Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Additional lights and fan - power

Options
  • 27-09-2017 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I am new to the world of computer building but I am happy with my current rig. I want to add additional fans (there is space in the top of the case for two) and I wanted to add lights (but may just get fans with lights).

The problem I have is with my current board, how can I power them?

The 4 pin Fan is currently powering the rear main fan.
    The 3 pin Fan is currently powering the CPU fan.

I'm a bit confused. Will power come straight from the power supply? I have two 4 pin power plugs coming from this, one is powering the processor and the other is currently spare, perhaps that would be of use?

Board: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81M-DGS%20R2.0/index.us.asp
    PSU: http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/gx-series/gx-650w/

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You can use the 4-pin Peripheral (MOLEX) connectors to power fans, but they would run at constant speed.
    GX650_3.jpg
    I have two 4 pin power plugs coming from this, one is powering the processor
    This confuses me.
    The only plugs that should be powering the CPU are
    Motherboard 20+4 & CPU 4+4
    GX650_3.jpg

Also,
    The 3 pin Fan is currently powering the CPU fan.
    How is your PC powering on? The CPU fan is universally a 4-pin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I would presume there are at least 2 chassis fan headers on your motherboard. These would power 2 fans or you could get a splitter cable and run 2 fans off each header ie : 4 fans. Is your cooler not using the CPU fan header?

Advertisement