Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

macOS High Sierra is out now!

• 26-09-2017 7:13pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭

You might need to download it from the featured page of the App Store as it's not showing up in Updates for me.

Anyone installed yet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Just came on to say that I have just completed the update. I too had to use the download from the App Store as the update wasn't working.

File system has changed over to APFS on a third-party SSD on a 13" mid-2012 MBP with no issues. Immediately the system seems faster. Interestingly APFS was not applied to my other SSD which I installed instead of the optical drive.

Cosmetically, everything seems exactly the same with no changes to icons that I can see (or perhaps the App Store icon is tweaked?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Weirdness!!!

Went to convert the other SSD (250GB) to APFS and all was going well until the last second when it said the conversion had failed. Went in to start a repair which didn't seem to be doing anything and my whole system hung (beach ball spinning and then even the beach ball stopped froze!). Forced restart (holding down the start button to shut down) and everything booted up fine. Just checked the other SSD again and Get Info says it is an APFS-formatted drive.

Odd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

How long did the upgrade take in total and of it how long was the APFS migration ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

How long did the upgrade take in total and of it how long was the APFS migration ?

Took forever for me (late 2013 iMac). About 2 hours in total.

Haven’t noticed any difference to be honest but I haven’t had much of a play with it. Aren’t most of the improvements in the background though?

Took forever for me (late 2013 iMac). About 2 hours in total.

Haven’t noticed any difference to be honest but I haven’t had much of a play with it. Aren’t most of the improvements in the background though?

Yeah, this is only supposed to a refinement release of Sierra. So not many big changes on the outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Haven’t noticed any difference to be honest

I like the new autumnal desktop image :)

40 odd minutes upgrade time for me - I was expecting it to do the usual 40 - 20 - 10 and then take 10 minutes, but it pretty much was right - I put that down to the reformatting.

mysqlworkbench doing funny things for me today but I haven't bothered investigating.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Got a mid 2011 iMac, perhaps not the best plan to upgrade?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Got a mid 2011 iMac, perhaps not the best plan to upgrade?

Upgraded my late 2011 MacBook Pro last night..went very smoothly, took about an hour in total. I had a third party SSD as well , so I was a bit worried something might go wrong, but so far all looks good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Installed it the other night (late 2015 iMac). Not sure how long it took as I went off to watch Star Trek Discovery.

I am having an issue whereby, if I launch Garmin Express, it completely knocks out my keyboard and mouse. A wave line appears up in the Bluetooth symbol. At first I thought it might have been the batteries in the keyboard and mouse, but the culprit definitely seems to be Garmin Express. Only option then is to hold the power button at the back and start over.

Have to sync my runs manually as my watch is old.

Other than that, things seem OK, though I've not explored it much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm on a late 2013 iMac. Not noticing any issues. iPhoto has improved at last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Safari on High Sierra is claimed to be the fastest browser on the market, also 2 extra hours of battery life compared to other browsers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Anybody else running bootcamp with High Sierra?

Because of the file system change, the boot back into MacOS option in Windows no longer works. You need to manually restart the machine and hold down the option key to get a boot menu. However... my mac is now always booting into windows by default. If I'm in macOS and I hit restart, it'll boot back into Windows. If I'm in macOS and I shut the computer down, it'll boot into Windows when I turn it back on. I rarely shut it down/restart it so it's not that bad at the moment. Still fairly irritating.

Edit: right, apparently the restart in macOS option was the bit that was setting the startup disk back to macOS. That also needs to be done manually now.

Advertisement