Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Say something controversial ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

The current obsession with gender politics is a road to hell. People are up in arms about changing laws left right and centre when this really applies to less than one perfect of the population.This is especially damaging to impressionable children and teenagers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

President Higgins should not get a free run for a second term. To me he is a pompous, pretentious know it all who hasn't a clue about ordinary lives.
    A sham of a man with no relationship to the people of current Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

It's ok to be white

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Humans should be phased out of existence to save the planet.

You still around or did you get the ball rolling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

Men and Women are not the same, there is a difference between us and that difference should be celebrated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

National stereotypes don't come from nowhere - they are generally a bit closer to the truth than a lot of people would like to admit. There are of course those who differ significantly from them, but that's the thing about generalisations, they tend to be quite general!

It's like the average industrial wage - just because Mr X earns half of it and Mr Y earns double, doesn't mean it's not the average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

branie2 wrote: »
    And burnt his body

:cool: Yeah now I think we are attributing too much good to him.

He wasn't a bad painter, but then again either was Rolf Harris, so it's debateable how good an indicator of decency an ability to paint is!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

National stereotypes don't come from nowhere - they are generally a bit closer to the truth than a lot of people would like to admit.

Yeah but you’re not allowed say anything or you’ll be called one of those ist words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Tech geeks get excited about each new development (we can now manipulate DNA this way, your smartphone can now do this etc.) but seem incapable of discussing the convergence of all this development or the point of it all.
    Spoiler: The convergence point is having us all moribund and hooked into an opium drip with eternal life whilst machines do everything else. Or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

There a line between controversial and ignorant nasty insensitivity. It’s behind you.

I have no doubt whatsoever that you have come down off your high horse momentarily over the last 24 hours to write a letter to Judge Pat McCartan, Charlie Flanagan and Leo Varadkar stating the same to them! No doubt at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bobby Sands was a ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

valoren wrote: »
    I came across this advert.
    https://www.myhome.ie/commercial/brochure/st-vincents-church-sundays-well-city-centre-nth-cork-city/3966068

This is a Church which over the past few years has been facing closure due to a lack of priests. It's a huge church.
    What struck me is that this is a property that is near the city centre. So while this vast building lies idle, with it's only purposes being mass said to a dedicated faithful and it's parking spaces leased out, what irked me was seeing the weather turn bad for this forthcoming winter. It makes me think of the many people in Cork City who are forced to sleep rough. If some private company can go charging people to park every month, I think the local government should have the power to seize the church itself. The council can outfit the interior to shelter the homeless. It's a complete waste of space otherwise.

So the catholic church which presumably owns the place complains? Tough. Be honest to the faith you have and help the poor as per that book you read from. Help out with those who need the most help.

So the mass goers complain that their parish church is redundant? Tough. Go to any of the litany of churches in the area, be thankful the less fortunate are taken care of per the faith that makes you go there in the first place.

Locals complain about undesirable people hanging around the area? Tough. Sell your house and fcku off somewhere else if you're too self absorbed to care about a growing local issue.

The government complain that nothing can be done, it's unlawful to seize property? https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/leo-varadkar-says-government-cannot-seize-church-lands-1.3009003
    Tough. When you in time became Taoiseach you can change the law. Do it.

So, prime property is actually put to use, the people who preach compassion are made to show compassion, the people who are looking for work get some by retrofitting large properties, and those who are most vulnerable are at a very minimum sheltered and given the dignity of a roof over their heads.

I find this desire for the government to seize private property, well from an institution that you don't seem to favour anyway, directly at odds with your belief that companies should not pay tax (as per your posting on other threads) if they think it might be wasted by government.

Is it only ok to seize stuff from the catholic church and not from say the likes of Apple ?

Ever wonder if some companies and some people paid their fair share of taxes that there might be more money available and better services for less well off people ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

Android updates are ****e. And some people nearly blow their load over them. Eejits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The earth is flat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

We are better off without immigration..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Feckoffcup wrote: »
    We are better off without immigration..

