fruit (i.e. melon and ham with notions)

Turkey crown and stuffed leg, ham, two types of spud, carrots, special sprouts(!) and maybe spiced cabbage or butternut squash chunks (tbc)
    This will be served with a nice Shiraz, Cab Sav and or water

Desert (at this point Im sort of done) will be traditional pud and I hoping some very good cheese!

Lots of coffee chat etc and then the guests will depart leaving us to nod off on the couches to what ever is on the TV in front on the fire. Dont really do sambos later on but I might sneak a Grappa, Espresso and some dark chocolate if nobody is looking!

Have a great one folks no matter what you are cooking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Our first Christmas Pud mention! Times, they are a changin’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Chin-chin, kenco! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,203 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Me and the little lass went to see Star Wars today. Got loaded up on sugar treats that stood to us later. Hit Supermacs for a feed after the movie (that Christmas burger 5oz thing is a belly burster!) and then rambled through Dealz, Tescos and Smiths at our ease, laughing at the madness. I always laugh at the madness because my lovely wife has taught me to plan ahead. She couldn't be with us today, but we got to bring back stories of doom and gloom from our adventure. that cheered her right up!:D

Food wise, I was merely picking up some dips and El Paso stuff in Tesco's. The Q's were a bit mental, but eventual a lovely lady had the decency to say, you go ahead of me lad coz it will take me ages with this trolley. I jumped ahead and then me and my daughter waited for the same lady and helped pack her trolley and down to the car park. Sorry. Not strictly a cooking thing, but after hearing about some struggles here in Supermarkets, I just thought I'd add it.

A lovely day!

Whilst my shopping is hopefully done, I'd like to go back tomorrow and help someone like you did too.

Been very lucky so far when it comes to queuing. I’ve been picking up most stuff on a daily basis so no need for a big shop. Collecting the turkey in the morning from the airport (long story!) then just veg and a bottle of sherry for the trifle to buy. Will probably go local for both and leave the Aldi queues to someone else - i’d say tomorrow is going to be absolutely crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Been very lucky so far when it comes to queuing. I’ve been picking up most stuff on a daily basis so no need for a big shop. Collecting the turkey in the morning from the airport (long story!) then just veg and a bottle of sherry for the trifle to buy. Will probably go local for both and leave the Aldi queues to someone else - i’d say tomorrow is going to be absolutely crazy!

Come on - you can't tease us like that! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

My turkey arrived this morning. Almost 8kg and thankfully it fits in the oven!

Lots of breast meat by the look of it. Legs smaller than your normal turkey.

Also came with a jar of craft cranberry sauce and butter. Nice touch by Hogans Farm. Hopefully it tastes as good as it looks!

“Flight 203 The Turkey Express has been cleared for landing”. :D

This takes Free Range to a whole new level!!

I thought it was code for mother in law.

beertons wrote: »
    I thought it was code for mother in law.

:D

• Advertisement

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Come on - you can't tease us like that! :)

Ha! My brother gets a turkey from work every year. As he didn’t need it this year, I’m taking it. He lives in Cavan, I’m in Dublin. My sister, who lives in Wales, was flying in to Dublin Airport this morning and my brother was meeting her to drive her back to my Mum’s. So I met him there as well and collected the turkey!

(Are you still awake?) ;)

He asked me a couple of days ago what size I wanted. ‘5-5.5kg max please’. He arrived with 7kg beast! :D

Been very lucky so far when it comes to queuing.

By far the worst queue I ended up in yesterday was to lodge a cheque in PTSB. Three out of four machines were broken. People were practically rioting by the time I left.
    Collecting the turkey in the morning from the airport (long story!)

We get ours from Sean O'Brien. Yes, the rugby play. Also a long story :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

That is one turkey that would rather not be home for Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I got a smoked ham on the bone this Christmas, usually cook green ham, what do I do with this one, as I usually coat the green in the brown sugar, mustard and clove,, anyone well versed in looking after the smoked version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

goat2 wrote: »
    I got a smoked ham on the bone this Christmas, usually cook green ham, what do I do with this one, as I usually coat the green in the brown sugar, mustard and clove,, anyone well versed in looking after the smoked version

Treat it exactly as you would a green ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just dropped my Mum in our local dunnes and drove around in circles for a bit to find a space....it’s manic inside I’d say, luckily I’m waiting in the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Doing the red cabbage now, icing will be done later for the christmas cake. I'll do the mash and ham tomorrow.

Most important thing will be cooked on the day, the roast spuds. Also the least important in the turkey.

Ham in 2L of coke for the 3rd year in a row. No point in changing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Looking forward to seeing how the brine operation works out.

Saw spiced beef, but didn't buy any. Supermarket was relatively non-hectic this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Starter will be the old '70's favourite - prawn cocktail.

We're not having turkey this year - just 4 T-bone steaks, one for me, one for the husband, one for the son and one for the dog. 3 fried

chips and spinach will be the accompaniments. A Masi Campofiorin Rosso wine from The Veneto in Italy to complete the feast.

The dessert is the best bit. We have a bakery near us that make the most incredible mince pies. I've broken up the pies, mixed them into vanilla ice cream with a half a glass of Baileys. The lovely dessert is in the freezer as I type.

For Stephen's Day - Chicken Curry.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote:
    We get ours from Sean O'Brien. Yes, the rugby player. Also a long story

My sister just arrived back from collecting it and goes "I've Cian Healy's turkey in the boot of my car."

Never a dull moment :D:D

Advertisement