Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooker Switch - neon

Options
  • 26-09-2017 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

Does a cooker switch have to have a red neon indicator or does the switch have to be red? I'm trying to keep things simple and clean visually and just wondering if there is any issue with me getting one of the MK white cooker switches without the red neon indicator.

Edit - also what's the rule on how far the switch is from the oven? I've a line of full height built in units which the cooker is built into and then a kitchen island which has the dishwasher and hob. Can I put the cooker, hob and dishwasher switch elsewhere in the kitchen as it can't be above or right beside the appliance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I dont think the neon is compulsory.

All fixed appliances must have a local isolator within 2m. Not sure if this has been changed or amended.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

Tuco88 wrote: »
    I dont think the neon is compulsory.

All fixed appliances must have a local isolator within 2m. Not sure if this has been changed or amended.

House was rewired earlier this year and he didn't install an isolator for the oven. No hob, just an electric oven with a 13A fused plug straight into the wall. It is on a separate circuit. The plug is behind the kitchen units and not accessible.

I take it this needs an isolator? I thought it odd since he did install an isolator for the washing machine.

If that's the case, is the easiest solution putting an isolator inside the press beside the oven?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

stiofan85 wrote:
    House was rewired earlier this year and he didn't install an isolator for the oven. No hob, just an electric oven with a 13A fused plug straight into the wall. It is on a separate circuit. The plug is behind the kitchen units and not accessible.

Did you get a reci certificate for the rewire?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭FUBO

stiofan85 wrote: »

I take it this needs an isolator? I thought it odd since he did install an isolator for the washing machine.

If that's the case, is the easiest solution putting an isolator inside the press beside the oven?

COWBOY

FUBO wrote: »
    COWBOY
    Seriously? That's great to hear.

So anyway...can an isolator be installed?

• Advertisement

took a look behind the oven and there is space to put an isolator through the cupboard, where it will be conveniently and easily accessed and won't be unsightly.

thanks

I take it you have a gas hob then?

He did the right thing by putting it on its own circuit for starters. He should have placed a simular DP isolator like that on the washing machine (its just like a normal switch it might say oven).

The isolator should be accessible.

Plan
    (A) The hard way... always the right way....(tiled wall = ��)
    Chase the wall above the oven and counter top( need to know exact location of conduit) and place the isolater there,If the electrican is surgical he could chase a small enough hole to get at the cables and place a surface box with isolator, might not look the best.

He could also do this in mini trunking and surface with no chasing. Also might not be to your tast.

Plan B.... Grey way...

Install the isolator in the nearing press via mini trunking, this may require a small J.B and so on.

Plan C a temp job.

Drill a hole in the nearing press, get a very short extension lead 2m or so with 1 socket outlet. Plug the lead into the socket and the oven into the lead socket in the press.
    This away at least you can plug it out.

Tuco88 wrote: »
    I take it you have a gas hob then?

He did the right thing by putting it on its own circuit for starters. He should have placed a simular DP isolator like that on the washing machine (its just like a normal switch it might say oven).

The isolator should be accessible.

Plan
    (A) The hard way... always the right way....(tiled wall = ��)
    Chase the wall above the oven and counter top( need to know exact location of conduit) and place the isolater there,If the electrican is surgical he could chase a small enough hole to get at the cables and place a surface box with isolator, might not look the best.

He could also do this in mini trunking and surface with no chasing. Also might not be to your tast.

Plan B.... Grey way...

Install the isolator in the nearing press via mini trunking, this may require a small J.B and so on.

Plan C a temp job.

Drill a hole in the nearing press, get a very short extension lead 2m or so with 1 socket outlet. Plug the lead into the socket and the oven into the lead socket in the press.
    This away at least you can plug it out.

Induction hob on a 10sqmm t&e. Own circuit with a neon isolator. So that's why I was surprised he didn't do this but right.

I'm lucky that the socket is nearby and access is easy enough behind. I am quite competent and can put it in. I'll follow up with some photos when I do it...guess I'll have to do the same for the fridge on the other side.

You will need a RECI to do all of the above work bar the extension lead.

Just so you are in the know!

Advertisement