Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saudi Arabia to allow women to drive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Got this notification from sky news and looked at it for a while because I did not know women weren't allowed to drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

They will actually get praise for this which is sad. It should never have happened in first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The countries newest insurance company - Sharias Wheels to offer all inclusive at 50% discount to the first 500 lady drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Do women need to be chaperoned by a male family member when they go out in Saudi Arabia? Just wondering if being able to drive will provide any more independence if your husband/son/brother/whoever has to be with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Do women need to be chaperoned by a male family member when they go out in Saudi Arabia? Just wondering if being able to drive will provide any more independence if your husband/son/brother/whoever has to be with you.

They do, can't be alone or with a man not connected to them by marriage or some backward **** like that.
    Bet you there will be so many strings attached to those licences that it will be like they hadn't licences anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Slippery slope..........

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

A terrible and shocking move. Appalling development. Liberal do-gooders yet again. What's the world coming to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭Allinall

It's ok.

There's nothing about parking in the new law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Considering some of the horrific Saudi driving vids on YouTube I'd be amazed if this doesn't make the roads safer over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Jaysis, they will be giving up terror financing next. Huh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've a Saudi tenant in at the moment (female)

I was advised there would be 2 people renting the unit (no problem, 2 bedroom unit)

It wasn't until they arrived and I sussed out the craic... the sister (31!) is studying here for the year, and the brother is chaperoning her for the year!

F00king nuts altogether, but I guess it means I don't have to worry about her bringing back lads :pac:

And christ, they're model tenants.... don't even cook in the place, and while they have the heat on loads, they keep the place vented and spotlessly clean. Just hope the place doesn't end up on RTE News (LOL JK ROFL OMG, place is worth more blown up :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

What's next? Letting them vote? Full equal rights?

Madness. Madness I say*

I'm being sarcastic before someone jumps down my throat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Now now, I heard the Saudi men at the UN council say it's their culture. They assured every one that the women agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

What's next? Letting them vote? Full equal rights?

Madness. Madness I say*

I'm being sarcastic before someone jumps down my throat

Woah....

One step at a time!!

beat me to it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

They will actually get praise for this which is sad. It should never have happened in first place

To be fair they got a hardcore level of stupidity that will take em time to wear down and cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Any truth to the rumour that the windscreens will be completely blacked out with just a little rectangle to see through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Infini wrote: »
    To be fair they got a hardcore level of stupidity that will take em time to wear down and cop on.

The current king wants to bring in reforms, but he will face a lot of pushback from the religious loons, something I’m sure we can all relate to.

Baby steps and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I trust they'll teach them how to park/reverse properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    The countries newest insurance company - Sharias Wheels to offer all inclusive at 50% discount to the first 500 lady drivers.

Allah-ianz. :cool:

frag420 wrote: »
    Any truth to the rumour that the windscreens will be completely blacked out with just a little rectangle to see through?
    Just wait until the first woman driver crashes because her vision is impaired by a burqa, they'll be banning it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

What next? women being considered equal to men?
    Sickening that it was like that for so long, but happy for the women of saudi arabia none the less. A close saudi friend of mine is ecstatic about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Allah-ianz. :cool:

AIG-had :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So they will all be like learner drivers with a male companion even when they pass the Saudi driving test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Danny Healy Rea calls for Saudi Women to be allowed to drink and drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

So the constant pressure from third wave feminists worldwide paid off then.

No wait, I was thinking of manspreading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭SeanW

Aviva Ackbar?
    Its4Wahabbis?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

AA (alahu ackbar) insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

It's political correctness gone mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There was a story only yesterday about how the Saudi government were facing a backlash for allowing women to attend the national day celebrations. I don't think this news will be received well

• Advertisement

123boom.sa

I'll get my coat

One of the great imponderable questions of global politics is whether Saudi Arabia, India, Pakistan or Afghanistan are the most ineffably backward holes on the entire planet earth.

It really is such a difficult question to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

One of the great imponderable questions of global politics is whether Saudi Arabia, India, Pakistan or Afghanistan are the most ineffably backward holes on the entire planet earth.

It really is such a difficult question to answer.

Been to all 4 and if honest its a different ball game in these places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Just wait until the first woman driver crashes because her vision is impaired by a burqa, they'll be banning it again.

I'm thinking there could be problem getting the picture taken for the licence if a burka is being worn.

Been to all 4 and if honest its a different ball game in these places.

They seem to be equally benighted in how they treat women.

Has anyone made a clutch joke yet?

Clutching at straws?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Rick Shaw wrote: »

Royal Sunni Alliance
    https://www.rsagroup.ie/

I'll get me coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,872 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

PMTPA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Will they get two stonings on their licence fir speeding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Didn't they change the law a few years ago to allow women stay in hotels without the male chaperone?
    The women just only had to register with the local police station that they were staying at a hotel in their jurisdiction without a chaperone.

The Saudi's, not a bad bunch of lads in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

bear1 wrote: »
    Well fook me they've joined the early 20th century at last

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/26/saudi-arabia-allow-women-drive/

Amazing to read this in 2017.

Edit title should read allow women to drive.

What's the point? I mean the main benefit of allowing women to drive is that they can drive the man to and from the pub, but they don't have pubs there do they?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Didn't they change the law a few years ago to allow women stay in hotels without the male chaperone?
    The women just only had to register with the local police station that they were staying at a hotel in their jurisdiction without a chaperone.

The Saudi's, not a bad bunch of lads in fairness.
    Shure isn't same sex sex marriage and 24 hour opening for pubs just around the corner?
    Aren't those cuddly sheiks a great bunch of lads!
    there must be a zillion dollar arms deal going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,872 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

but they don't have pubs there do they?:confused:

Of course they have pubes, it's just that nobody is allowed see them.

Oh sorry!
    You said pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭donaghs

Saudi Arabia has many other larger problems, than women and car - that's just a symptom of the larger issues. Like sentencing people to death for being (accused of being) Atheists.

Or the stuff they teach children in their schools about non-Muslims: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/saudi/etc/textbooks.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

donaghs wrote: »
    Saudi Arabia has many other larger problems, than women and car - that's just a symptom of the larger issues. Like sentencing people to death for being (accused of being) Atheists.

Or the stuff they teach children in their schools about non-Muslims: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/saudi/etc/textbooks.html

But but but but

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabia-un-womens-right-commission-un-watch-middle-east-muslim-driving-clothes-a7698536.html

You have big wallet you can do what the feck you like, the rest of you peasants can just suck it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

*slow clap*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

3099-7-Steps-needed-to-allow-women-to-drive-cars-in-Saudi-Arabia-300x171.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The sensible heads in Saudi know the game is up as oil runs out and the change over to different sorts of power so there are small attempts to modernise but they are always up against the radicals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Saudi ladies whizzing around and voters in Spain stopped by police.

May you live interesting times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Won't somebody think of the chauffeurs?

800,000 of them to be out of a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

They do, can't be alone or with a man not connected to them by marriage or some backward **** like that.
    Nope, they do not need a chaperone when they go out nor will they once they start driving. Saudi has more female graduates than males, presently the women need to hire drivers to take them to and from work, so this will allow them to actually keep more of their salaries rather than paying drivers, however as "osarusan" pointed out, this change will lead to many foreigners losing their jobs.
    As for the girl studying in Dublin, the government is actually paying for her brother to be there and its quite a substantial payment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement