Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Club do you chip with?

Options
  • 27-09-2017 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭

So I have been really struggling with my chipping of late was watching a youtube vid on Phil Mickelson on the short game (which is very good by the way) and he uses the hinge and hold method. So tried it out and surprisingly my chipping improved a lot! Its Only been 1 round so early days!

I have 2 wedges 52 deg vokey (its a bit battered) and a TM 56 deg.. Plus the usual Pw that comes with the set.. I was given a 56 TM wedge instead of a Sw in Foregolf when I was fitted a few years Back..

I just cant decide on which wedge to use the most.. I hear a lot of people say they use their 60 deg wedge for most chipping and so does Mickelson but hes says that was him down to been lazy as a kid and just wanting to use 1 club.. But I was always told a 60 deg wedge was very hard to use to get consistent!

So just wondering what most lads would use regularly? obviously it can change depending on conditions..

Might need to treat myself to a new wedge after this :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

Around the green, I use an 8 iron (if there is no bunker/water) in the way.

If there is an obstacle like above in the way I will duly find it with a 56 degree:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I mostly use my PW but I actually go the opposite direction when changing club. Depends on how far I am trying to carry. I would go as far up as 7 iron.

So not a good reason to get a new club I am afraid imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Depends. My 54 gets used a lot but depends really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I learned the action I use now by getting a jigger and when I was competent with that then I started using clubs from bag. 8 iron is probably most consistent for me

A jigger is usually about a 7 iron. If it gets really bad get one, use it for a year until you get back under control

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Oh be interesting on what make & model wedge you use for research purposes :rolleyes: and do you have a method..Ie hinge on hold, ball back instance etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

This is an impossible question to answer as the variety of chip shots is huge, I could use anything from a 3 wood (low runner) to a lob wedge. Then you have to account for your level of ability, a low handicapper can apply spin with a wedge ... a skill that is not easy for the average weekend golfer. If you are looking for advice, mine would be you need to practice them all and find one that suits you as a go to chip. The major skill is develop your feel for the shot and with that in mind, I always visualise myself throwing the ball under arm towards the target as that should give me an idea of a landing spot and run out pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

I have the yips with my chipping and have done for a while. It is soul destroying. Once you know what its like you will realise that no amount of practice can help, your hands just have a mind of their own.

Once I can hit a shot hard it is OK so generally I am playing flop shots that are ridiculously unnecessary when there is an obstacle in my way. I actually am an excellent bunker player so I play chip shots like I'm in the bunker taking a huge divot and basically hit an intended duff. It has very mixed results!

I am trying lately to hit a bump and run but due to the yips I have to use a kak handed grip and the club head doesnt leave the ground it's like a drag back and push through the ball. It has been effective but I am so embarrassed by the stroke I will run up to my ball and play quickly so no one sees me!

I have been through the ringer on putting too but this year I have used the claw grip and it's working great!

It always gets me wondering what my handicap could be if I was a decent chipper, if I miss a green I am making bogey minimum at the moment.

My handicap is 6 and has been steady the last two years never getting a shot back but I chip like a 20 hcap (no messing).

I'd say my driving is that of a 2/3 Hcap, Irons and wedges the same, so the short game kills me!

TL DR; Have chipping yips, pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

56 95% of the time, sometimes 60 if i need extra height, stop quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Generally speaking it's my 60 degree, which has 12 degrees of bounce. This is important as it decreases the likelihood of me fatting the ball and has massively improved my results around the green. I used to play lots of chip & runs with my 8 iron but have moved away from it completely in favour of the 60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Depends.....if there's no trouble in the way, the 8 iron - esp if there's a bit of green between the ball and the flag.

After that, it depends on how much height and rollout (or how quickly I want the ball to stop) I think I need, how thin the lie is and where the ball is in relation to my feet.

Which means either the 45' PW, 50' UW, 56' SW or 58' low-bounce LW - or for the craic I might bring a 64' wedge out with me, but never really in comps.

BTW, if you're struggling with the short game - the short game clinic at Carton was very good. I found it helped me a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

For chipping, depending on conditions / how the ball lies / what you have to get over to get to green I use my 7,8,9,pw & sw!!!

7 & 8 for bump n run.
    9 & pw from fringe (or 7 iron)
    SW if fluffy lie.

I never use my 60 degree for chipping unless there's a bunker between me and the green and ball is sitting up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

oh, and sometimes I use my rescue from the fringe of a green if the cut is particularly lush.......on of the few times I've gotten useful advice from d'interwebs! There's a Butch Harmon video showing how its done - it works remarkably well as the ball kind of 'pops' lands fairly softly with a bit, but not too much run!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

I use by 56 degree virtually all the time. Something I might work on over the winter, not always great for the chip and runs

eoghan104 wrote: »
    I have the yips with my chipping and have done for a while. It is soul destroying. Once you know what its like you will realise that no amount of practice can help, your hands just have a mind of their own.

