Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1890 numbers - why no landline alternative obligation?

Options
  • 27-09-2017 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

It's 2017.

No one(!) pays for individual calls anymore if there even remotely tech-savvy and consumer aware.

Why is there not a law stating that a business (or whatever) providing a 1890/1850/0818 contact number MUST provide a landline alternative?

How hard can it be?

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I use that quite a bit but it doesn't address the issue and by no means lists all companies. The era of 1890 etc. should be long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭fernrock

If you look up the number to be called from overseas, it is usually an 01 number. That is what I use when nothing available on say no to 1890.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

fernrock wrote: »
    If you look up the number to be called from overseas it is usually an 01 number. That is what i use when nothing available on say no to 1890.

You're absolutely correct and that's always the first thing I do.

If you can find it on Aer Lingus' website, let me know!. :confused:

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Dinarius wrote: »
    You're absolutely correct and I that's always the first thing I do.

Thanks.

D.

(01) 886 8505

• Advertisement

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    (01) 886 8505

That's the Website Helpdesk, not the Aer Lingus customer support the OP needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I know a lot of people complain about Skys premium number. They have a free phone number hidden on their website. It's 1800927476.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I know a lot of people complain about Skys premium number. They have a free phone number hidden on their website. It's 1800927476.

Sky;s number is free if you do happen to have a Sky landline...handy for the broadband users

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As above, check the company website for a number to call from outside Ireland, it will be of the form '+353 xxxxx', that's a regular landline number with an area code. Failing that, take a look at http://www.saynoto1890.com/a-z-listing/

If you still can't find a number, e-mail them, say you're out of the country and you can't use their 1890 number, ask for a landline number.

Update: Comreg have put this topic out for discussion and public submissions, it looks like they're determined to put an end to it. 'NGN' stands for non-geographic numbers.

Our consultation paper on NGN numbers proposes two measures which seek to address the current perceived problems with the NGN platform. The first proposal is to link NGN calls to equivalent calls to “Geographic Numbers” (e.g. “01” Dublin or “021” Cork) for the purposes of pricing. The second proposal is to reduce the total number of NGN ranges from five to two, by retaining the 1800 and 0818 ranges and removing the 1850, 1890, and 076 ranges over a transition period of 2-3 years.

ComReg invites and welcomes the views of all interested parties and will consider all responses to this consultation. Chapter 7 sets out how to respond to this consultation and please note that consultation period will run until 5pm on 12 October 2017.

https://www.comreg.ie/comreg-consults-non-geographic-numbers/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Cabaal wrote: »
    Sky;s number is free if you do happen to have a Sky landline...handy for the broadband users

It's also free on Vodafone mobiles. Both bill pay and pre pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭GIMP

Any chance where you found this out 0818 calls from your bundle Vodafone minutes?

coylemj wrote: »
    As above, check the company website for a number to call from outside Ireland, it will be of the form '+353 xxxxx', that's a regular landline number with an area code. Failing that, take a look at http://www.saynoto1890.com/a-z-listing/

If you still can't find a number, e-mail them, say you're out of the country and you can't use their 1890 number, ask for a landline number.

Update: Comreg have put this topic out for discussion and public submissions, it looks like they're determined to put an end to it. 'NGN' stands for non-geographic numbers.

Our consultation paper on NGN numbers proposes two measures which seek to address the current perceived problems with the NGN platform. The first proposal is to link NGN calls to equivalent calls to “Geographic Numbers” (e.g. “01” Dublin or “021” Cork) for the purposes of pricing. The second proposal is to reduce the total number of NGN ranges from five to two, by retaining the 1800 and 0818 ranges and removing the 1850, 1890, and 076 ranges over a transition period of 2-3 years.

ComReg invites and welcomes the views of all interested parties and will consider all responses to this consultation. Chapter 7 sets out how to respond to this consultation and please note that consultation period will run until 5pm on 12 October 2017.

https://www.comreg.ie/comreg-consults-non-geographic-numbers/

Just one comment: wouldn't it be easier to pass a law stating that a landline number option is *obligatory* in all contact details provided, and let them keep 1890/1850 etc. in addition, if they wished to?

Not sure I see the point of inviting comments. From the consumers' point of view, are there not two options only; landline and 1800?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

It would actually be easier for them to treat the 1890 number as a national phone number, which should be covered under most phone packages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

It's the 076 numbers that annoy me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

GIMP wrote: »
    Any chance where you found this out 0818 calls from your bundle Vodafone minutes?

Just noticed that I was never charged for them when I was on bill and now on prepay I can make the same calls with no credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not sure I see the point of inviting comments.

The point is that you get the share your suggestion to those who make the rules;
    Just one comment: wouldn't it be easier to pass a law stating that a landline number option is *obligatory* in all contact details provided, and let them keep 1890/1850 etc. in addition, if they wished to

The point is that you get the share your suggestion to those who make the rules;

A blind man on a galloping horse could see that 1890/1850 are a bum deal for the consumer. Not included in bundles and therefore costing more than geographic numbers - no longer the Lo-call they were designed to be. They hardly need suggestions or input to realise that glaring and well known fact of life.

A blind man on a galloping horse could see that 1890/1850 are a bum deal for the consumer. Not included in bundles and therefore costing more than geographic numbers - no longer the Lo-call they were designed to be. They hardly need suggestions or input to realise that glaring and well known fact of life.

Which is probably why their proposal is to phase them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

guil wrote: »
    It's also free on Vodafone mobiles. Both bill pay and pre pay.

Wish id know that the other day on hold trying to cancel sky.

Precisely.

If there really is a need to phase them out over two to three years then, in the meantime, why not introduce a law stating that as of, say, June 1st 2018, a landline alternative is obligatory. Simple, no?

It is screamingly obvious that 1850/1890 are a scam. Comreg shouldn't have to ask for any views on them. They served a function once for many people, but no longer.

More of the kicking-to-touch (Garda Commissioner replacement) this country is plagued with?

Are certain vested interests being protected here?

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Comreg is funded by operators fees and is slow to force changes affecting them. Most premium rate services have no justification to be yet far from increasing regulation, they have created a surreal easy operating environment for them

Similarly the BAI is funded by broadcasters and is unwilling to upset or even enforce the basis of licences. Being funded by a small pool always causes trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭AngryLips

This issue is currently under review, I'm just going to leave this here https://www.comreg.ie/comreg-consults-non-geographic-numbers/

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

You're absolutely correct and that's always the first thing I do.

Thanks.

D.

Precisely.

If there really is a need to phase them out over two to three years then, in the meantime, why not introduce a law stating that as of, say, June 1st 2018, a landline alternative is obligatory. Simple, no?

It is screamingly obvious that 1850/1890 are a scam. Comreg shouldn't have to ask for any views on them. They served a function once for many people, but no longer.

More of the kicking-to-touch (Garda Commissioner replacement) this country is plagued with?

Are certain vested interests being protected here?

D.

Here's a mad idea - make your opinions on the issue known to the people who matter (ComReg) rather than to the people who don't (Boards.ie readers).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

AngryLips wrote: »
    This issue is currently under review, I'm just going to leave this here https://www.comreg.ie/comreg-consults-non-geographic-numbers/

That's very kind of you but you clearly missed post #10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭fernrock

I have posted this number to say no to 1890.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

fernrock wrote: »
    I have posted this number to say no to 1890.

Sorry?

Edit:

It took a minute but I know what you meant now. Damn beer :)

Here's a mad idea - make your opinions on the issue known to the people who matter (ComReg) rather than to the people who don't (Boards.ie readers).

Here's an even madder idea:

About 99.9% of what's posted on Boards.ie is people expressing views that could otherwise be made "...known to people who matter..." and, guess what, maybe some of them do both.

One of the main points of the likes of boards.ie is to air and debate arguments, in order to evaluate their validity, before taking them to the next level.

A bit less of the screamingly obvious might be more helpful to the debate.

D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Bird Gais tell you to ring 1850 number if you smell gas. Surely it should be 1800 free number. What if someone has no credit.

• Advertisement

Bird Gais tell you to ring 1850 number if you smell gas. Surely it should be 1800 free number. What if someone has no credit.

It's the same for ESB Networks for fallen electricity lines, although you can call 0212382410 or 0214947260 which they don't advertise.

Advertisement