Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Termination notice to Substantially Refurbish

Options
  • 26-09-2017 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi

I got a notice today from Letting agent that our tenancy will be terminated as Landlord want to substantially refurbish the Apt.

I moved into the Apartment just 2 years ago which was totally refurbished at that time. This Apartment still looks brand new, no need to even repaint or change anything. But the agent sent a notice for refurbish again now to vacate us and so he increase the rent.

Currently I am paying €1200, got a rent review notice recently for €1260 from Oct 1st. Others were paying €1500 in same apts.

It looks to me agent wants to use this loophole to vacate us to increase the rent.

Anyone please suggest me what we should do.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rangav

This below are the works landlord wants to carry. ( None of them is needed as the Apt was refurnbished just 2 years ago and looks very new still).

The following works will be carried out:
    • Upgrades to the kitchen including new countertops, splash back, extractor fan, extractor unit and kitchen cabinetry
    • Install new kitchen appliances: new hob, oven and microwave.
    • Full paint of the apartment — all walls, ceilings, doors, door frames & skirting boards
    • Replacing flooring — carpet to bedrooms and laminate flooring to hail and living room
    • Clearing the apartment of all existing furniture and flooring
    • Replacing all furniture items
    • Replacing all window coverings
    • Replacing tiling in both the bathroom and en suite
    • Upgrade the extractor fan system in both bathrooms
    • Install new shower unit in en suite and in main bathroom
    The renovation works involves the removal of sanitary ware in the bathroom, which will require the water supply to be shut off.
    Planning permission is not required for these renovations.
    The contractor engaged to carry out these renovation works is ****.
    The duration of the works will take approximately 5-6 weeks.
    The works will commence within 5 working days of tenant vacate.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Welcome to the world of rent caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I assume you're in an RPZ?

If the market rate is only €240/mo extra than what you're paying, those "upgrades" will take quite some time to pay off.

Maybe the landlord will back off if met with sufficient resistance.

Take some high quality photos of the current condition of the property, then seek advice.

Anecdotal: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104785201&postcount=33

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

__..__ wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of rent caps.

Without the rent caps the op would be paying €1500 or moving to somewhere cheaper.

With the rent caps and a landlord trying to circumvent them the tenant has to move out temporarily and then pay €1500 or move somewhere cheaper.

While the inconvenience of moving out temporarily is not insignificant, the tenants long term position is pretty much identical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

rangav wrote: »
    This below are the works landlord wants to carry. ( None of them is needed as the Apt was refurnbished just 2 years ago and looks very new still).

The following works will be carried out:
    • Upgrades to the kitchen including new countertops, splash back, extractor fan, extractor unit and kitchen cabinetry
    • Install new kitchen appliances: new hob, oven and microwave.
    • Full paint of the apartment — all walls, ceilings, doors, door frames & skirting boards
    • Replacing flooring — carpet to bedrooms and laminate flooring to hail and living room
    • Clearing the apartment of all existing furniture and flooring
    • Replacing all furniture items
    • Replacing all window coverings
    • Replacing tiling in both the bathroom and en suite
    • Upgrade the extractor fan system in both bathrooms
    • Install new shower unit in en suite and in main bathroom
    The renovation works involves the removal of sanitary ware in the bathroom, which will require the water supply to be shut off.
    Planning permission is not required for these renovations.
    The contractor engaged to carry out these renovation works is ****.
    The duration of the works will take approximately 5-6 weeks.
    The works will commence within 5 working days of tenant vacate.

To be fair, in the case of an apartment it is hard to argue that the refurbishment could not be more substantial, so it the work is carried out then it's a legitimate termination and rent increase. The LL has to give you first option to re occupy so you can easily check if the work has been done.

From the LL's viewpoint, it really isn't up to the tenant to decide if refurbishmemt is needed, that decision rests solely with the property owner. The notice seems correct so, best to start looking for new digs.

• Advertisement

Without the rent caps the op would be paying €1500 or moving to somewhere cheaper.

With the rent caps and a landlord trying to circumvent them the tenant has to move out temporarily and then pay €1500 or move somewhere cheaper.

While the inconvenience of moving out temporarily is not insignificant, the tenants long term position is pretty much identical.

Sounds like the apartment might be taking a jump in quality. High end apartment will command a higher price than the average.
    Possibly even the LL might be going for corporate let's instead.

davo10 wrote: »
    To be fair, in the case of an apartment it is hard to argue that the refurbishment could not be more substantial, so it the work is carried out then it's a legitimate termination and rent increase. The LL has to give you first option to re occupy so you can easily check if the work has been done.
    The law makes no reference to refurbishment, it refers to a substantial change in the nature of the accommodation.

The argument that the property is small and therefore there's no much you can do to it does not support the idea of a "substantial change in nature", quite the opposite.

Obvs we have only one side of this story. Maybe the apartment is currently total crap and the refurb will involve gold wallpaper and wall-to-wall Roche Bobois. :D

Lumen wrote: »
    The law makes no reference to refurbishment, it refers to a substantial change in the nature of the accommodation.

The argument that the property is small and therefore there's no much you can do to it does not support the idea of a "substantial change in nature", quite the opposite.

Obvs we have only one side of this story. Maybe the apartment is currently total crap and the refurb will involve gold wallpaper and wall-to-wall Roche Bobois. :D

If he's going for high end or moving to corporate or short term let's that a substantial change to the nature of the property.

You are confusing the RPZ wording with the reason for termination wording.

Refurbishment is very much a reason for termination.

• Advertisement

You are confusing the RPZ wording with the reason for termination wording.

Refurbishment is very much a reason for termination.
    Ah, thanks.

But when a property in an RPZ is re-offered after refurbishment, presumably the criteria for increasing the rent to market rate is governed by "substantial change in nature"?

Ah, thanks.

But when a property in an RPZ is re-offered after refurbishment, presumably the criteria for increasing the rent to market rate is governed by "substantial change in nature"?

Yes but as "substantial change" is not defined I would be increasing rent based on the refurbishment if I were the LL.

I just talked to RTB, they said LL can issue termination for substantial change of Prop.

But if I dont think what they are doing is substantial then i can file a dispute with RTB. and there is no proper definition of Substantial Change in RTB.

After doing all the research i think introducing RPZ is not that useful at all, when LL's have this loophope - "Substantial Refurbish" to terminate tenancy and increase the rents.

Anyone filed a dispute with RTB regarding this?

I just talked to RTB, they said LL can issue termination for substantial change of Prop.

But if I dont think what they are doing is substantial then i can file a dispute with RTB. and there is no proper definition of Substantial Change in RTB.

After doing all the research i think introducing RPZ is not that useful at all, when LL's have this loophope - "Substantial Refurbish" to terminate tenancy and increase the rents.

Anyone filed a dispute with RTB regarding this?

I would focus more on the "change" aspect in your submission. What they're doing is substantial but if the apartment is in good condition and was freshly refurbished when you moved in, it doesn't constitute a (substantial) change.

According this website
    http://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/private-rented-housing/minister-eoghan-murphys-address-publication-rtb-q2-2017-rent-index-report-and-further-rental-sector-measures

Substantial refurbishment: should involve major renovation works, such as rewiring, extensions, increasing the number of bedrooms or substantially reducing energy usage through insulation or new windows and doors, which clearly improve the quality of the accommodation being offered, to the extent that would merit an increased rent. It’s not envisaged that this would include merely cosmetic improvement works like re-painting of a property or new carpets/flooring.

Based on the above definition what they are doing is not substantial at all.

According this website
    http://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/private-rented-housing/minister-eoghan-murphys-address-publication-rtb-q2-2017-rent-index-report-and-further-rental-sector-measures

Substantial refurbishment: should involve major renovation works, such as rewiring, extensions, increasing the number of bedrooms or substantially reducing energy usage through insulation or new windows and doors, which clearly improve the quality of the accommodation being offered, to the extent that would merit an increased rent. It’s not envisaged that this would include merely cosmetic improvement works like re-painting of a property or new carpets/flooring.

I don't think you would find anyone who wouldn't consider that list substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not sure if the definition of "substantial" is relevant here.

The notice states that the water supply will be shut off and the kitchen completely gutted. Therefore the works require that the property is vacated while they're ongoing. That's really the measure of whether the termination is valid - whether the works being carried out require the property to be indefinitely vacant.

According this website

It's an apartment, there is only so much renovation you can do to an apartment and by the looks of the list, he is doing every bit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It's an apartment, there is only so much renovation you can do to an apartment and by the looks of the list, he is doing every bit of it.
    The corollary of that is that if there is only so much renovation you can do to an apartment then you cannot at the same time have "a substantial change in the nature of the accommodation provided under the tenancy"

While the level of refurbishment would be sufficient to support aht termination notice the current tennant would have first refusal on re-occupying the apartment after the refurbishment.

I wouldn't think replacing two year old fittings with new ones and redecorating would constitute "a substantial change in the nature of the accommodation provided under the tenancy" that would support a rent increase above the RPZ limits.

I don't see how the LL expects a return on the cost of the renovations.

The corollary of that is that if there is only so much renovation you can do to an apartment then you cannot at the same time have "a substantial change in the nature of the accommodation provided under the tenancy"

While the level of refurbishment would be sufficient to support aht termination notice the current tennant would have first refusal on re-occupying the apartment after the refurbishment.

I wouldn't think replacing two year old fittings with new ones and redecorating would constitute "a substantial change in the nature of the accommodation provided under the tenancy" that would support a rent increase above the RPZ limits.

May be is doing it to bust the cap so that he can get a sale price not effected by a rent capped below market.
    There are lots of legit reasons he could be doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think you have valid grounds to take a dispute to the RTB. Open a case, inform the landlord you have done so and start having a look for alternative accomodation in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

__..__ wrote: »
    May be is doing it to bust the cap so that he can get a sale price not effected by a rent capped below market.
    There are lots of legit reasons he could be doing it.

I don't see how he will work around the RPZ cap by doing that as it would be difficult to argue that replacing two year old appliances and fittings and redecorating constitutes "a substantial change in the nature of the accommodation provided under the tenancy".

As far as I can see, the LL will be down two months rent, the cost of renovations, the cost of readvertising and will still be limited by the Residential Tenancy Act and RPZ rules to the existing rent of 1260.

Is there a clause in the Act specifically prohibiting apartment owners from terminating when doing substantial renovations/refurbishment? I can't find it, you might be able to point it out please.

If there isn't, then is there any more "substantial" refurbishment that can be done to an apartment than outlined in the list?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think you have valid grounds to take a dispute to the RTB. Open a case, inform the landlord you have done so and start having a look for alternative accomodation in the meantime.

Which grounds? The list is pretty comprehensive/substantial, it's an apartment and as above, I'm not aware that apartment owners are exempted, the water is being turned off, there will be no bathroom nor kitchen facilities, the notice would seem to comply with the RTB template, the notice period is right, so which "grounds" do you see?

That it doesn't substantially improve the quality of the accommodation being offered.
    In a run down dwelling it would count but if the dwelling is in good nick then I think there are grounds to dispute.

Which grounds? The list is pretty comprehensive/substantial, it's an apartment and as above, I'm not aware that apartment owners are exempted, the water is being turned off, there will be no bathroom nor kitchen facilities, the notice would seem to comply with the RTB template, the notice period is right, so which "grounds" do you see?

"Substantial refurbishment: should involve major renovation works, such as rewiring, extensions, increasing the number of bedrooms or substantially reducing energy usage through insulation or new windows and doors, which clearly improve the quality of the accommodation being offered, to the extent that would merit an increased rent. It’s not envisaged that this would include merely cosmetic improvement works like re-painting of a property or new carpets/flooring."

It's not clear, in an apartment that has been substantially refurbished two years ago, that the proposed works clearly improve the quality of the accomodation being offered. Repainting and replacement of flooring are specifically noted as not being included above and they make up the substantial part of the proposed improvements.

So I'd dispute it personally and roll the dice.

That it doesn't substantially improve the quality of the accommodation being offered.
    In a run down dwelling it would count but if the dwelling is in good nick then I think there are grounds to dispute.

If the op can't live there during the works then that in itself confirms that its substantial. There could be weeks without kitchen and bathroom facilities, particularly now where builders are up the walls with work and everything takes longer due to juggling multiple jobs etc.

Another question the op needs to ask himself is would be be better off moving now or in 2 years time? As you can bet every cent in your bank a/c that his tenancy will be terminated at the end of the 4 year part4 if he does manage to get around this notice of termination.

If the op can't live there during the works then that in itself confirms that its substantial. There could be weeks without kitchen and bathroom facilities, particularly now where builders are up the walls with work and everything takes longer due to juggling multiple jobs etc.

Let the RTB judge that. While the dispute is open and waiting to be heard the works cannot commence. The tenant might win the dispute and get to stay in the apartment under current terms; and they might also find suitable alternative accomodation in the meantime. As there's no cost to opening the RTB dispute, that is clearly the best way to proceed. Leave all your options open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Just offer the LL the rate the other apartments are getting and save a load of hassle

• Advertisement

I don't see how he will work around the RPZ cap by doing that as it would be difficult to argue that replacing two year old appliances and fittings and redecorating constitutes "a substantial change in the nature of the accommodation provided under the tenancy".

As far as I can see, the LL will be down two months rent, the cost of renovations, the cost of readvertising and will still be limited by the Residential Tenancy Act and RPZ rules to the existing rent of 1260.

But he only has to argue that he is doing substantial ronovations, which he clearly is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement