Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tupping time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Ashill5

I put out ram out Sept 30, Texel crosses, only 5 of 30 tipped so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Rams going out 22nd October here same as every year... what's your take on creeping lambs till get them away for the festival time I'd say it would a paid till creep feed this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Ram went out here with first batch of 40 ewes on 1st October. He's done 5 or 6 so far.

I have a few ewe lambs in the mix and they seem very small compared to him. Do ye think they'll take? I was thinking of taking him out and getting a ram lamb in at the end of the month to clean up.

arctictree wrote: »
    Ram went out here with first batch of 40 ewes on 1st October. He's done 5 or 6 so far.

I have a few ewe lambs in the mix and they seem very small compared to him. Do ye think they'll take? I was thinking of taking him out and getting a ram lamb in at the end of the month to clean up.
    An old ram and young ram won't fight as the young ram will just run away so safe enough till throw him in with the old ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Ashill5 wrote: »
    I put out ram out Sept 30, Texel crosses, only 5 of 30 tipped so far.

You can be unfortunate sometimes,.... if the ewes were in heat the week before the rams go out they won't come in heat for a fortnight then no matter what you do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭DJ98

What would be the result of a ram tipping his daughter,(didnt happen but almost happened the other day when a couple of ewes found a hole in the ditch while moving them) I know the result wouldnt be good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

DJ98 wrote: »
    What would be the result of a ram tipping his daughter,(didnt happen but almost happened the other day when a couple of ewes found a hole in the ditch while moving them) I know the result wouldnt be good!

If the ram had no faults itd be grand. If he did you could be in bother. Most of the time it hit the fertility if the offspring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Potential genetic issues. Clear blindness I believe can be one of them. There are probably lots more too.
    Slower growth rates in the lambs - basically the opposite of hybrid vigour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

You could have the best lambs ever born on the farm, or the complete opposite. I know a man that done it when breeding horses in his time. He said all breeding matches were ok bar brother-sister. (When he said ok, you would have to be pretty confident of no flaws in genetics). Ever hear the saying-there is very little between inbreeding and line breeding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Was just looking at the diary there....dosed the ewes with Flukiver and Bovithrive mineral dose exactly a month ago....getting them dipped tomorrow ......not letting the ram out until 25th of October.
    Ewes on dry hill run at moment ...was thinking of dosing them again with Flukiver and Bovithrive a few days before letting out ram.

Can there be any negative impact on conception rates by dosing too close to ram turn out ??

Thanks for any replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

Small numbers here but nice and compact so far. Two thirds of ewes tipped in 5 days. Ewe lambs going to ram next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Was just looking at the diary there....dosed the ewes with Flukiver and Bovithrive mineral dose exactly a month ago....getting them dipped tomorrow ......not letting the ram out until 25th of October.
    Ewes on dry hill run at moment ...was thinking of dosing them again with Flukiver and Bovithrive a few days before letting out ram.

Can there be any negative impact on conception rates by dosing too close to ram turn out ??

Thanks for any replies.

Hope there isn’t a detrimental effect from Fluke dosing....I let the rams put yday evening and had dosed all the ewes the evening before for Fluke with all the wet weather they have suffered in last few months ,its bound to be rampant this winter in wet ground.

Anyone any scientific view or experience as to whether dosing close to ram let out is a good or bad idea ?.....I dosed the rams too.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Hope there isn’t a detrimental effect from Fluke dosing....I let the rams put yday evening and had dosed all the ewes the evening before for Fluke with all the wet weather they have suffered in last few months ,its bound to be rampant this winter in wet ground.

Anyone any scientific view or experience as to whether dosing close to ram let out is a good or bad idea ?.....I dosed the rams too.

Always do it here a week before the ram goes out. Never an issue.

I usually do the fluke dose and mineral dosing 4+ weeks before letting ram out just so there both working in the ewes by that stage and should be getting the benefit from them.... can't see dosing close till letting the ram out causing any problems though.

Lambman wrote: »
    I usually do the fluke dose and mineral dosing 4+ weeks before letting ram out just so there both working in the ewes by that stage and should be getting the benefit from them.... can't see dosing close till letting the ram out causing any problems though.

Any problem with doing after rams let out?

Lambman wrote: »

Any problem with doing after rams let out?

Wouldn't think so but the whole point off mineral dosing is till have the ewe in good health so she'll go in lamb quick hold for full term and might make her more prolific aswell so doing it a couple days before or after the rams go out u aren't really getting the use outta it... as for fluke dose shouldn't matter but I'd do it b4 ram goes out as its less stress on the ewes.

Thanks for any replies.

Was chatting to vet since I posted this question,vet felt that if the sheep are on a relatively dry run there is no need to dose them within a month to 5 weeks again for Fluke.He said you really only get high incidence of Fluke on land that is wet 365 days of the year.
    As regards Bovithrive (or other good mineral drenches)...they last and work in the sheeps system for over two months so no need to dose them again now for it either.

So will just be clipping ewes tails before ram let out.
    When people are changing raddle colour on rams do they do it on 16th or 18th day of cycle after letting in ram �

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

What is the best thing to do with ewe lambs with long tails I had five tipped in thr last week that have long tails and I would prefer not to have to have long tails on these come lambing time? Usually have them all done as lambs but these were born outside and I never got around to them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

farming93 wrote: »
    What is the best thing to do with ewe lambs with long tails I had five tipped in thr last week that have long tails and I would prefer not to have to have long tails on these come lambing time? Usually have them all done as lambs but these were born outside and I never got around to them .

Lamb them and sell them with their lambs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just took the ram out. He'd been in for 22 days and had done 26 out of 32. I replaced him with a new Ram lamb who was immediately on one of the Ewes that had been covered. Should I be worried?

arctictree wrote: »
    Just took the ram out. He'd been in for 22 days and had done 26 out of 32. I replaced him with a new Ram lamb who was immediately on one of the Ewes that had been covered. Should I be worried?

No

farming93 wrote: »

If you wanted you could still put tail rings on them...danger of flies has more or less passed and tails will fall off in a month.

If you wanted you could still put tail rings on them...danger of flies has more or less passed and tails will fall off in a month.

That would be fierce sore the rings are supposed to be applied within the first week

Appreciate a response on my query on when people swap raddle colour on ram after letting him in?......on 16th or 18th day of cycle....I usually do it after 18 days...and another colour change again after another 18 days.

Appreciate a response on my query on when people swap raddle colour on ram after letting him in?......on 16th or 18th day of cycle....I usually do it after 18 days...and another colour change again after another 18 days.

Usually do it on day, 16 here

That would be fierce sore the rings are supposed to be applied within the first week

Not best practice alright but if it’s a choice between ending up with long tailed dirty ended hoggetts next year or clean healthy sheep it’s a win win situation.Our shearing Man was clipping ewe lambs for me a while back and he was saying he put tail rings on strong ewe lambs an old man he was shearing for the day before he came to me and said it wouldn’t do them any harm.

Usually do it on day, 16 here

Thanks,would you not be afraid of missing ewes that would be cycling on 17th and 18th day of the cycle?with the original raddle colour...iykwim.

Thanks,would you not be afraid of missing ewes that would be cycling on 17th and 18th day of the cycle?with the original raddle colour...iykwim.

Don't ewes not cycle every 17 days?

• Advertisement

Do them day 17. It doesnt really make that mucb difference

Advertisement