Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned car

• 26-09-2017 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I am looking for a bit of advice. On Sunday evening a car was left parked outside my house. It's badly parked up on footpath and causing a general nuisance. At the time my own car was in the garage for repairs so the space was vacant. Where I live is very narrow and generally only the residents park outside each others houses.
    I called the gardai who came out very promptly and issued a parking ticket. However the car is still there and the ticket still on the window. As a consequence I have to park my car directly behind this one which is causing an obstruction to my neighbours as it is very difficult for them to get past.
    The corpo have also been notified.
    Could anybody please advise me on what I can do to get this issue resolved? We are heading away for a few days tomorrow evening and I really do not want to leave my car in such a vulnerable position and end up being in trouble.
    Any advice gratefully appreciated.
    This is urgent :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

endacl wrote: »
    Take the number plates off. Call the council and tell them there’s an abandoned car at your address. They’ll take care of it.

Could take a while. Would have to place notices on the car and in the papers notifying owner of their intention to lift same to a compound.

Mod Edit. No advocating criminal activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Leonita

Torching would be out of the question even though would love to but I have no intention of damaging my own property in the process. More helpful comments please.....
    The council know about it already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Donal55 wrote: »
    Could take a while. Would have to place notices on the car and in the papers notifying owner of their intention to lift same to a compound.

OP would probably be better getting someone to 'torch' it.
    Would negate the need of notifying the owner!

If it's poorly parked there is no need to place any notice there. Contact the gardai again - depending on the location they are normally quite proactive and do lift cars if they're abandoned.

Ring the gardai and tell them there is an abandoned car there and its been there for a while. Don't touch the number plates.

If I ring them again I'm terrified that they could perceive me as a timewaster. They came out and put a ticket on it surely they will just tell me that they can't do anything else. I've heard stories like this. They have done their job already no?

Is there tax/NCT/Insurance on it? Your not wasting their time. There's an abandoned vehicle causing issue for you.
    Just say look I appreciate ye're busy but it appears to be abandoned as its been there for two days now. There has been a crackdown on abandoned cars this year - garda twitter account has several examples of this where they are taking cars causing an obstruction.

• Advertisement

Yes unfortunately everything is up to date. 2 days surely wouldn't make it abandoned? Even with garda ticket on window screen?

He's not blocking any entrances or anything just causing an issue for me and my car. The guard that booked the ticket said that. He took photos of the car and gave it a ticket and said he had no reason to have it towed

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

I had a similar issue a while back with a car parked in my drive way. As it happened it was just a mistaken address by the owner but the Gardai were able to ring the person who owned the car at the time and sort it out. Worth ringing them back and see would they contact them. They have the contact details for the current registered owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,458 ✭✭✭✭Victor

leo78 wrote: »
    Yes unfortunately everything is up to date. 2 days surely wouldn't make it abandoned? Even with garda ticket on window screen?

I understand they would need to see evidence of it being abandoned, e.g. expired tax / insurance / NCT, build-up of leaves, damage, flat tyres, etc. Unlikely to act within 14 days, unless there is a particular problem.

I asked the guard if he would contact the owner and he said he would. Now if it was me personally having the guards ringing me and telling me there was a ticket on my window I would be running to remove my car. So this person has some serious gumption if the guard did contact him.
    Perhaps some of you know of a tow company that would just lift the bloody thing out of my way at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Where I live is very narrow and generally only the residents park outside each others houses.

That kind of attitude drives me mad - why do you feel entitled to park in front of your house? If it is public road, everyone can...
    He's not blocking any entrances or anything just causing an issue for me and my car. The guard that booked the ticket said that. He took photos of the car and gave it a ticket and said he had no reason to have it towed

If so, then just park somewhere else.
    Perhaps some of you know of a tow company that would just lift the bloody thing out of my way at this stage?

That would be theft.

I think there is feck all you can do until something on the windscreen expires.

Sorry,
    I misread the post. So the car isn't actually blocking but its still on the footpath - that changes it slightly but they could still lift for obstructing a footpath .

grogi wrote: »
    That kind of attitude drives me mad - why do you feel entitled to park in front of your house? If it is public road, everyone can...

Where in my post did I say I was entitled to park in front of my house?

Why should I pay for onstreet parking just because some selfish b****** decides to take advantage of free parking in my area.

How dare you take that stand

Here for instance...
    Why should I pay for onstreet parking just because some selfish b****** decides to take advantage of free parking in my area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

That would be theft.

I think the op asked for helpful replies. If you have nothing useful to contribute here, spare us all your silly moralising and refrain from being unhelpful. We're not interested in your indignation.

Comhra wrote: »
    I think the op asked for helpful replies. If you have nothing useful to contribute here, spare us all your silly moralising and refrain from being unhelpful. We're not interested in your indignation.

But there is nothing else to advice if the car is not dangerously parked.

It is causing a slight inconvenience to an entitled poster. The only reasonable advice was given - to grow up. Next time he'll be in front of the house with cones - BECAUSE THAT IS MY PARKING SPOT!

Here's a news - NO, IT IS NOT. You want dedicated spot, buy the land and make it there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

But there is nothing else to advice if the car is not dangerously parked.

It is causing a slight inconvenience to an entitled poster. The only reasonable advice was given - to grow up. Next time he'll be in front of the house with cones - BECAUSE THAT IS MY PARKING SPOT!

Here's a news - NO, IT IS NOT. You want dedicated spot, buy the land and make it there.

Mod Note: Caps = shouting, stop shouting please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Why should I pay for onstreet parking just because some selfish b****** decides to take advantage of free parking in my area.

How dare you take that stand

Seriously, the only person coming across as a selfish b****** here is you. Somebody parks on a public street, with tax, insurance and NCT on their car on a Sunday evening and you throw your toys out of the pram, calling the Gardaí, the council and going on the internet wrongly claiming its abandoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How far would it need to be moved to not be blocking the path, causing an obstruction? A couple of feet?( would a tow row "help" move it off the path.. Have you asked any of the neighbours if they own it...
    . But to be fair if its not blocking your entrance/driveway and its parked legally then its just an inconvenience..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ok everyone. Relax.

Few points. No one owns the space outside their house. Anyone can park there, provided they're not blocking your access to your drive. It's a pain, but it's true.

The guards gave a ticket because parking on a footpath is illegal. You could possibly call the non emergency number and advise that it's still there, and, if it's causing a obstruction to traffic, have it towed. Not for being an annoyance I'm afraid.

No advocating burning out the car (it's outside his house! That can't be a good idea. And illegal). No stealing plates of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Sounds a bit like you want it to be treated as an abandoned car so that it will be taken away and 'your' spot on the road will be available again.

But really, anybody else is just as entitled as you to take advantage of free parking in your area, and is no more or less of a selfish b*****d than anybody else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement