Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-flow demands 300 euro fine for 2 e-toll trips+ tourist scams

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I call bs, if you forget to pay by the deadline you have to wait for the letter and pay with penalties.

https://www.eflow.ie/help-guidance/faqs/penalties/im-not-sure-if-ive-missed/

Call BS all you want, what's the point though? I mean, why lie about something so trivial?

Anyway, calling eflow a few days later, after genuinely forgetting to pay, can turn out good for all parties. Happened me once a good while back and they were sound about it. No fines were posted yet.

Some companies tell you to NOT pay the toll as it's charged to your card. I forget which company that is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The hire firm I used in Portugal used a tag and I just called them to top up.
    I'm in India at the moment and even they have a manned toll.3rd world is an understatement. Bikes, motor bikes and tuc tucs are free !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 N2017

Hi guys, I agree with Charles here, car rental companies should have a tag on their cars and could of charged me to the credit card. My situation with e-flow has caused me so much stress and a financial loss of 150 euro as I had to pay e-flows solicitor at the end ( taking into consideration the fact that the rental company did have my credit card details, e-mail and phone number and i would not mind them charging the card for the toll in case when they had to do it on my behalf. )
    Lets just hope that if any reps from rental companies are reading this they will take it into account and do something about setting up fair and convenient system for their clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,114 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I just read through this thread and I must say I sympathise with the OP.

The change of address is the kernel of the problem.
    The rental company gave an address to the toll company but they had no way of knowing whether it was current.
    That's not a very firm foundation to build a case for charging him €300 on.
    I take the OP's word at face value that he simply overlooked paying the tolls and would have paid if notified before it escalated.

These systems are supposed to be consumer friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

In Florida at the moment and all rentals have a tag, no issues comes straight off your credit card used for the rental.

On top of that, I think 6 out of 10 rentals they've made some mistake on my address, i.e. a street in Germany with the Country as Ireland or the Netherlands (as I've lived there before)

I'm a bit shocked to be honest at the posters attitudes on this thread. Hope you never drive down a locals only street in Italy or enter an Umweltzone in Germany only to receive a fine and find out when you go to pay (in Germany at least) the only accept Maestro (German Maestro only)

Never mind speeding fines in Holland that may or may not occur depending upon what time of the day you passed the camera.

Was in Ireland a few days ago and went to pay my M50 toll only to find in the airport couldn't get onto the website at all. Only managed to get data around 20 hours later in the US, so past the deadline.

Its a bit or a crappy system to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I thi k people do notice the signs on the m50. Ive only driven it 4 times but paid each charge the same night.
    Problem with some people is they forget, genuinely or otherwise.
    The amount in fines is disproportionate but I guess that's the way they make their money.
    I've never driven on the continent so don't know if they have a better system.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

I agree that the 150 is a good deal based on the situation. It is an unfortunate one, however as previous posters have stated look at it from e-flows perspective. I have no doubt OP's version of events is true, however e-flows deals with such situations en mass rather than taking into account individuals circumstances.

Is it just me or is the fact that the car rental company passed on personal details of their customer (in this case address) to e-flow a bit hairy? Is e-flow a state company which is allowed to request and receive such data without the individual's consent? I imagine the car rental company may have a clause that outlines they are allowed to pass such data to selected companies?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

bigslick wrote: »

Is it just me or is the fact that the car rental company passed on personal details of their customer (in this case address) to e-flow a bit hairy? Is e-flow a state company which is allowed to request and receive such data without the individual's consent? I imagine the car rental company may have a clause that outlines they are allowed to pass such data to selected companies?

I would very much imagine this is covered in the rental terms and conditions, if the customer agrees its OK to pass on details then there's no issues.

A rental company could not properly operate without being able to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

<SNIP> Unverified comments removed.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Nic1990 - welcome to Boards. Please take note of the date of the last post in threads when replying. Bringing an old thread back to life may not be the best idea.

Closing this thread. If anyone disagrees and would like it reopened, please contact me or L1011

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement