Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyson to get into the Electric Car biz

• 26-09-2017 11:02pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭

JAMES DYSON HAS announced he is investing €2.3 billion into developing an electric car by 2020, a new venture for the British inventor of the bagless vacuum cleaner.
    The 70-year-old British entrepreneur said work began two and a half years ago on a project which he hopes will help tackle the scourge of air pollution.
    “Dyson has begun work on a battery electric vehicle, due to be launched by 2020,” he said in an email to employees, referring to his eponymous company.
    “The team is already over 400-strong, and we are recruiting aggressively. I’m committed to investing £2 billion on this endeavour,” he said.
    Details of the project remain top secret, but he said every element would be designed by his company.
    He told journalists in London that half the investment would go into the car, the other half into the battery.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/dyson-electric-car-announcement-3617026-Sep2017/

2020 is not that far away at all so he's being a bit ambitious here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

£2bn doesn't look like a lot either considering they're starting from scratch. I remember reading that an average new car programme for an established manufacturer takes about £1bn and 7 years (very roughly), and that's without developing new EV technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

DYSON wrote:
    he said every element would be designed by his company
    http://www.thejournal.ie/dyson-elect...17026-Sep2017/

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

£2bn doesn't look like a lot either considering they're starting from scratch. I remember reading that an average new car programme for an established manufacturer takes about £1bn and 7 years (very roughly), and that's without developing new EV technology.

I'm guessing he has in his mind to do it like Elon Musk did with Tesla. I'm fairly sure that when they were starting up they had no where near as much money as Dyson is talking about investing.

Whether he can get a big company like Dyson to operate like a small one when Tesla was starting up is a different story.

Advertisement