Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

postmaster@boards.ie

Options
  • 27-09-2017 8:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I just received an email stating 'Notification regarding dormant eircom.net webmail accounts'.
    The sender is allegedly 'postmaster@boards.ie and it requests that I open an attachment. Furthermore, it has a generic list of people in the address column ie 'to Recipents'.

Now currently I am constantly deleting above type emails purporting to be from Revenue, BofI, Eircom, and others and I am just enquiring if Boards sent out an email requesting me to open attachments or if this is indeed another scam.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi Donal55,

Thanks for the heads up. It's definitely spam and wasn't sent by us. Please don't open the attachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Same email in my box this morning from ...eir <postmaster@boards.ie>
    It's in the bin now!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 checky88

Hi Donal55,

Thanks for the heads up. It's definitely spam and wasn't sent by us. Please don't open the attachment.

My folks got one of these this morning also not sure if they opened the attachment "They maintain they didnt" any idea what the attachment is?

Boards.ie Employee

checky88 wrote: »
    My folks got one of these this morning also not sure if they opened the attachment "They maintain they didnt" any idea what the attachment is?

We've no idea what the attachment is. I just assume with these e-mails that you should avoid opening it.

If one person (who then comments "done" below so we don't get overrun by mails) wants to forward it to hello@boards.ie, we might be able to take a look (no promises - safety first!)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 checky88

We've no idea what the attachment is. I just assume with these e-mails that you should avoid opening it.

If one person (who then comments "done" below so we don't get overrun by mails) wants to forward it to hello@boards.ie, we might be able to take a look (no promises - safety first!)

Done

• Advertisement
    Boards.ie Employee

Thanks!

So it is very sketchy for many reasons. We have no reason to contact anyone about an eircom e-mail address, for starters. And even if something looks legitimate you should typically visit a service provider's website directly rather than clicking a link or downloading an unrequested file when something is being flagged about your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Thanks!

So it is very sketchy for many reasons. We have no reason to contact anyone about an eircom e-mail address, for starters. And even if something looks legitimate you should typically visit a service provider's website directly rather than clicking a link or downloading an unrequested file when something is being flagged about your account.
    Got 1 as well the link is to download a file didn't go that far as hadn't time to scan it to see what it was or contained

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭pissed

Got one as well. My other half also received one. Same thing, asked to click on link.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Fact is Eircom did have a large issue yesterday. My password was not recognised when I tried to access my e-mail account and I tried everything, it was only today I saw this "https://www.eir.ie/pressroom/Update-eircom-Webmail-Service/", apparently there was a detected intrusion yesterday which caused problems and so they are asking ppl to change their passwords. Now I know these things happen but the problem I have is the message regarding the intrusion is not on the Webmail page, the only issue reported on the webmail page is the dormant account issue. Had I have seen the "Intrusion message" last night it would have saved me a lot of time and worry. I did change my password since so am back in but had to go through a lot of hassel as it was after 9pm meaning no phone support and obviously the thought was my account had been hacked. Why is this message not on the webmail page.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement