Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guilt for taking sick day when actually sick

• 27-09-2017 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭

I have a pretty bad cold. Desperate cough and sinus headache, voice is pretty much gone too. So called in sick to work today.

Went to work yesterday when I wasn't feeling as bad but was not as productive as I usually would be. Plus I'd say my colleagues didn't appreciate me coughing and sneezing in the office when they could have caught my cold too.

Yet I feel guilty for taking a day off for having a cold. Only ever been off sick about 3 times in my life and never for a cold. Does anyone else get this sick day guilt? Plus being at home is pretty boring.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

its understandable to feel a bit guilty over it, if that means a lot of work is being shared between fewer people. But you've gotta stop dwelling on it. Just rest up for the day as much as you can.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I have a pretty bad cold. Desperate cough and sinus headache, voice is pretty much gone too. So called in sick to work today.

Went to work yesterday when I wasn't feeling as bad but was not as productive as I usually would be. Plus I'd say my colleagues didn't appreciate me coughing and sneezing in the office when they could have caught my cold too.

Yet I feel guilty for taking a day off for having a cold. Only ever been off sick about 3 times in my life and never for a cold. Does anyone else get this sick day guilt? Plus being at home is pretty boring.
    Not in the least. Watch a whole season of a TV show or semi-lucidly read a book I've been meaning to for ages. I love sick days. And hangovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I have taken 1 sick day in 4 years and that day I could not relax as felt guilty.

Even funerals etc I take as Holidays. Im a idiot though I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

I don't feel guilty about it. If Im sick, Im sick. End of.

The bit I hate is the ringing in part and trying to sound sick. Usually over do it ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Took loads of sickies, mainly for concert attendants, not a bean of guilt. More to life folks than clocking in and out. Enjoy your life when you can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

bot43 wrote: »
    I don't feel guilty about it. If Im sick, Im sick. End of.

The bit I hate is the ringing in part and trying to sound sick. Usually over do it ffs

We have an automated system for calling in sick where we just have to press some numbers on the phone, no talking to anyone. It's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

I think, in the public service anyway, people should be rewarded annually if they take no sick leave, or depending on the number of days taken. Fair play to people like the OP, there's others who time their sick leave on the back of a weekend, week off etc, convenient and everyone knows it, totally taking the piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I think, in the public service anyway, people should be rewarded annually if they take no sick leave, or depending on the number of days taken. Fair play to people like the OP, there's others who time their sick leave on the back of a weekend, week off etc, convenient and everyone knows it, totally taking the piss

That will encourage people to work when they are actually sick, which can cause other people to get sick.

I'm lucky that I rarely get sick, but would have no problem taking a sick day if I was.

People shouldnt be rewarded for doing the bare minimum expected of them (turning up to work), people who take the piss should be reprimanded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I have a kinda crappy immune system and get sick a lot. It really annoys me as, frankly, I feel bad about it. I'm coming off a nasty dose of flu, although had the worst of it on a pre-booked day off, had to go home early one of the days. Shouldn't have been in at all, but I was a bit afraid that it would look really bad on the back of a day I'd had as holiday (some holiday as it turned out!). I've been keeping much to myself and finding empty offices to work in the rest of the week to not drive people cracked with my persistent cough.

Turned out though that the plague ran rampant through the place (not from me, I'll add, I was about the fourth or fifth person to come down with it) so it was all perfectly believable and I was being paranoid.

There was a recent initiative to ..uhm... encourage people not to be sick on Mondays or Fridays though, and that probably contributed to everyone getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

We have an automated system for calling in sick where we just have to press some numbers on the phone, no talking to anyone. It's great!

That is an awesome system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

One person can infect upto 1000 people per day with 'flu or Cold. Just by the "knock on effect" alone
    Just think about that for a second :eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not enough people take time off when sick and just make it worse for themselves and colleagues in the long run.

It's not enough to pop some paracetamol and get on with as all the adverts say and this whole productivity first bs needs to end.

Proper recovery be it one day or more will make you perform better anyway. If the workplace is making you feel guilty or putting pressure on, they're @rses

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

People coming into work when they're sick are the worst. Fair play OP, good looking out for yourself and your colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    People coming into work when they're sick are the worst. Fair play OP, good looking out for yourself and your colleagues.

