Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Insurance

Options
  • 27-09-2017 7:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Hi All, I'll be buying one of the new iPhones (probably the 8) in the coming weeks. I've never insured any of my previous phones but think I will this time.

Can anyone let me know which companies are good or to be avoided. I'll most likely be with the 3 network, is their insurance any good? What about AppleCare, can you only avail of this if you buy directly from Apple? Also gadgetinsurance etc?

Just wondering what are peoples experiences, are any of these notoriously difficult to claim from? Apologies if this was asked already, maybe a link to previous threads if they exist would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Declan1

I claimed once before with no great difficulty - phone was water damaged and very clearly not fixable. But bear in mind that there's an excess and they'll send you a refurb phone not a new one.

I've cancelled the policy now as I don't think it's good value for money - I have definitely saved the cost of a brand new phone in monthly premiums since I cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really don't see the point in spending money on insurance. It's crazy expensive for what you get. Roughly €89 a year to ensure a device worth about €880. The ratio is crazy when you coinsider how a car policy for €300 insures you for millions of euro.

Also heard terrible stories about making claims, loopholes, excess etc.

Also, the phones are well water proofed now so your biggest risk is the screen which you should just spend €10 on ebay and get a good case for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really don't see the point in spending money on insurance. It's crazy expensive for what you get. Roughly €89 a year to ensure a device worth about €880. The ratio is crazy when you coinsider how a car policy for €300 insures you for millions of euro.

Also heard terrible stories about making claims, loopholes, excess etc.

Also, the phones are well water proofed now so your biggest risk is the screen which you should just spend €10 on ebay and get a good case for it.

Had 3 iPhone 6s plus replaced in the space of a few months last year. Really depends on how unlucky you are. If you're paying 10% per year to insure it, one replacement every 10 years will have you breaking even.

Had 3 iPhone 6s plus replaced in the space of a few months last year. Really depends on how unlucky you are. If you're paying 10% per year to insure it, one replacement every 10 years will have you breaking even.

Well I've had an iPhone for 8 years now, no replacement required and saved approx €700 so it all depends how you look at it.

I just think it's very expensive insurance for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Add it on yours contents house insurance. Cost me less than €20 a year. It’s covered under all risks. I feel nervous without it. (o: I’m with FBD. Had one claim when eh phone got stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Thanks all for the responses.

I'll be upgrading the phone in the next few days and still haven't decided if I'll insure it or not, anyone else with good / bad experiences with phone insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

Last November I paid €149 for gadget insurance through Campion
    Covered 5 devices up to 3 years old and maximum pay out was €2500 per year
    I claimed recently for a replacement 6s screen and phone was collected and returned within a week
    Covers water damage and stolen phones also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Well I've had an iPhone for 8 years now, no replacement required and saved approx €700 so it all depends how you look at it.

I just think it's very expensive insurance for what it is.

I agree. It just depends on how unlucky you are. It worked out for me.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Read the small print carefully. IMO most of it is a complete waste of money when you see how many clauses they have for not paying out in many circumstances.

awec wrote: »
    Read the small print carefully. IMO most of it is a complete waste of money when you see how many clauses they have for not paying out in many circumstances.

You just make sure you spin a story that doesn't fall foul of clauses.

Even seen it first hand with the phone shops getting someone to change aspects of their story for a claim to avoid any pit falls.

Overall I think the refusing to pay out thing is exaggerated, I know a good few people who have claimed their insurance for phones some multiple times (mostly lost on nights out) and never an issue. Personally I would not be without insurance on an expensive phone until it's a few years old for the sake of 7 or 8 euro a month. Great peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Even seen it first hand with the phone shops getting someone to change aspects of their story for a claim to avoid any pit falls.

Overall I think the refusing to pay out thing is exaggerated, I know a good few people who have claimed their insurance for phones some multiple times (mostly lost on nights out) and never an issue. Personally I would not be without insurance on an expensive phone until it's a few years old for the sake of 7 or 8 euro a month. Great peace of mind.
    You mean fraud?

So the fact is that the insurance companies have loads of conditions that you they won't pay out on so you have to fraudulently lie in order to get paid.

How is that a good product?

Between terms and conditions and excess I just don't see the point.

Phones are water proof, a case will protect against damage. Loss is your only risk.

Just save the insurance money each year towards covering the phone cost..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Who you with? I'm after very bad luck with phones lately including a new S8+ but it seems impossible to insure a phone purchased on Amazon etc. Someone mentioned Campion I have a mate working for them so he might be worth a call!

awec wrote: »
    You mean fraud?

I don't consider it fraud to be a bit ecomimical with the truth. I'm not talking about going out and throwing the phone in the river on purpose for the craic and claiming it.

For example, your phone gets stolen off the table in a pub. Tell the insurance company it was taken from your pocket. This is no different to any insurance claim. If you reverse into a wall because you were fiddling with the radio you aren't going to be saying that to your car insurance company. If your washing machine floods the kitchen you aren't going to say you were gone to work then it happened etc etc. Fraud is a totally different thing imo, claiming injuries that didn't happen, damaging things on purpose and claiming money etc etc.

Between terms and conditions and excess I just don't see the point.

Looking over the terms and conditions of my insurance there really isn't anything too crazy to be honest. Most of the T&Cs you would be meeting anyway just possibly like above you might need to be careful of your story. For example, you lose your phone while hammered drunk, don't say you were hammered drunk while making your claim.

Phones are water proof, a case will protect against damage. Loss is your only risk.

A small number of phones are water proof, mine isn't. I don't use a case as the phone looks too good outside it and I consider loss a big risk I've lost a few phones when out on the beer.
    Just save the insurance money each year towards covering the phone cost..

It would take about 6 years to save the cost of one iPhone and what if you have lost 3 in the last 2 years like a friend of mine?
    Truckermal wrote: »
    Who you with? I'm after very bad luck with phones lately including a new S8+ but it seems impossible to insure a phone purchased on Amazon etc. Someone mentioned Campion I have a mate working for them so he might be worth a call!

I'm with Gadget insurance.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I've never had to make up stories to claim on my phone insurance, and I've had loads of phones repaired over the years. Usually it's "Hi, I dropped it/my kid dropped it and now the screen is smashed" then it gets sent off for repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭howareyoudoin'

Toots wrote: »
    I've never had to make up stories to claim on my phone insurance, and I've had loads of phones repaired over the years. Usually it's "Hi, I dropped it/my kid dropped it and now the screen is smashed" then it gets sent off for repair.

Who are you insured with?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

I got AppleCare last year when I bought the iPhone 7plus. And I bought for the Apple Watch. Got hassle free replacements on both over issues with charging. The service on AppleCare was really good. Will get again for new iphone8.

Dermoth wrote: »
    I got AppleCare last year when I bought the iPhone 7plus. And I bought for the Apple Watch. Got hassle free replacements on both over issues with charging. The service on AppleCare was really good. Will get again for new iphone8.

Problem with applecare is it doesn't cover loss or theft. Bar water damage most other things like broken screens etc can be fixed fairly cheaply in repair shops, but a lost phone is a total loss and the most reason I have insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SherryG

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102098284

More specifics on this thread- very few folks here mentions what company they are with.

Advertisement