Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm A Celebrity 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

anna080 wrote: »
    I somehow missed the handshake the first time around and only saw it there on Daily Mail. Well I'd like to see them try and justify that! I'm glad Iain is backtracking on his comments. Why should he try and make sure the air is clear and set things straight for them when they had zero consideration for his feelings in the jungle.

I missed the handshake too .? Was it not shown on the Coming Out .? Mind you I did occasionally zone out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I missed the handshake too .? Was it not shown on the Coming Out .? Mind you I did occasionally zone out :D

It was shown on that yea but I missed it too! Sure it's hard to keep track when you've one eye on the tv and the other on boards :pac:

giphy.gif

Love all your graphics anna they make me laught

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Only after watching last night's Coming Out show just now. Dennis, Amir, & Becky did themselves absolutely no favours there and have come across even more petty on Twitter. It's so obvious that now Iain has seen what we've seen over the past few weeks and what was said behind his back, that he's not as eager to try and defend these people - I can understand why he still might not want to say that he was bullied, but it's clear from his recent Tweets, particular those in direct response to Dennis & Becky, that he doesn't condone their behaviour. The fact that they were caught out as being in the wrong and rather than hold their hands up and apologise for the way they might have behaved at times they instead set out to "prove" that they hadn't done anything wrong in the first place, which shows a huge lack of integrity.

It's interesting that a few people have said in this thread that if the victim doesn't think they were bullied, then it wasn't bullying, because that's not really the case a lot of the time. There was a lad I was in school with who was extremely socially awkward, quite odd in his behaviour, and most likely on the autistic spectrum, and the way he was treated by some of the others in our year was clear bullying and very often they'd say nasty things behind his back - the rest of us could see it, as could the teachers, and the bullies were often reprimanded and on a few occasions suspended for their treatment of this guy, but the kid who was being bullied would always deny this was the case because of the way in which the bullying was conducted - he was often convinced by the bullies that it was just "banter" and because they would give the impression that he was "part of the gang"; sometimes they'd encourage this guy to bully others in order to protect themselves from being continuously accused of bullying him. He didn't see himself as being bullied, but it was obvious to everyone else, and it was most definitely bullying...

Now this was an extreme case and something that went on for years, but I've definitely seen other instances of this over the years where victims of bullying weren't entirely aware of being bullied. I'm not saying Iain Lee is unaware of how he was treated - I think he knows exactly how he was treated, especially after seeing the things said behind his back, but it's a very different situation, and whether he feels he was bullied or not, or whether he says it publically or not, doesn't make the claims by viewers that he was bullied any less valid. How Iain was treated was a form of bullying, maybe not as extreme as some cases of bullying and because Iain knows how to deal with it it definitely lessens the sting a bit, but the point I wanted to make despite having gone off on a bit of a tangent is that just because someone claims that they weren't bullied does not mean bullying did not happen.

I do think it's good that this has been a talking point, because I think as a society people tend to shy away from the topic of bullying a bit and tend to turn a blind eye, so talking about and addressing bullying as an issue on any scale is always a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,911 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

ASLVB ,

if I could thank your post a hundred times , I would . So well said .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I have no idea why bullying has become such a bad word, to the extent that people like Iain who was clearly bullied, he initially didn’t wanna rock the boat. Bullying is fu*king sh1t and happens to so many people. It destroys your self esteem and is really hard to recover from. The PC brigade can f*ck off saying bullying is a word not to be used unless they view it as serious, even ‘low level’ bullying affects people, and affects their self esteem for the rest of their life.

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    ASLVB ,

if I could thank your post a hundred times , I would . So well said .

Well thank you for saying as much, and thanks everyone here for remaining civil and discussing things like grown ups for the past month - so many threads on boards become derailed and resort to distasteful humour and disrespect of fellow posters (and I'm not just talking about After Hours) so much these days, that its always a pleasure when there's actually a sense of community and respect (mostly) in a thread, despite people having varying opinions.

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    I have no idea why bullying has become such a bad word, to the extent that people like Iain who was clearly bullied, he initially didn’t wanna rock the boat. Bullying is fu*king sh1t and happens to so many people. It destroys your self esteem and is really hard to recover from. The PC brigade can f*ck off saying bullying is a word not to be used unless they view it as serious, even ‘low level’ bullying affects people, and affects their self esteem for the rest of their life.

double post

Community is a great word for the sense of spirit in here alright ASLVB !

Laughs , jokes, minor squabbles , but always fun at the back of it all , knowing we all have different opinions at the end of the day :)

You may start watching CBB , just for the thread alone !

People are entitled to expressing an opinion and discuss what they think without being shot down with a f*ck off for it . While I agree with you that low level bullying affects people I also think that what happened in the jungle is open for discussion without resorting to such aggresion

• Advertisement

People are entitled to expressing an opinion and discuss what they think without being shot down with a f*ck off for it . While I agree with you that low level bullying affects people I also think that what happened in the jungle is open for discussion without resorting to such aggresion

Ah , maybe I'm reading your post wrong , but who shot down who with a **** off ??

