Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff - 50 greatest games of all time

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Subjective? I'd call it a load of ****e. People that are in no way experts in a subject yet again making a definitive list by throwing up just popular games they know.

When I saw Goldeneye high on the l knew it was a load of arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Saved you 7 clicks:

50) The Sims (2000)
    49) WipEout (1995)
    48) Civilization II (1996)
    47) Deus Ex (2000)
    46) Super Smash Bros. Melee (2002)
    45) Metal Gear Solid (1998)
    44) Pokémon Blue & Red (1999)
    43) Silent Hill 2 (2001)
    42) Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)
    41) Age of Empires II (1999)
    40) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
    39) Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
    38) Metroid Prime (2002)
    37) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1992)
    36) Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (2001)
    35) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)
    34) Sensible World of Soccer (1994)
    33) GoldenEye 007 (1997)
    32) Ico (2002)
    31) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (2002)
    30) Fallout 3 (2008)
    29) Bloodborne (2015)
    28) Resident Evil 4 (2005)
    27) The Secret of Monkey Island (1990)
    26) Burnout 3: Takedown (2004)
    25) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009)
    24) NBA Jam (1993)
    23) Life is Strange (2015)
    22) Super Mario Kart (1992)
    21) Tomb Raider (1995)
    20) Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (2005)
    19) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2009)
    18) The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (2017)
    17) Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
    16) Bioshock (2007)
    15) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (2000)
    14) Mass Effect 2 (2009)
    13) Red Dead Redemption (2010)
    12) Final Fantasy VII (1997)
    11) Super Mario World (1991)
    10) Inside (2016)
    9) Minecraft (2011)
    8) Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
    7) Doom (1993)
    6) Portal 2 (2011)
    5) Tetris (1984)
    4) Super Mario 64 (1996)
    3) Half-life 2 (2004)
    2) The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015)
    1) The Last Of Us (2013)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I mean, to be fair as a selection of games it's very good. But I bloody well hate these stupid lists.

It will inevitably end up in a silly argument over which is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I've seen way worse lists tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭al87987

Well, after playing The Last of us I thought it was the best game I'd ever played so no complaints here.

Surprised GTA 3 or San Andreas didn't make it. Thought they were the best GTA's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not even one game from before 1991 and I'd say no game on that list wasn't a massive seller with + 1 million copies sold.

And only the one indie (Inside).

It's pretty much one of the worst I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Theres no pleasing some people!!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not even one game from before 1991 and I'd say no game on that list wasn't a massive seller with + 1 million copies sold.

5) Tetris (1984)

But yeah, it's a more 'modern' list of games. But let's be brutally honest here man, a lot of games from that time period haven't exactly aged very well.

Kill Your Babies: All Systems :P

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Before 91? Pffft, you wouldn't put a donkey and cart in a list of best cars ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sonics2k wrote: »
    5) Tetris (1984)

But yeah, it's a more 'modern' list of games. But let's be brutally honest here man, a lot of games from that time period haven't exactly aged very well.

What about exciting games like Defender of the Faith where you save the green dots with your fantastic flying red square, Monkey's Paradise where you swing from green dot to green dot with your red square monkey, and Penetrator where you smash the green dots deep inside the mysterious red square?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Ctrl+F: "Shenmue" - 0 results found

5) Tetris (1984)

Plenty of games from the 80's are still as good as or better than the best modern games. From 1986 on you have the NES golden era and not to mention arcade games from then. Stuff like Bubble Bobble, Mario 3, Megaman 2, Bionic Commando. Theres too many timeless classics to list.

It's a real sign these guys don't know their arse from their elbow that they don't include anything from that era (and have goldeneye ahead). You dot see top film lists not include B&W films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

What!?! No Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army or Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon!?!?!

That list is a total bust…

... Featuring Dante from the DMC Series

I'll get them to change it to include Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch especially for you.

Plenty of games from the 80's are still as good as or better than the best modern games. From 1986 on you have the NES golden era and not to mention arcade games from then. Stuff like Bubble Bobble, Mario 3, Megaman 2, Bionic Commando. Theres too many timeless classics to list.

It's a real sign these guys don't know their arse from their elbow that they don't include anything from that era (and have goldeneye ahead). You dot see top film lists not include B&W films.

Hey man, I don't entirely disagree with you on this. There were some very good games in later 80's, but as I said, they haven't exactly aged very well.

It's also very possible a lot of these writers are in their early 30's or late 20's and simply never played those games.

With that said, I'm sure it's a heresy that Mario 3 isn't on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

NBA Jam is apparently better than both Zelda, A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time.

Lolwut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Bloodborne was robbed!

• Advertisement

Hey man, I don't entirely disagree with you on this. There were some very good games in later 80's, but as I said, they haven't exactly aged very well.

It's also very possible a lot of these writers are in their early 30's or late 20's and simply never played those games.

With that said, I'm sure it's a heresy that Mario 3 isn't on there.

It just really annoys me that these unqualified mugs keep doing these lists and they almost always suck.

It's true that the writers might be young and inexperienced but ignorance isn't really an excuse.

I'd actually totally disagree with you about 80's games having not aged well. There's plenty of amazing 80's games that are timeless and still amazing. There's some that have aged poorly (stuff like Kid Icarus and Metroid) but the very best from that era are still amazing and still should still be challenging for a place on top 100 lists.

There's plenty of 'modern' games on that list that haven't aged well such as Goldeneye (near unplayable now), Tomb Raider (I still think it's great but it's very clunky), FFVII (Love it but there's better RPGs) and Wipeout (which was never a good game until, the sequels were better and F-zero ****s all over it).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Metal gear solid 1 number 45? Hmm. I would put it higher than that.

These lists are always crap anyways. Let's be realistic, the person writing that probably came up with the list one afternoon under a deadline. Maybe could have asked other staff members probably not. So pick 50 games, publish the article and move on to the next job.

Rinse and repeat.

I did buy the original Wipeout for the Vita and it is awful scutter to play these days. The sequels are far better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Folks.

Stuff.

STUFF.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Is TLOU really that highly rated?

I know its lauded for the story and acting, fair enough, but No. 1 of all time?

I really don't get all the praise that Inside gets. It was a decent platformer. Not much more to it.

I really don't get all the praise that Inside gets. It was a decent platformer. Not much more to it.

I enjoyed it but wouldn't have put it in the top ten of all time games. Not a chance…

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Is TLOU really that highly rated?

I know its lauded for the story and acting, fair enough, but No. 1 of all time?

The gameplay is very solid throughout. Nothing special, but solid. The story and acting really do add to the general gameplay too as they heighten tense moments. It's a game where all the pieces just work together incredibly well, and the story and acting deserve all the praise they get.

No.1 of all time is definitely pushing it though, but it's a sh*t list anyway so I wouldn't pay much heed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

#1 and #2 are pretty much spot on to be fair.

Most big lists will have almost everything unanimously disagreeing, whether it be games, movies, sportsmen, whatever, but I think the top five, at least, is good.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed it but wouldn't have put it in the top ten of all time games. Not a chance…

Same. Wouldn't have it in the top 50 either. Probably not even top 100.

Advertisement