Screw that. I don't want tens of thousands of Irish people coming back and telling us how great it is everywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

jmayo wrote: »
    I find this desire for the government to seize private property, well from an institution that you don't seem to favour anyway, directly at odds with your belief that companies should not pay tax (as per your posting on other threads) if they think it might be wasted by government.

Is it only ok to seize stuff from the catholic church and not from say the likes of Apple ?

Ever wonder if some companies and some people paid their fair share of taxes that there might be more money available and better services for less well off people ?

That proposal should be seen as a temporary solution to a long term problem particularly during poor weather, it would provide shelter to homeless instead of being closed. But it seems like you can't say that unless you actually actively house some homeless people yourself.

A building allowed to go idle is a waste of space by an organisation, that as you correctly surmise I am no fan of, which would perhaps instead of having that resource go unused or whoring it out to commercial interests would practice what they actually preached and worked to use this particular facility which they to me they appear happy to commercialize with car park spaces to that end.

As for companies and individuals not paying their fair share of taxes, there are rules and regulations pertaining to those that would result in non compliance facing penalties and punishments legislated by governments. That they continually allow companies and individuals the ability to immorally avoid fair taxation (subjectively, whatever that is) is their failure. And in the other thread the companies pay their taxes according to the current system. That they have accrued immense amounts of cash (after paying tax) is simply a mathematical result. And for what it's worth corporations are not responsible for the welfare of private citizens. That's what we elect public representatives for. Who in turn are charged with increasing the tax take as much as possible which yes, can be used to enhance facilities and services but as seen the system currently in place prevents incentive's to these cash rich companies to that end.

Having a vagina doesn't instantly give you a right to an opinion

It does of course - it just generally doesn't lend that opinion any credence.
    Bruce Springsteen is an overrated one trick pony.

Watch your mouth crow - he's the boss.
    El mother fúcking jefe.
    We clear:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sh!teinabucket

After hours has gone to sh!te since I first started using boards 5 years ago.

Used to be funny irreverent good natured banter,not at all serious,there was other sections for that stuff.

Now though? Pretty much every single thread started descends into a serious debate somehow. Ain't the fun section it's supposed to be at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I have no doubt whatsoever that you have come down off your high horse momentarily over the last 24 hours to write a letter to Judge Pat McCartan, Charlie Flanagan and Leo Varadkar stating the same to them! No doubt at all.

Next time you want to make a smart arsed point, try not to sneer at the families of young people who died screaming while they tried to escape from an inferno - but who were prevented by locked and chained fire doors.

They also tried to get out through the barred windows in the bathrooms but the firemen could not cut through them in time. My cousin watched his girlfriend burn to death. (He was subsequently blinded).

Sorry for being all sanctimonious and on my high horse but maybe pick something else to joke about.

I hope they eventually get the justice they deserve.

Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene, and they had children

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Watch your mouth crow - he's the boss.
    El mother fúcking jefe.
    We clear:mad:

He’s not the boss of me, the hack of him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but water charges are gonna be brought back in through the back door at a future date,  the government plan on signing away our 9.4 exemption in the river basin plan [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] which will[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] now be submitted to the European Commission before the end of December which indicates our intention to charge for water.[/font]

Worse still there was no public awareness campaign by Right2Water via public meetings  or social media campaign to inform people about what was planned for our 9.4 exemption & the Implications of it being signed away, nor was there any national protests called by the Right2Water leadership to try pressure the government not to give away 9.4 exemption.
    To date Marian Harkin has being the only public rep on record, who has raised any awareness about the 9.4 exemption in relation to water charges ( Please see link below )

https://www.oceanfm.ie/2017/06/23/north-west-mep-says-government-has-the-key-to-preventing-future-water-charges/

Please ask yourselves why is Marian Harkin the only public rep on record who raised awareness about the 9.4 exemption ? Why didn,t any Tds who oppose water charges hold any public meetings or do anything to raise public awareness  about the 9.4 exemption ? In other words why were they so silent about it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Bobby Sands was a ****

He was just a terrorist that used to rub **** on the walls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Jesus: "My faith can move mountains".

