Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspension seatpost

Options
  • 26-09-2017 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

I'm looking at getting a Thudbuster ST seat post to help smooth out my commute. Has anyone used one? And could anyone maybe recommend something different? I chose this one purely based on the good reviews.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have a CG-R seatpost on my Roubaix and find it takes a lot of bumps and buzz before it gets to me without sacrificing power, only comes in 27.2 though

https://www.cyclestore.ie/specialized_cgr_carbon_seatpost_2017-ID_71537?c=EUR&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvfzXl-DE1gIVQ7ftCh09MwuiEAYYASABEgK-tvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I need a 31.6 post.

Larger tyres? if they fit

Borderfox wrote: »
    Larger tyres? if they fit

I'm currently running 700 x 38c Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Can't get anything bigger. :(

What pressure are you running them at, I have 28's on at 80 psi and they are very comfortable so 38's might go down as low as 40 psi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

Gwildor wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I need a 31.6 post.

You can get a seatpost shim that will allow you to fit a smaller diameter post into the seat tube.

Also consider a Canyon VLCS seatpost - much lighter and has some good reviews online.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm currently running 700 x 38c Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Can't get anything bigger. :(
    Those have terrible ride quality. The sidewall protection is excessive. There are some other Marathons with the same level of tread protection but more compliant sidewalls.

Borderfox wrote: »
    What pressure are you running them at, I have 28's on at 80 psi and they are very comfortable so 38's might go down as low as 40 psi

I’m running them at 60psi at the moment. I was running them at 50psi, but because I’m a little heavy, they almost look flat when riding.

mp31 wrote: »
    You can get a seatpost shim that will allow you to fit a smaller diameter post into the seat tube.

Also consider a Canyon VLCS seatpost - much lighter and has some good reviews online.

Thanks, I’ll look into both of those options. :)

Lumen wrote: »
    Those have terrible ride quality. The sidewall protection is excessive. There are some other Marathons with the same level of tread protection but more compliant sidewalls.

Really? I’ve honestly found these tyres very good. Though my experience with other tyres is limited.

• Advertisement

Really? I’ve honestly found these tyres very good. Though my experience with other tyres is limited.
    The fact that you're adding suspension to 38mm tyres for road use suggests your tyres are a problem, or you have the world's most sensitive perinueum :pac:

Lumen wrote: »
    The fact that you're adding suspension to 38mm tyres for road use suggests your tyres are a problem, or you have the world's most sensitive perinueum :pac:

Ha! While my posterior is a little sensitive, my commute consists of poorly maintained country roads and a Greenway. So not the smoothest of rides! My commute is about 32miles a day, so every bit of comfort helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme or Vittoria Voyager Hyper. I've ridden the Vittorias for around 3 years now, off road, on greenways and worse and on Irish country roads. Really nice tyre at around 45-50psi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Ha! While my posterior is a little sensitive, my commute consists of poorly maintained country roads and a Greenway. So not the smoothest of rides! My commute is about 32miles a day, so every bit of comfort helps. :)

Doesn't sound like a route that requires marathon plus tyres; while schwalbe ones might be risky Durano wouldn't be the worst compromise.

I've ridden a lot on really poor roads with race tyres without issue.

Supple sidewalls and lower pressure should sort you.

Is your ebike limited?

Ah, an e-bike. Maybe worth disclosing up front as it changes things a bit.

e-bikes without suspension have a lot of unsprung mass which messes with the ride quality.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Is your ebike limited?

The motor cuts off at just over 26kph

The roads I travel wouldn’t be as rough as the pic in your post, they’re just your average country back roads. The Waterford Greenway is pretty smooth, but can get a little bumpy the closer you get to the city.

Advertisement