Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Say something controversial ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Going by your posting history on this topic, the issue isn't with the women.

Not with me at all, more than courteous to anyone I come across whether in person or online excuse me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Kids in school who misbehave should be given a thoroughly good smack in the face.

Kids in school who misbehave should be given a thoroughly good smack in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Modern Irish women have annoyingly high standards and unrealistic expectations of what they want when seeking a partner and I think it all stems from the celtic tiger era, too used to having everything and more and expect too much from a man, more than the norm.

(Digs a trench and hides)

What unrealistic expectations have you encountered? Is this online dating or "the real world"? On online dating profiles, I think people's expectations can sometimes come across as being a bit rigid, whereas in real life their expectations become more flexible if they "click" with an person in spite of whatever "imperfections" they might have.

RayM wrote: »
    What unrealistic expectations have you encountered? Is this online dating or "the real world"? On online dating profiles, I think people's expectations can sometimes come across as being a bit rigid, whereas in real life their expectations become more flexible if they "click" with an person in spite of whatever "imperfections" they might have.

Lets just say maybe you don't have your own place yet, or maybe if you don't have a car, not earning x amount of money, you get the impression you need to have a masters degree before you can get their phone number almost or other s**t like this expectation of doing so much travelling by a certain point.

I hear similar complaints from a lot of Irish men, who complain that women of our own culture and background are "headwrecks" and they are "constantly moving the goalposts" on blokes that show an interest and men are now favouring going out with non-Irish women because they are more humble, less expectant and demanding on them because a lot of them had a lot less of everything where they were from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Lets just say maybe you don't have your own place yet, or maybe if you don't have a car, not earning x amount of money, you get the impression you need to have a masters degree before you can get their phone number almost or other s**t like this expectation of doing so much travelling by a certain point.

I hear similar complaints from a lot of Irish men, who complain that women of our own culture and background are "headwrecks" and they are "constantly moving the goalposts" on blokes that show an interest and men are now favouring going out with non-Irish women because they are more humble, less expectant and demanding on them because a lot of them had a lot less of everything where they were from.

Apologies, but I find this nonsensical.

This is a bit off topic but, Zcorpian I think you might be projecting your own bad experiences on to the dating scene. Your beliefs are what's holding you back and I guarantee you women can spot them a mile off. Just take it handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It's a while since I've been on a date, but I can't say I've ever met a woman who was put off by the fact that I've never done any proper travelling and don't have much money or a master's. Even when I didn't have my own place or a car, it was never an issue. Perhaps I'm just lucky in that I've never really been all that attracted to people for whom that sort of stuff isn't quite trivial. It's worth remembering that there are plenty of women out there who also don't drive, don't have their own place and have never had their photo taken with a sedated tiger in a zoo while travelling on a two-week package holiday.

Not that some of these things are necessarily unreasonable stuff to want in a potential partner. I've belatedly come to the conclusion that there are various things about my self that I need to work on before I can expect someone else to really want me in their life. Hell of a lot better than blaming them for not being into me, tb perfectly h with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've been single for the guts of six years but I'm self-aware enough to realise that the issue isn't with every single man I've dated/chatted to/texted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Evian water tastes wayyyyyyyyu better than all other waters

Yup the hydrogen is more hydrogeny. And those delicate notes of oxygen coming through underneath...mmmmm

Gorgeous.

I'm gasping now thinking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Poverty jca, is relative. A hundred euros in your back pocket might make you a lord in the slums of Calcutta, but it won't get you too far in Tallaght!

And the point still stands, regardless of whteher I've personally known poverty, or was born with a silver spoon - it's cheaper to cook healthy food than to buy junk food, in any of it's forms.
    Nobody (in Ireland) is so poor that they "have" to eat junk. You can get a heap of veggies in aldi that will feed you for a week for little or nothing.
    People don't buy factory made shít out of necessity because it's all they can afford, they buy it because it's easier than cooking - they in fact pay a fairly hefty premium for that convenience.

if that healthy food has preservatives in it then it's not really healthy to be fair. to buy actual healthy food means organic and that may not always be cheaper then factory junk. or preferibly grow your own veg.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

JK Rowling is a ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I hate knackers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

if that healthy food has preservatives in it then it's not really healthy to be fair.

Incorrect. A preservative is just that, it preserves food. It depends what the preservative is.
    to buy actual healthy food means organic

Nope. Food can be healthy without being organic, and organic food doesn't necessarily mean healthy. Organic is one of those nonsense terms, that can be applied to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Ireland is a safe secure well off country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

if that healthy food has preservatives in it then it's not really healthy to be fair. to buy actual healthy food means organic and that may not always be cheaper then factory junk. or preferibly grow your own veg.

Vinegar is a preservative. Goose fat is also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

I am not a fan of Game of Thrones... I tried to get into it but just couldn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I hate knackers
    Somebody has to dispose of dead and unwanted animals but it's a thankless job.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

daveyeh wrote: »
    Mary Lou McDonald is more terrifying than Gerry Adams.
    An prime example of pure, cold blooded, ruthless ambition. There is no good. There is no evil. There is only self. God help us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

No it doesn't!

People tend to forget that until very recently, (living memory in fact for a select few) basically the entire worlds food production was organic.
    It wasn't quite the disease free utopian paradise, that the organic lobby would have you believe!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The bailout was actually good for Ireland. There, I said it.
    Let's just say the country would let the banking sector collapse. No more money for the economy, borrowing for the state would have been difficult and expensive with a credit rating of "junk" and the country would have been far worse off than Greece, more like Venezuela.
    Maybe get out of the Euro, devalue like crazy, but the debt in Euro is still Euro, so crazy repayments in a worthless currency.
    Maybe just burn everyone and tell all debtors to eff off? Then Ireland is in NK territory.
    All the people screaming about being sold out are disenfranchised cranks with an axe to grind and the same goes for the anti water charge brigade.
    That would be the second thing.
    A proper water utility company where people pay for what they bloody use is an absolute no brainer. Anyone against that, you're into flat earther territory.