Ah , maybe I'm reading your post wrong , but who shot down who with a **** off ??

The post I quoted I read as shooting down the" PC" brigade . Or am I reading it wrong ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Gizmo55 wrote:

It's usually the anti-PC brigade that try to claim words like bullying (or racism or homophobia) are used too loosely.

The post I quoted I read as shooting down the" PC" brigade . Or am I reading it wrong ?

Ah , now I understand what you meant sorry !

I think Gizmo was talking about society in general tbh , not the posters on the thread ?

I don't know , maybe I'm reading everyones posts wrong or something .

Ah , now I understand what you meant sorry !

I think Gizmo was talking about society in general tbh , not the posters on the thread ?

I don't know , maybe I'm reading everyones posts wrong or something .

Lol . Maybe I am just giddy from a night of Strictly ! I took it to be a dig at posters but maybe you are right .

Community is a great word for the sense of spirit in here alright ASLVB !

Laughs , jokes, minor squabbles , but always fun at the back of it all , knowing we all have different opinions at the end of the day :)

You may start watching CBB , just for the thread alone !

Well I'll be watching the US version of CBB (because BBUS is just a damn good show) in February which probably won't air over here unfortunately, but don't know if I could be bothered with the UK one - haven't watched the UK Big Brother since the last season that aired on Channel 4. Maybe if they get a few "celebrities" I know and like on to the UK one, I may be persuaded.

Fun Fact: Keeva (who was on that last series of BB on Channel 4 - the only other person I remember from that season is Shabby) and myself co-hosted a short lived web series a couple of months after that season aired, which thankfully has since seemed to have faded into obscurity. Keeva was sound though - lovely person, although I seem to remember she was portrayed as the villain of that season of Big Brother.

I don't know either , maybe we're both wrong!

Strictly was good , loved Gemma , excellent progress throughout the series , which is what I think the show should be all about , anyhow , wrong thread for that !!

Lol . Maybe I am just giddy from a night of Strictly ! I took it to be a dig at posters but maybe you are right .

Certainly not, I meant society in general.

I wish I could like CBB but not since the like of Mark Owen and his era have I watched it . Ah way back in the day when it was a social experiment !

Went of IAACGMOOH too but loved it this year . Though I think that was more this thread than they actual programme !

Sorry my apologies . I read it wrong .

• Advertisement

Double post . No idea why my posts are double tonight .

Sorry my apologies . I read it wrong .

No worries, I probably could have worded it better.

No worries, I probably could have worded it better.

Ah no just me being daft

I wish I could like CBB but not since the like of Mark Owen and his era have I watched it . Ah way back in the day when it was a social experiment !

Went of IAACGMOOH too but loved it this year . Though I think that was more this thread than they actual programme !

CBB has changed a bit since Mark Owen was in it. Only slightly though :pac:

Well I'll be watching the US version of CBB (because BBUS is just a damn good show) in February which probably won't air over here unfortunately, but don't know if I could be bothered with the UK one - haven't watched the UK Big Brother since the last season that aired on Channel 4. Maybe if they get a few "celebrities" I know and like on to the UK one, I may be persuaded.

Fun Fact: Keeva (who was on that last series of BB on Channel 4 - the only other person I remember from that season is Shabby) and myself co-hosted a short lived web series a couple of months after that season aired, which thankfully has since seemed to have faded into obscurity. Keeva was sound though - lovely person, although I seem to remember she was portrayed as the villain of that season of Big Brother.

Ok ASLVB , you could enter the next CBB , you fit the criteria - knowing a person who was famous for being on a reality show :pac:
    And why say thankfully faded into obscurity ? You have us all wondering now !

All joking aside , I think we all say we won't watch at some point, for whatever reason , but me personally , I'd miss the thread too much , and there's always at least 1 likeable(sort of) Celeb in there :)

Like Kim :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Well thank you for saying as much, and thanks everyone here for remaining civil and discussing things like grown ups for the past month - so many threads on boards become derailed and resort to distasteful humour and disrespect of fellow posters (and I'm not just talking about After Hours) so much these days, that its always a pleasure when there's actually a sense of community and respect (mostly) in a thread, despite people having varying opinions.

Where were you, Also Starring LeVar Burton, when this thread was derailed recently? Wake up people, is all I have to say. Get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I would like to sincerely apologise to this IAC thread...

I've just realised that Rebecca is actually Rebekah. :o

That was bad form on my part. I didn't realise it until I was reading an article today about her (having never previously heard of her or her husband). I know her name on on the opening credits, but yeah I just FF through those parts.

Bono brushed off my shoulder once in Xtra Vision in Dalkey. I’m a Celebrity, get me in the CBB house!

Bono brushed off my shoulder once in Xtra Vision in Dalkey. I’m a Celebrity, get me in the CBB house!

I served Dickie Rock coffee , and a toasted sandwich about thirty year ago , does that count ?:D

• Advertisement

I served Dickie Rock coffee , and a toasted sandwich about thirty year ago , does that count ?:D

Totally! That’s 2 down, the rest better be as famous as us, none of this Made in Chelsea bollox.

Advertisement