Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgot to renew and now I've lost my no claims discount

Options
  • 26-09-2017 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Just last week I realised my car insurance policy had expired.
    Though the disc read 09-17 it doesnt work like the tax disc and i wasnt in fact covered until the end of September !! It was a few days into september ( luckily I was on holidays and not driving around in the car ) !!!
    I of course got my renewal quotes etc. in July/earlu August but had loads of time to sort it and had sep 30th worst case in my head.........

So I immediately ring Aviva whom I have been a customer for 15 years + and they put me through the "new customer" procedure and promptly take my no claims discount ( which I had had no claims on ever.... ).

Despite explaining my error I could not renew my old policy.
    They now want almost twice the price for a "new policy" and I am starting my No claims from scratch having filled out the new policy proposal form which for a long time customer is insulting.

I have protested lots and complained with them but their attitude in hiding behind procedures is terrible, especially considering I am a loyal customer since early Hibernian days !!!

This is a discrace. They surely cannot have grounds to remove someones no claims bonus after 15 days from policy expiring, can they ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

You can't have lost your no claims bonus, it lasts for 2 years after your policy ends. You're probably just getting new business rates instead of renewal rates. They don't have to give you renewal rates, you let your policy lapse and there are no days grace with car insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    You can't have lost your no claims bonus, it lasts for 2 years after your policy ends. You're probably just getting new business rates instead of renewal rates. They don't have to give you renewal rates, you let your policy lapse and there are no days grace with car insurance.

I thought NCB lasted for 6 months after a policy expires?

Either way - OP, you should still have your NCB, you just might not get as good a deal on the overall price as you would have before

(saying that, there is a reason why people change companies at renewal time, to get a better deal elsewhere so shop around and you might end up better off overall)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

There is no legal standing in No Claims it is just something made up by the insurance companies so they can kinda do what they want with it.
    That said if Avaiva aren't playing ball other insurers should have no problem recognizing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jeffy17

Some insurance companies will accept your error if you were to sign a declaration advising there has been no accidents since your policy lapsed and now. If Aviva refuse to quote you with your NCB register a complaint and ask that they come back to you with a final response letter.
    In the meantime go to a broker

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Aviva should have sent you a cert of NCB with the renewal. You can use that to get insurance elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

thanks all. I'm hanging in there battling with Aviva and slowly getting somewhere. Nightmare long phone calls.

Advertisement