We all know it's stupid, but people do feel pressured into it - and sometimes actually -are- pressured into it. I've been punished before for not going into work when I had a uhm..stomach issues shall we say when my job was working with food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I'm the same OP, and I've had the same conversations with a lot of people that feel the exact same way. I've been out sick once in five years with my current place, and that day I was sent home as soon as I walked in. My manager took one look at me and told me to go home. On very rare occasions in previous jobs, I've called in sick, and I just have this horrible guilt. It's easier to just go in and power through, rather than have that horrible guilty feeling hanging over your head for the entire day. Then you start asking yourself stupid questions like "how actually sick am I?", "How can I be happy watching TV at home, if I'm sick"?, "whats everyone saying about me being sick?", "Did I sound sick when I rang in"?. I know they are silly things to worry about, but I cant put my finger on why I feel like this when I have a sick day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I once went seven years without taking a sick day. Like that I always felt bad. Plus I was afraid it would be a mark against me and that I would be denied promotions, payrises etc.

Then one day I released I don't f*cking get those things anyway, so clearly they just think I'm a gobsh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Weepsie wrote: »
    Not enough people take time off when sick and just make it worse for themselves and colleagues in the long run.

It's not enough to pop some paracetamol and get on with as all the adverts say and this whole productivity first bs needs to end.

Proper recovery be it one day or more will make you perform better anyway. If the workplace is making you feel guilty or putting pressure on, they're @rses

But what happens if the merger gets out of the pan while I'm off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I have a similar system whereby I text my manager and ignore his calls for the rest of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

Your a bad person :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I don't feel one bit guilty about it, if I'm genuinely sick then there is nothing to feel guilty about. I have been working for over 25 years and will admit that I have taken a few questionable sick days in my 20's and early 30's but none in a very long time.

One of the reasons I don't feel guilty is because when I'm off either sick leave or annual leave, no one does my work, its all there waiting for me when I come back. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

amcalester wrote: »
    That will encourage people to work when they are actually sick, which can cause other people to get sick.

I'm lucky that I rarely get sick, but would have no problem taking a sick day if I was.

People shouldnt be rewarded for doing the bare minimum expected of them (turning up to work), people who take the piss should be reprimanded.

Yea I guess your right. I suppose I'd be in the same boat as the OP, and only being new to the public service I've seen the ride some people are having would make ya furious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

If you're sick, you're sick so you shouldn't feel guilty. I don't think I've made it through a year without having to take 1 sick day at least. I have a condition that means sometimes I just have to and have been prone to bad colds (I mean really bad unable to move and needing a doctors visit) the past number of years. If I just have a sniffle, yeah I'll do like the ads and get on with it, but not if I think I'll infect people. Someone I work with, their wife has an autoimmune disorder so it's made all of us in the office be a bit more cautious about coming in and spreading things as she could end up in hospital if he ended up bringing home our germs.

Plus it's often better to take 1 day to get better than suffering for 3 on half-power essentially!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I don't agree with this. It implies that there's something wrong about being out sick, which there isn't if someone is genuinely ill. It also encourages people to come into work when they're infectious which is unfair on everyone else.

I agree some people abuse sick leave, but making the majority who don't do this feel guilty when they're genuinely at home ill isn't the answer.

ETA Sorry, I've just realised that this point has already been made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yea I guess your right. I suppose I'd be in the same boat as the OP, and only being new to the public service I've seen the ride some people are having would make ya furious

I don't work in the public service but people where I work completely take the piss when it comes to sick leave. If they run out of holidays they take sick leave. Weather forecast is nice for the week, take sick leave. Most of them don't hide the fact that they are lying about being sick either but they always get away with it.

I wonder would they do the same if they weren't getting paid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

A bit silly to feel guilty to be honest. Remember that if a job ever has to fire you (cuts etc) they won't feel guilty even if you hardly took a sick day.

You simply get the boot. Business and life goes on.

I don't abuse sick leave but I have to admit, if I'm at home on a cert with something like a chest or throat infection, once the antibiotics kick in and the initial discomfort is over I quite enjoy being able to stay at home in the warm and lie on the couch in a track suit reading and watching telly. I don't feel the least bit guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Despite their tendencies to over work, the Asians have the right approach. If you're sick stay away from the work place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Pretty much all of sick days have been sports injury related so in that sense I couldn't feel guilty at all as with the painkillers I was told not to go near remote access for work.

The one time I was proper ill I thought I caught dysentery so I wouldn't have been at my desk at all had I gone in!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Samaris wrote: »
    We all know it's stupid, but people do feel pressured into it - and sometimes actually -are- pressured into it. I've been punished before for not going into work when I had a uhm..stomach issues shall we say when my job was working with food.

Oh, I totally agree. I should have written 'people who come into work when they're sick for whatever reason'. There's loads of reasons why someone could come in sick when they don't want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I work for a multinational, and haven't been off sick now for 12 years I think. They give me €300 (before tax, mind) as a gift each year for it, and last year gave me an extra day's holidays which will be added to my holiday hours each year. To be honest though, I just don't like taking sick days with coughs/colds etc, and haven't been properly ill in my life thankfully. So even without the little bonuses etc, I'd still show up for work unless really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    But what happens if the merger gets out of the pan while I'm off?

A bit of Lemsip will separate the men from the boys

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Its better to barf privately at home than in the office.
    Ditto if you have the runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'll usually go in and wait to be told go home you look like death. I hate calling in sick, think I did it once in my 15 years working since I was a teen, and that's because I was in hospital with a fever the night before.

Lads counting their sick days as holidays is a joke though. I worked in a place before and most made sure to take the 10 days they were entitled to paid.

rob316 wrote: »
    I'll usually go in and wait to be told go home you look like death. I hate calling in sick, think I did it once in my 15 years working since I was a teen, and that's because I was in hospital with a fever the night before.

Lads counting their sick days as holidays is a joke though. I worked in a place before and most made sure to take the 10 days they were entitled to paid.

Why? Genuine question, not being snide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I have taken 1 sick day in 4 years and that day I could not relax as felt guilty.

Even funerals etc I take as Holidays. Im a idiot though I know.

Exact same. Although recently I've been worked to the bone, and its been taken as granted, so whatever inherent guilt I feel about taking sick days is slowly eroding.

I actually think I'm due one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Can't understand people not taking sickies. I take circa 4-5 per year and spend quality time with the family. Life is too short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Why? Genuine question, not being snide.

Macho BS to be honest, my attitude is you go out and work always has been. I know I probably should take a couple a year.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Can't understand people not taking sickies. I take circa 4-5 per year and spend quality time with the family. Life is too short.

Well that's not fair. It's because of people like you that other people are made to feel guilty when they're out sick. They actually had to seriously tighten up the rules regarding sick leave where I work, to deal with the minority who abuse it. So everyone suffers because of people like you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Well that's not fair. It's because of people like you that other people are made to feel guilty when they're out sick. They actually had to seriously tighten up the rules regarding sick leave where I work, to deal with the minority who abuse it. So everyone suffers because of people like you.

Yeah that is a bit bad as it means that people who are genuinely ill get way more questions than they should because some people do take the p.

I'll take sick leave when I'm sick. I'll joke about pulling a sickie but I never actually have as the guilt then would eat me alive (& guaranteed I'd pop out and meet someone from work). If you want to spend time with your family take annual leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I dont like sick people coming into work to show how dedicated they are. Please stay away for the sake of everyone else's health, trust me no one will give it a seconds thought. The company wont fold without you. Meetings and workshops can be rearranged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I dont like sick people coming into work to show how dedicated they are. Please stay away for the sake of everyone else's health, trust me no one will give it a seconds thought. The company wont fold without you. Meetings and workshops can be rearranged.

This. I used to be of the mentality that I would come in when I was sick. Now I am in management, I understand why it shouldn't happen. It's bad enough being a person down without taking a whole department down. Stay out, get better and if you must work, do it from home but I still tell my team to just get better. Work to live not vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'm the same OP. It's silly as I never would take a "fake" sick day, I'm always genuinely sick if I stay away, but I feel terribly guilty as it affects a lot of other people in my work environment if one is out sick.
    I'd always be thinking : "I could probably have made it through the day", and generally would be questioning if my sickness is valid enough. The worst is when you start to feel better because obviously, you're taking it easy and not pushing your body, as the day goes.

In my job there is a very big chance of lots of people catching something if one person is sick, as there are more than 130 people moving between rooms throughout the day and spending various periods of time in close proximity, so yes, when you think about it, it's better that people stay at home when sick. But I have yet to apply that logic to me rationally.

And I have to make the dreadful phone call when that happens... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Ciaran_B wrote: »

Just on that, I know lots of people are pressured into it but my pal had a horrible experience that really resonated. Her da is undergoing aggressive treatment for cancer, and as such is totally vulnerable to sickness. One of her colleagues came in with a bad cold which meant my pal couldn't go visit her dad least she'd been infected and would pass it on to him. She was really upset about it and I think companies need to think about the human side over showing face pish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

We don't get paid sick days. Its hard to blame people coming into work with a cold when they can't afford to take the day off.

Advertisement