Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non payment of rent from a tenant on rent allowance

Options
  • 26-09-2017 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

My tenant has fallen into arrears. His rent is €120 per week and he is in receipt of rent allowance to cover this exact amount. Do I have any recourse with the Department of Social Welfare? Am I obliged to inform them that I have not received this money?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Not sure about obliged, but i'd definitely drop them a line!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Im sure they'll come back and say not our issue....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Social welfare payments for housing are specifically arranged in a way that doesn't make the local authority or department liable for any rent. The tenancy exists between the landlord and the tenant in the same way as with a private tenant and the obligations are still in force for that tenant.

If the tenant is receiving the rent supplement first and is then supposed to pay you, it's either they have cut off his payments or he's spent it on something else. If it's HAP or RS that's paid directly to you, the tenant hasn't done something and they've stopped payment to you (or maybe there's a mixup but it should be the tenant to sort it).

Your first port of call is your tenant to remind them the rent is due and you haven't been paid. If that doesn't work, you'll have to issue 14 day notice of rent arrears followed by 28 day notice of termination.

Advertisement