To summarize, a lot of cranks and malcontents have found a foothold with a lot of disenfranchised and gullible people who are providing an unpleasant background noise, but the majority of the people are thankfully wise enough to keep the right course. Usually referred to as "sheeple" by the above.
    So, thanks to these "sheeple", Ireland is doing well instead of being regarded with horror and pity by the likes of Greece who would say "we're fcuked, but at least we're not those poor bastards"

edit:
    So I guess the most controversial thing you can say in Ireland today is "stop whining! You're not doing too badly"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I've a really controversial opinion, but I know it would go down like a lead balloon, so I'm going to sit on it.

I've a really controversial opinion, but I know it would go down like a lead balloon, so I'm going to sit on it.

Post it damn it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If the chips in a chipper are bad, literally NOTHING else on the menu can make up for it no matter how good it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

I usually go in hospital 3 or 4 times a year. I'm in hospital right now
    Over the years I've noticed a steady decline of the health care assistant. Not to viewed as racist I've seen bad ones from all nations.
    To break it down
    Irish and people from The Philippines are generally good.
    People from India and surrounding counties are ok.
    People from Africa are usually terrible to the point you would wonder are the trained at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

smilerf wrote: »
    I usually go in hospital 3 or 4 times a year. I'm in hospital right now
    Over the years I've noticed a steady decline of the health care assistant. Not to viewed as racist I've seen bad ones from all nations.
    To break it down
    Irish and people from The Philippines are generally good.
    People from India and surrounding counties are ok.
    People from Africa are usually terrible to the point you would wonder are the trained at all

Irish hosiptals can't hire enough nurses and doctors.
    They don't have the money to pay the wages and most turn up their nose at the wage as they can make much more elsewhere.
    There's plenty of wards around the country closed due to staffing levels.

The homelessness crisis is a result of government policy to halt new development in order to get people out of negative equity.
    Unfortunately they did it too well, and no we're back to a housing bubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Africa is a lost cause economically and socially.
    All aid, charity, and donations should cease immediately.

Almost everyone I've ever heard talking about Princess Diana will inevitably say line "wasn't she so beautiful"
    At that point I'm thinking wtf she looked like a giraffe

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pithythefool

Africa is a lost cause economically and socially.
    All aid, charity, and donations should cease immediately.

Its a lost cause BECAUSE of the aid, charity and donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Rugby league is a far more entertaining sport than Rugby Union

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

Its a lost cause BECAUSE of the aid, charity and donations.

That Bothair charity is pretty ****ed up. Sending cattle into Africa for nothing, destroying the local trade economy in the process.

Africa needs an end to trade barriers. Not charity dumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

alcohol should be banned.

or if not banned, legal age should be 25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

smilerf wrote: »
    Almost everyone I've ever heard talking about Princess Diana will inevitably say line "wasn't she so beautiful"
    At that point I'm thinking wtf she looked like a giraffe

The whole Diana thing just baffles me, I always thought she was a vacuous parasite myself.
    And as for being one of the most beautiful women in the world - give me a break, she was just about do-able, that's it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Vans should not be allowed drive in the overtaking lane (at least the same limitations as trucks)

All unmarked commercial vehicles should be forced to have their company name displayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Cyclists should be banned from LUAS tracks.

Eddie Rockets. With all the name changes. It's must be three or 4 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Rugby league is a far more entertaining sport than Rugby Union

Yeah if you have the attention span of a 3 yr old. I find rugby league to be incredibly repetitive in its nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We were never really a neutral country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Cyclists should be banned from LUAS tracks.
    Well, in central Dublin, the LUAS tracks sometimes are the cycle paths, so it would be kind of difficult. I don't even cycle in central Dublin, but might reconsider if they banned all heavy vehicles including buses.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

I'd run down every cyclist over the age of 17 without remorse..... And reverse over them again....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Women can do some things better than men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Smokers with a deep hoarse smokers voice (from years of smoking) is incredibly manky. Seriously its not sexy or cool, its f**king disgusting / creepy. Smokers cough as well. I don't want to hear your manky bellowing cough all day.

I honestly think the work place should be fully separated into non smokers and smokers. That way they can all cough and splutter together in a sort of smelly smokers choir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Smokers with a deep hoarse smokers voice (from years of smoking) is incredibly manky. Seriously its not sexy or cool, its f**king disgusting / creepy. Smokers cough as well. I don't want to hear your manky bellowing cough all day.

I honestly think the work place should be fully separated into non smokers and smokers. That way they can all cough and splutter together in a sort of smelly smokers choir.

Young people who take up smoking now, well aware of the dangers and the writing and pictures all over the packs, have to be complete idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Rave.ef wrote: »
    I'd run down every cyclist over the age of 17 without remorse..... And reverse over them again....

72fa994cda317aba41ff1ae59b862127270a4c3235aaab86c02510de6d88fc62.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

Rave.ef wrote: »

72fa994cda317aba41ff1ae59b862127270a4c3235aaab86c02510de6d88fc62.jpg

No I tried to fit in a mini couldn't seem to squeeze into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

King Crisps taste nicer than Tayto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

King Crisps taste nicer than Tayto.

Well of course they do. Thread is for controversial statements btw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Bounty are a really nice bar. Coconut and chocolate is a beaut of a combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

srsly78 wrote: »
    Well of course they do. Thread is for controversial statements btw...

Cats are just as nice as dogs. Am I doing it right? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

RTE deserve an increase in the licence fee. The last one was ten years ago.

Advertisement