Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being pushed out

Options
  • 26-09-2017 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Been in my current job 21 years, pretty much given my all to it. Company merged earlier this year and from various changes being made i.e. team I managed being replaced with people new boss knows, complete change in tech stack, people brought in at more senior levels taking over aspects of my role, various comments etc... I feel like i'm being pushed out but instead of being up front, talking to me and maybe offering redundancy they want me to resign. Maybe I should, confidence is at zero and I feel mentally and physically beaten.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Chronical everything, including all these aspects of your role that's been assigned to other people and you're not given anything else, if it continues then you've a case for constructive dismissal. Exactly the same happened to a close friend of mine in one of the biggest law firms here, resulted in a case in the wrc/lrc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

No way do not resign!! Hang in until they offer redundancy. If they do really want you gone. You could be walking away from a really decent lump sum. If you are that tired go on sick leave for a bit and get yourself a rest. Don't make any decisions while you are exhausted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

Dont resign, wait for them to offer you something. Like Teyla says, go on the sick for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Make a note and date everything. If your getting stressed get to a doctor and speak to him and make sure you have paper work from the doctor if signing you off sick.
    If they want you gone let them make the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

No way do not resign!! Hang in until they offer redundancy. If they do really want you gone. You could be walking away from a really decent lump sum.

And a burnout/depression that cripples you for years.

OP: You have to decide what's best for you. From the outside it's hard to judge how bad it is. Maybe you're just a bit down, I don't know. But nothing, not even a years worth of redundancy money, is worth a burnout or depression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Lead wrote: »
    Dont resign, wait for them to offer you something.

Hi Op

dont resign, but don't wait in silence either.

Express your unhappiness explicitly with management. continue to do your job efficiently but you can let them know you would be open to an offer.

This can be done bluntly, eg tell your manager to his face "im so unhappy if i was offered redundancy i'd take it tomorrow", or less bluntly perhaps calling HR and asking if there are any plans for a redundancy package, and let that filter back.

Make sure they know you would accept redundancy, and put the thought in their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I assume it's a large multinational? Seen this type of behaviour before, disgraceful way to treat employees, particularly long servicing ones such as yourself. I will never work for one again, what a dreadful work environment, whereby this kind of behaviour is rewarded. Do not resign, I know somebody that was in a high level management position with over 30 years experience, that was put into a similar position, she took long-term sick leave, stress leave, was made redundant afterwards. A blessing in disguise she told me. Best of luck with it op.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks all. Don't have anyone to speak about this, actually felt better writing it down. I know you're right about not resigning, it's just a difficult one as I've always been confident in my ability to do my job well but I'm now full of self doubt and anxious all the time.

I need to try clear my head and as mentioned note everything. See if maybe I'm just being paranoid or if there is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Not being smart but have they said that they want you out? Have you been directly asked to resign?

If so, as pretty much everyone else on this thread has said, don't resign. Not yet anyway.

Are there internal procedures in your organisation for resolving HR issues etc.? Have you tried speaking to anybody in your company, HR for example? Have you raised any of your concerns with your manager?

If you are being pushed out and forced to resign, it's far better to have engaged with internal grievance processes than to have ignored them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Just to note, as a few posters have suggested hanging in for redundancy, redundancy is a pretty specific set of circumstances, a company cannot offer it just because they may want an employee gone.
    They may be able to offer sime kind of compromise agreement, but it will not be redundancy, so the amount and the conditions will have no legal protections the way redundancy does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

TG1 wrote: »
    Just to note, as a few posters have suggested hanging in for redundancy, redundancy is a pretty specific set of circumstances, a company cannot offer it just because they may want an employee gone.
    They may be able to offer sime kind of compromise agreement, but it will not be redundancy, so the amount and the conditions will have no legal protections the way redundancy does.

The situation outlined by the OP, merger, change in management structure and technology stack all point to a legitimate redundancy scenario. Not sure what you define as a redundancy situation but you are giving the OP a "bum steer"

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The situation outlined by the OP, merger, change in management structure and technology stack all point to a legitimate redundancy scenario. Not sure what you define as a redundancy situation but you are giving the OP a "bum steer"

This is somewhat where my thinking is at. It seems that my role is to a certain extent gone in the new structure. Unfortunately there is no access to HR and the person who's making a lot of these changes is very difficult to get a clear answer from, they will say one thing with regards to my role managing projects but then at later stages I will hear of discussions and decisions made regarding these projects, that impact the management. When I raise this with the person I get apologies and excuses as to why I wasn't told or included.

Part of the issue IMO is that they haven't finished with the restructuring and new employs. It may be a case of them waiting to see how that pans out prior to making a decision which is why there seems to be a lot of contradictions.

Thanks again all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

If they want someone out to directly replace them it is not a redindancy, unless the position is no longer required it wont be redundancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

If you're in a multinational and they're doing this to you.. well, first, talk to a solicitor.
    I'd say a good course of action (after notifying solicitor) is to file a formal grievance with HR and immediately go on long-term sick leave with the reason "stress brought on by work conditions".

You'd be surprised how much you can take before you break.. and you're probably closer to breaking than you realise. If you do have a breakdown, you will never be the same afterwards. Obviously speak to your own GP, but if you've managed without antidepressants for 21 years and the only thing that changed is your work conditions, don't be pressurised into taking them by a company doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭valoren

PushedOut wrote: »
    Hi,

Been in my current job 21 years, pretty much given my all to it. Company merged earlier this year and from various changes being made i.e. team I managed being replaced with people new boss knows, complete change in tech stack, people brought in at more senior levels taking over aspects of my role, various comments etc... I feel like i'm being pushed out but instead of being up front, talking to me and maybe offering redundancy they want me to resign. Maybe I should, confidence is at zero and I feel mentally and physically beaten.

You hit the nail on the head OP. That's exactly what they're looking for.

Advertisement