Once I can hit a shot hard it is OK so generally I am playing flop shots that are ridiculously unnecessary when there is an obstacle in my way. I actually am an excellent bunker player so I play chip shots like I'm in the bunker taking a huge divot and basically hit an intended duff. It has very mixed results!

I am trying lately to hit a bump and run but due to the yips I have to use a kak handed grip and the club head doesnt leave the ground it's like a drag back and push through the ball. It has been effective but I am so embarrassed by the stroke I will run up to my ball and play quickly so no one sees me!

I have been through the ringer on putting too but this year I have used the claw grip and it's working great!

It always gets me wondering what my handicap could be if I was a decent chipper, if I miss a green I am making bogey minimum at the moment.

My handicap is 6 and has been steady the last two years never getting a shot back but I chip like a 20 hcap (no messing).

I'd say my driving is that of a 2/3 Hcap, Irons and wedges the same, so the short game kills me!

TL DR; Have chipping yips, pain in the hole.

I feel your pain! Im off 18 and reckon if I could sort out my chipping I could actually get to single figures but if you seen me chipping you would think otherwise!

I had a lesson chipped grand but that was off mats.. Out in competition and its carnage... thin fats duffs

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Alot depends on how you hit it, eg on a 10 yard chip how high each club goes.

I hit it very high, with my 60 full swing i catch the net over hanging from bays above in the driving range, and can hit the roof no bother with the ball forward and face open.

I struggle keeping it low so regularly go down to 8/9 when I want it to pitch and release as my 52 for example just stops.

For higher H/C its always advisable to use the lowest club possible as a bladed 7 iron chip doesnt differ from a well hit one as much as a blade 60 does!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

If I can avoid using the highest listed club I will. If I need to get over something or stop it quickly I'll take out the sandwedge. I'll generally try to take whatever rough / big slopes out of it by carrying them, but if I can use an 8 iron I will. I won't often go lower than that, but that's because I like to be in practice with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

depends on the shot and situation really. i find the 8iron bump and run to be possibly the safest shot for me personally. i have a 48', 54' and 60' wedge as well as a PW. Again depending on the situation, i find the 60' if i want to fly the ball 80-95% of the way to the flag, 54' if it want it to go 65% to 80% of the way and roll out the remainder, 48' if i want it to fly 40% to 65% and roll out the rest of the way and so on. A lot of variables in this too such as playing conditions, green conditions etc.

I have gotten some foam practice balls at home and i find chipping off the carpet can help show how each shot works. Its not completely accurate but it is useful for winter time practice if nothing else.

In reality its going to practice this aspect of your game twice a week in the summer as along with putting is what will cause you to have a really good round. Will also lessen the impact of your weaker rounds.

For the 6 handicapper with the yips, i feel for ya and i cant say i've anything solution to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

It's a part of my game that was costing me a lot of shots, as I wasn't chipping anywhere near the hole. I'd use anything from hydrid to 60°, depending on shot required. But my biggest improvement over the last few weeks was set-up, swinging more with body turn than the hands and arms. Probably won't suit everybody, but is working for me, making more pars than bogeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I try to use lower loft where possible. Less chance of fluffing it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Parkland 9iron, links 7iron, on both with bunker in the way 64degree lob

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

slave1 wrote:
    Parkland 9iron, links 7iron, on both with bunker in the way 64degree lob

I almost never need anything like a 64 degree wedge for chipping. On a rare occasion I'll have to open up my sand wedge and create it, but even with a bunker in front of me I usually have enough green to work with to use the 55 degree lift on my sand wedge.

For me the extra loft makes shots more difficult to control. Maybe I should practice them and get comfortable, but it just doesn't look like the easy shot to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

benny79 wrote: »
    I feel your pain! Im off 18 and reckon if I could sort out my chipping I could actually get to single figures but if you seen me chipping you would think otherwise!

I had a lesson chipped grand but that was off mats.. Out in competition and its carnage... thin fats duffs

I was like that at the start of the year. And now that it is after getting a lot better I must say at the time I was all hands and arms and no shoulders, no turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Anything from a 5wood down to the lob wedge. Depends entirely on the type of shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I use all my irons down to 5 if say I need to chip out from under a tree and get maybe 50 metres run up the fairway.
    Around the green my default is PW with SW only if I need to go over a bunker or a hump.
    I lean left, ball back, hands forward delofting the club. Then lock wrists and arms, rock my shoulders like my putting stroke. Not flashy looking but effective as I have so few moving parts.

I was like that at the start of the year. And now that it is after getting a lot better I must say at the time I was all hands and arms and no shoulders, no turn.

This is me and even though I know it I still struggle been to handsie

use SW if i have to get over any obstacles to clear or have very little green to work with, using Pw - 7 if there are no obstacles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭techdiver

I'm a high handicapper and I have started using my 60 degree for most chips. I find i hit less duffs with it because I'm confident to commit to the shot as I know if I over hit it, it will won't go as far as a lower lofted club.

I can also attack the flag more as it will come in higher and land softer. If I want to bump and run I close a 52 wedge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

8iron (plenty of green & not uphill)
    9iron
    Pitching wedge

All depends on the shot.

Advertisement