Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inheriting a rifle

Options
  • 26-09-2017 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi.so my dad(a long time hunter)has not been well and is losing his sight.he suggest i go and apply for a gun licence and he will give me his gun(a pretty highpower rifle he used for deer.)i havent had a gun or licence prior to this and am wondering is there much too it?i would have shot his gun a good bit when out with shooting with him tho.
    Id be a quiet sort.never had any trouble with the law or anything.have a bit of a farm so gun would be handy for foxes etc.would also like to apply for deer permit down the line.whats peoples opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭RS98

What caliber is his rifle?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

RS98 wrote:
    What caliber is his rifle?

Im not sure to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭RossiFan08

The license side of things is fairly handy, just put down that you are buying it from your father, you don't need to prove anything regarding receipts or anything just tick the box on the license form.

Depending on the calibre of the rifle you maybe need to get a deer license or join a range to have a good reason for the gun. So a 223 will be fine but a 22-250 or 243 or anything large you'll need the deer license or range membership

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Your application for a gun licence will be exactly the same as if your buying any other firearm - so there is a sticky on the first page about firearms application.
    I've done this with my late father's rifle without any hitches.

So it will be the usual - details of the firearm, source (Your father), written land permission or proof of own land, two referees, doctors details, no previous run ins with the law, passport photos. A electronic copy of Firearms Application form can be downloaded from Garde.ie You may or may not need to do a firearms safety course depends on the Guards.

As for deer, if your father was stalking on private permission then he should be able to grease the wheels for you, that is if your own land doesn't hold deer or is under the 100 acre rule now observed by the NPWS. With the above apply through the NPWS for a deer hunting licence (forms on line).

Depending on calibre and how accomadating the Gaurds are you may get a centre fire rifle with out a deer licence but usually any thing from .22-250 calibre and up requires a deer hunting licence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Apply for a joint license as long as your Father is still licensed. I've found joint licenses can be viewed in a better light than a brand new application especially for first timers.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Cass wrote:
    Apply for a joint license as long as your Father is still licensed. I've found joint licenses can be viewed in a better light than a brand new application especially for first timers.

Didnt know such a thing existed.ill look into that.thanks for all the replies from everyone

So it will be the usual - details of the firearm, source (Your father), written land permission or proof of own land, two referees, doctors details, no previous run ins with the law, passport photos. A electronic copy of Firearms Application form can be downloaded from Garde.ie You may or may not need to do a firearms safety course depends on the Guards.

A referee would be who exactly?

Inchilad wrote: »
    Didnt know such a thing existed.ill look into that.thanks for all the replies from everyone
    In section 4.1 of the FCA! application form there is a place to add your Father's certificate number if you wish to have it as a joint application.
    Inchilad wrote: »
    A referee would be who exactly?
    Anyone who can vouch for your character as long as they are not a member of An Gardaí.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

If it helps here is a guide to filling in the FCA1:
    • Section 1 - Tick Firearm Certificate and in the box below tick "I have not held a certificate for this firearm in the previous three years".
    • Section 2.1 - Fill in all the personal information stuff. Everything.
    • Section 2.2 - Give name, address and phone number for your GP, and any other doctor you might be visiting.
    • Section 2.3 - You need two people to vouch for you. Supply their name, address and details in this section.
    • Section 2.4 - Tick the boxes as appropriate.
    • Section 2.5 - Supply details of your competence, or if you've done the course just write "Copy of cert attached". Then attach a copy.
    • Section 3.1 - Fill in the details of the gun you've bought here. All the info will be on the docket the dealer gives you.
    • Section 3.3 - Write in the dealer PULSE ID. It'll be a 4 digit number that the dealer uses. Then his name.
    • Section 3.5 - Tick "YES", and then "NO". Make sure you have at least a trigger lock bought for the gun. This is the minimu security needed.
    • Section 4.1 - Tick English, and below that write in the amount of rounds you want. I'd apply for betwee 250 - 500 rounds.
    • Section 4.2 - Tick Hunting. No need for target shooting and you might be required to show membership if you do. You can tick it if you want, it's your choice. Also fill in the details for your Father's certificate.
    • Section 5.1 - Tick yes (no need for licenses as your firearms license covers you and you're not shooting deer, only pheasant)
    • Sign it, and date it.

You will need to supply extra information for some sections. You want to be as detailed as possible, but without writing a novel. On a separate piece of paper, labelled "Additional Information" fill in the following:
    • Section 2.1 - Previous Address: I have lived as 3 addresses my entire life. One was before i was old enough to own a firearm so i disregard this and supply my last address and this one. If you move around a lot then provide the last two.
    • Section 2.5 - Proof of Competence: Please see attached competence certificate (then give in a copy of the cert)
    • Section 3.2 - Suppressor: I am seeking authorisation for a sound suppressor for the following reasons
      • To aid sound reduction of the firearm when used around livestock and bloodstock.
      • To aid sound reduction so as to not alarm people in the vicinity.
      • Unsafe practice of wearing suitable hearing protection while stalking / hunting
      • Protection of personal hearing
      • Improved accuracy therefore aiding with the humane dispatch of prey due to reduced recoil etc
      • Ideal for vermin control.
    • Section 3.5 - Secure Storage: List the security measures as your Father has done as i assume the rifle will stay stored in his house for the time being.
    • Section 4.1 - Amount of Ammo: I am requesting 500 (example) rounds of ammunition for the following reasons:
      • Empty (fired) casings are treated the same as live rounds as per the Firearms Act, 1925 where it states that "ammunition for a firearm is any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition", with component part being the bullet, the casing, the propellant or the primer. So my license must allow me to have a high enough limit to have both live and fired rounds in my possession.
      • I regularly take part in target competitions and actively attend target ranges for practice. As a result of this I can go through a large quantity of rounds in a short period of time.
      • Buying bulk rounds of ammunition to reduce trips to dealer and for cost implications.
      • Distance to dealer being excessive & inconvenient.
    • Section 4.2 - Reason for Gun: The firearm will be used for hunting of wild animals/birds during the open seasons in accordance with the 1976 Wildlife Act, and the control/culling of vermin. Supply a copy of any licenses necessary (deer, etc)

Ignore sections:

For your first licenses you need to be as complete as possible, but for any additional licenses over the years you'll find some of the above does not need to be filled in.

Thats as definitive as i could ask for!thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement