Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing in Ireland for beginners

Options
  • 27-09-2017 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am in Ireland.
    There's a stream/lake/shore nearby with fish in it.
    I have a fishing rod.
    Can I go fish?
    Is there a national license I need?
    Do I have to get local permission?
    Must I sign up for a local fishing club?

Seemingly simple questions, that official fisheries websites fail to answer.

Searching these sites will find you on a page warning of fines for fishing for Salmon and Sea-trout, but aren't great at giving info on where, how or how much I must pay for such a license. Nor is there mention of any other fish.

Can anyone name a plain and simple resource we can use?
    Can any experienced person enlighten us where and how to get started?

For my own selfish questions:
    I'm in Dundalk, close to the Castletown river.
    I fish when visiting family in Canada, but am very much still a beginner. Recently I came home furnished with a gifted rod and kit.
    Do I need a license in Louth? Is there a decent spot I should try to begin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Join mentrim lake. I think its only 20 quid for the year. they have a club on the water. they have a facebook page. mentrim and district anglers, you could contact them there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Contact Dundalk Brown Trout Anglers (clubhouse on the Castleton river at Tobberona or on Facebook.).
    Why travel to the south of Ardee for Mentrim, when you are on the banks of the Castleton River?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

jedhead85 wrote:
    Searching these sites will find you on a page warning of fines for fishing for Salmon and Sea-trout, but aren't great at giving info on where, how or how much I must pay for such a license. Nor is there mention of any other fish.

jedhead85 wrote:
    I am in Ireland. There's a stream/lake/shore nearby with fish in it. I have a fishing rod. Can I go fish? Is there a national license I need? Do I have to get local permission? Must I sign up for a local fishing club?

jedhead85 wrote:
    Can anyone name a plain and simple resource we can use? Can any experienced person enlighten us where and how to get started?

So fishing in the sea you dont need a licence.most lakes you do do need one.pretty much all rivers.
    If your beginning its prob best to follow the advice of the lads above and fish a club water until your a bit more knowledgeable!best of luck with it.tight lines and all that craic

Advertisement