Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord issues

Options
  • 27-09-2017 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi All

Can some body advise me, before we put our house out to rent we put in a new electric shower into the ensuite,

When our tenants moved in about a month or two into the tenancy they said the water pressure was really low in the main bathroom, it is just a hose connected up to showerhead attached to wall, not really a shower, we looked into getting it put into a electric or a pump shower, but it was really expensive and there is already a electric shower availble to them...so we left that and they havent mentioned it again.

Then two months ago they asked could we replace the carpets on stairs, we said no we would get them cleaned for them, we did this.

Then they wanted a light fixture changed to a chandlier thing, they asked us to change it, we said no there is nothing wrong with one there

In the area where the house is located there is a group facebook page for that area, Im still a member and see all that goes on, anyway they put a post out looking for an electrician to put up to change light fitting, never asked us, so we just left it.

Now I see they are looking for a plumber to look at the shower as it has low pressure,

We just feel like they are taking the piss, are they going to get it done then say, oh we will take that from the rent,

Look we always try to accomodate them but it is what it is, can anyone advise me, if they try and do that and is legal for them to get a plumber to work on our house, what if they do a bad job and end up leaving the house a mess, who takes responibilty on this

We are fair landlords, we want them to be happy living there, but we feel we are being taking for a ride

Just to add, she is running a little beauty bussiness from the house, I have seen her advertise out of the facebook page, and My husband was talking to them one day when the carpets were getting cleaned, he was just making conversation and asked where she worked and she said she does beauty she goes to peoples houses but does a few clients in the rented house, she said, is that ok, he could hardly say no, and look once the rent is paid, but she was doing it well before she asked him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,699 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Just to add, she is running a little beauty bussiness from the house, I have seen her advertise out of the facebook page, and My husband was talking to them one day when the carpets were getting cleaned, he was just making conversation and asked where she worked and she said she does beauty she goes to peoples houses but does a few clients in the rented house, she said, is that ok, he could hardly say no, and look once the rent is paid, but she was doing it well before she asked him.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

is the water pressure was really low in the main bathroom? If it is they are really within their rights to look to have this resolved. Its not taking the p|ss and things like this are part n parcel of the business of being a landlord. Its your house, but its their home.

they were reasonable about the carpet, and i hope they pay rent on time etc. they also sound like they want to live in a nice home, and that means they are probably maintaining the property as best they can, if they are house proud.

from the facts it sounds like you have a good tenant. But your post comes across as if you don't?

but i fail to understand why you as a landlord dont ensure work is carried out to a good standard in a timely fashion. it sounds like they are left with no choice but to try to remedy because of your intransigence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

but i fail to understand why you as a landlord dont ensure work is carried out to a good standard in a timely fashion. it sounds like they are left with no choice but to try to remedy because of your intransigence?

It sounds to me like they are being a pain in the ass asking for the LL to carry out unnecessary tasks at his expense. The op is well within their rights to refuse all the requests as they are wants not needs. Margins are very tight for LLs and spending money on stuff a tenant wants rather than needs is not going to happen.

If you want to have a house done the way you want then buy.

Op I'd be pulling them up on their Facebook requests and make it clear that no changes or work is permitted in the house or there will be consequences.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It sounds to me like they are being a pain in the ass asking for the LL to carry out unnecessary tasks at his expense. The op is well within their rights to refuse all the requests as they are wants not needs. Margins are very tight for LLs and spending money on stuff a tenant wants rather than needs is not going to happen.

Op I'd be pulling them up on their Facebook requests and make it clear that no changes or work is permitted in the house or there will be consequences.

+1

I'd guess these improvements are to accommodate running the beauty business from home more than anything else.

To answer one of the OPs questions, no they are not entitled to deduct anything at all from the rent.

OP, what does your rental agreement say about running a business from the property?

• Advertisement

Also get screen shots of anything which demonstrates that they are operating a business from the property. If down the road you need to evict them they will be very helpful evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Op there are 6 pages to your previous thread about your tenants running a business from the home. The majority told you not to ignore it as it could impact on your insurance, neighbours etc. That was 3 months ago and you didn't take any of that advice by the look of it.

You are heading for bigger trouble imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kalimah

That was the first think I thought of too!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bridget1996

?

• Advertisement

Hi OP

is the water pressure was really low in the main bathroom? If it is they are really within their rights to look to have this resolved. Its not taking the p|ss and things like this are part n parcel of the business of being a landlord. Its your house, but its their home.

they were reasonable about the carpet, and i hope they pay rent on time etc. they also sound like they want to live in a nice home, and that means they are probably maintaining the property as best they can, if they are house proud.

from the facts it sounds like you have a good tenant. But your post comes across as if you don't?

Its lower than the ensuite, but it is still running water, you can fill a bath etc, we lived in the house and it didnt impact our lives, I get that they want to have house as they like, but either i up the rent to pay for it or leave it as it is

callaway92 wrote: »
    Why?
    Why? can you elaborate please

Ah we think they are just chancing there arms really, but there is plenty more tenants out there and we are out of our fixed term, waiting on contracts to be signed again,, we have kept all evidence of txts and screen shots just incase

Graham wrote: »
    +1

I'd guess these improvements are to accommodate running the beauty business from home more than anything else.

To answer one of the OPs questions, no they are not entitled to deduct anything at all from the rent.

OP, what does your rental agreement say about running a business from the property?
    It says that they are not allowed run a business from the house and can be evicted over it, but We are not cruel, they are trying to make a living, but we are not going to be paying for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

It says that they are not allowed run a business from the house and can be evicted over it, but We are not cruel, they are trying to make a living, but we are not going to be paying for it

That comment makes no sense. If they have breached their contract then they should be evicted. The issue of cruelty, living and paying is irrelevant.

It's like your trying to get out of your own contract! Report to revenue and evict.

To be honest I'd just get rid of them if I were you. They sound like a pain, pestering you to make unnecessary changes to the house etc and they are blatantly breaking the terms of the lease (and breaching planning) by operating a business from the house. As they are out of fixed term there is nothing stopping you starting eviction proceedings based on them operating a business from the property, get the evidence from Facebook etc.

Its a good opportunity to get in new tenants and increase the rent (by 4% or more if not in an RPZ). These tenants sound like they are going to be a nuisance going forward and you are better off getting in new (well vetted) tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

But running a business from the property is likely invalidated your insurance. Are you not worried about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OP; if they burn the house down, I doubt your insurance will cover it, as your tenants are running a commercial business from it which I doubt your residential insurance will cover.
    We are not cruel, they are trying to make a living, but we are not going to be paying for it
    You are been soft, and if sh|t hits the fan, you'll end up paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

You've been well advised previously on the business issue. The more you tell us the more it seems like the business is growing. You are heading for trouble here and need to nip it in the bud. The longer you dither the longer there is a defense that you knew and did nothing all along.

None of the jobs requested are minimum standard related. The shower thing for instance, you can't have 2 electric showers without a priority switch or electical upgrade. Ignore them if they self install, well......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Ask them to leave if they're not past the deadline

It will only escalate and end in tears
    Hi All

Can some body advise me, before we put our house out to rent we put in a new electric shower into the ensuite,

When our tenants moved in about a month or two into the tenancy they said the water pressure was really low in the main bathroom, it is just a hose connected up to showerhead attached to wall, not really a shower, we looked into getting it put into a electric or a pump shower, but it was really expensive and there is already a electric shower availble to them...so we left that and they havent mentioned it again.

Then two months ago they asked could we replace the carpets on stairs, we said no we would get them cleaned for them, we did this.

Then they wanted a light fixture changed to a chandlier thing, they asked us to change it, we said no there is nothing wrong with one there

In the area where the house is located there is a group facebook page for that area, Im still a member and see all that goes on, anyway they put a post out looking for an electrician to put up to change light fitting, never asked us, so we just left it.

Now I see they are looking for a plumber to look at the shower as it has low pressure,

We just feel like they are taking the piss, are they going to get it done then say, oh we will take that from the rent,

Look we always try to accomodate them but it is what it is, can anyone advise me, if they try and do that and is legal for them to get a plumber to work on our house, what if they do a bad job and end up leaving the house a mess, who takes responibilty on this

We are fair landlords, we want them to be happy living there, but we feel we are being taking for a ride

• Advertisement
Advertisement