Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roasting Veg Recipes and tips?

Options
  • 27-09-2017 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

In order to increase my veg intake I have taken to roasting veg. I usually buy a bag of frozen veg (carrot, parsnip, onion etc) in the local supermarket and bake them in the oven.

The issue here is that they are cut into different size so some pieces may be cooked through, some are less cooked and some are burnt to a crisp such as the red onions!

So I wanted to start cooking my own roast veg, I bought a potato chipper so that when I cut the veg they are all uniform size. I intend to use carrot, parsnip, potato(or sweet potato) etc, mainly root veg, may through in some tender stem brocoli once I get used to the taste ha ha!!

So my question is, would anyone like to share their roast veg recipes with me? If it helps I am not a fan of garlic, I do enjoy the honey roast veg I get in some places and I enjoy a bit of spice/heat too.

Thanks,

frAg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Having the veg a similar size will really help, although I'd leave the onion a bit bigger. I always simmer the carrots in water for about 10 minutes first (or give them a couple of minutes in the microwave with a little water) because they take the longest to cook and I hate hard carrots. I put it all into a big bowl, drizzle it with olive oil (and sometimes a dash of balsamic vinegar) and use my hands to toss it around to make sure it gets well coated. Sprinkle on whatever spice/herbs you like, and some salt & black pepper.
    If you don't want the veg to be too charred you could cover it with foil for the first 20 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

cover with maple syrup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

With broccoli, I'd sometime mash it using a fork with a little bit of butter and lemon.

Though you said root veg were what you were after, I'll sometimes cut up some tomatoes, peppers, red onion, mushrooms, garlic (optional for you), artichokes (pre-prepared) and roast them off with some oil, salt/pepper and herbs. Cover with a bit of tin foil to avoid burning. Great hot and cold.

If I do honey roast parsnips, cut them as evenly as possible, honey, oil, garlic and onion powder, mix and cover with tin foil. Shake now and then to avoid sticking. Add cumin if you fancy it.
    If I am adding carrots, parboiling both in advance is a good idea as they can cook at different rates.

Left over potatoes are lovely roasted with some rosemary (and garlic), bit of oil and season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Having the veg a similar size will really help, although I'd leave the onion a bit bigger. I always simmer the carrots in water for about 10 minutes first (or give them a couple of minutes in the microwave with a little water) because they take the longest to cook and I hate hard carrots. I put it all into a big bowl, drizzle it with olive oil (and sometimes a dash of balsamic vinegar) and use my hands to toss it around to make sure it gets well coated. Sprinkle on whatever spice/herbs you like, and some salt & black pepper.
    If you don't want the veg to be too charred you could cover it with foil for the first 20 minutes or so.

This is a foolproof method and very forgiving. The exact cooking time is not essential and you can tweak it to suit yourself once you get used to it.

Carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, onions are a good mix. You can add unpealed garlic cloves aswell.
    Broccoli should only be added at the end, as it cooks really quickly and is vile when overcooked.

I like balsalmic vinegar in it, but beware of advice to add honey or syrup unless you have a really sweet tooth . Roasted root veg already have some natural sweetness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I parboil parsnips and carrots then roast in olive oil, salt and pepper. I would throw a teaspoon of honey in about 10 minutes towards the end as honey burns.

I often roast peppers, red onion (cut in quarters) and sweet potato (and tonnes of garlic in skin but obviously thats not for you) with some rosemary and throw in a chicken breast in foil with some lemon juice (and garlic) for dinner. Aubergine and courgette work well in this recipe too. You could add baby potatoes if you wanted.

You could also try roasting some butternut squash with a bit of chilli powder. If you have any leftover, blitz it and add coconut milk for a yummy soup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Now that we are well & truly in Autumn squashes/pumpkins are in season again. They are excellent for roasting. My two favourite ways are...

Cut into chunks & liberally sprinkled with ground cumin & coriander (maybe a pinch of cayenne if you want some heat) or sprinkled with dedicated coconut. Drizzle with olive oil & bang in the oven for 30-40 mins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Now that we are well & truly in Autumn squashes/pumpkins are in season again. They are excellent for roasting. My two favourite ways are...

Cut into chunks & liberally sprinkled with ground cumin & coriander (maybe a pinch of cayenne if you want some heat) or sprinkled with dedicated coconut. Drizzle with olive oil & bang in the oven for 30-40 mins.

In our house we call it desecrated coconut :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Damn autocorrect! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Michael Ball, the West End singer was doing his late Sunday morning (11 a.m. - 1 p.m.) show on BBC R2 a while back and out of the blue he gave this cooking tip: 'if you're roasting parsnips, one word - Parmesan'.

Could someone give me a simple method for roasting carrots and parsnips in a covered dish in a fan oven - how hot and for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

In our house we call it desecrated coconut :pac:

And there was me thinking he'd bought it specially :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

coylemj wrote: »

Could someone give me a simple method for roasting carrots and parsnips in a covered dish in a fan oven - how hot and for how long?

First bring them to the boil in salted water them drain and coat them in olive oil. Season well and put them uncovered in a hot 200c oven (180c fan) for 15/20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

love roasted veg and lardons always help as does a good drizzle of balsamic at the end.

Advertisement