Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you change your insurance policy before it expires?

Options
  • 26-09-2017 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭

As above and does it affect your ncb?

Comments

I did this,
    liberty renewal was a grand.
    new policy was 550 (with liberty also?????) just scheduled it to start the day the other ended.
    I think you can do it a month in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

DJ98 wrote: »
    As above and does it affect your ncb?

You can cancel your existing policy and set up a new one. Your no claims bonus will be whatever it was at the start of that policy year (ie if you renewal was Nov 2016 at you had a 3 year ncb, if you cancel now instead of waiting until this November then you still only have 3 years).

There may be early cancellation fees. Most (but not all) companies have early cancellation fees in the first year but after that they will probably do pro rata. You can call and ask for a quote for cancelling without actually going ahead with it.

I find the trickiest part is actually co-ordinatig the cancellation and setting up the new policy. You need to return the cert and disc to cancel so you don't always know how long that will take unless you can call into an office

Advertisement