Mohommad: "My faith can move skyscrapers".

Comhra wrote: »
    Jesus: "My faith can move mountains".

Mohommad: "My faith can move skyscrapers".

George Bush said the same thing

There are WMDs in the Middle East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

After hours has gone to sh!te since I first started using boards 5 years ago.

Used to be funny irreverent good natured banter,not at all serious,there was other sections for that stuff.

Now though? Pretty much every single thread started descends into a serious debate somehow. Ain't the fun section it's supposed to be at all.

When I started 10 odd years ago a lot of the threads that are now in After Hours, especially concerning current affairs, were in forums like Politics, but that forum has gone so far up it's own ass that posters were chased out and anything but the most highbrow political discussion was deem not worthy.
    Hell even the supposed half way house forum Politics Cafe, where non serious politicos were meant to post, was marshaled almost like the way that teacher up before the the disciplinary hearing managed her kids.

BTW 4 posts in 5 years, which year did you miss ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

National stereotypes don't come from nowhere - they are generally a bit closer to the truth than a lot of people would like to admit. There are of course those who differ significantly from them, but that's the thing about generalisations, they tend to be quite general!

It's like the average industrial wage - just because Mr X earns half of it and Mr Y earns double, doesn't mean it's not the average.

Irish people seen as drunkards...Irish life revolves around alcohol and the pub...vintners assoc. calling the shots politically (pardon pun)...we exported the Irish pub all over the world...A & E's with drunks at weekends...St Patrick's night like Armageddon in Dublin.

Seems reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Your ma's your oul one.

so is your ma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Your ma's your oul one.

so is your ma

Irish people seen as drunkards...Irish life revolves around alcohol and the pub...vintners assoc. calling the shots politically (pardon pun)...we exported the Irish pub all over the world...A & E's with drunks at weekends...St Patrick's night like Armageddon in Dublin.

Seems reasonable.

I love the user name. Adds a certain gravitas:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

This time last year, the day of the election results, was one of the funniest times in recent years. I laughed and laughed. Not a Donald fan as such, but the sheer overreacting, all the expected outcomes going up in the air, the tantrums... I had a few beers that night enjoying the meltdown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Joe brolly is nothng but a loud mouth provo scumbag lackey who manipulates the Gaa for every penny he can get

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Pull like a dog

Milk is bad for you

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

I'm not a fan of smug militant feminists who are only about women's rights since it became a hot topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Boards needs more mods with PMS

• Advertisement

People living in hotels for free aren't homeless and they are always in the news whinging when they have a roof over their heads.

They just want a "forever home"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

mynamejeff wrote: »
    Joe brolly is nothng but a loud mouth provo scumbag lackey who manipulates the Gaa for every penny he can get

They said controversial- that’s a universal truth!

They say a womans work is never done.

Maybe that's why they get paid less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

snowflaker wrote: »
    They said controversial- that’s a universal truth!

That's what I was going to say!!! Can't stand the feck.

By the balance of probabilities ...A person with a septum piercing is more likely to spout uninformed **** than someone without

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

I'm losing track of how many gender acronyms are in place now. Be gay, straight, bisexual, asexual, whatever. But, fcuk, there are so many labels out there right now it's getting ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Only women can become pregnant so there is no such thing as a pregnant person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

White British people are now a minority in London.
    Not really controversial. More a fact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

If you studied Irish all through primary school and all through secondary school and at the end of it cannot hold a conversation it’s not the educational systems fault, it’s your own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Foreign people are rude, Irish people are too polite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

mikemac2 wrote: »
    If you studied Irish all through primary school and all through secondary school and at the end of it cannot hold a conversation it’s not the educational systems fault, it’s your own

This is true. Irish people love to feign a love for the language but actively avoid learning or using it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement