Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

110 v transformer

Options
  • 27-09-2017 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Have a machine from the USA and had a transformer with it but its blown up
    Called the manufacturer but they told me the wont have them anymore but the ones they can get are almost the same prize as the machine itself
    So they sent me this message/details of the transformer I had

The input on the machine is 120 VAC which is the standard North American Continent residential line voltage.
    The transformer was a 220 VAC 50/60 Hz input to 110 VAC step down transformer which has been discontinued

My question is : can I use a transformer for it they use here in Ireland on construction sites or do I have to search further for it ??

And if so the wiring its black to brown, and white to blue and green to green yellow I think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

construction transformers are really

55v----0----55v with the 0 tied to the earth

may or may not suit the machine you have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

As stated the Reduced Low Voltage (RLV) system (for the single phase variant) is really split phase, i.e. there are two phase conductors and no neutral. Also the frequency will be 50Hz rather than 60Hz used in the USA. They also have different ratings for continuous use and intermittent use. Really they are for portable tools etc. and not designed for your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You need to identify what the power usage of your machine is (in watts or VA) so a suitable transformer can be selected. A site transformer may work, but you will first needs to see if it can deliver your power requirements.

US are 60hertz.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    As stated the Reduced Low Voltage (RLV) system (for the single phase variant) is really split phase, i.e. there are two phase conductors and no neutral.

That will make no difference to the operation of the washing machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Found a converter from 220 50 hz (EU) to 110v 60 hz 32 AMPS (USA) at amazon today
    Going to order it tomorrow and try it out

Transformers have a high quiescent.
    A 3.5kVA SST uses aboot 300W no load. Toroidals are better.

I wouldn't leave one on all the time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A 3.5kVA SST uses aboot 300W no load.

That sounds a tad high to me. I would guess no load power consumption to be closer to 30W than 300W.

7dP4NrM.jpg
    Core Losses

My mains is usually >245V.

Core Losses

My mains is usually >245V.

What units are the multimeter displaying ?

• Advertisement

Primary AC Current 1.114A

The meter's plugged through my home-brew Kill-a-milliWatt

DSC_2005_zps2xtj8fmz.jpg
    :D

Primary AC Current 1.114A

This is at a very poor power factor, in the order of 0.1 to 0.2 due to the inductive nature of the windings. Therefore the power (in watts) is not simply the current x voltage.

In your case it would be about 245 x 1.1 x 0.1 = 27W or thereabouts

See link:

http://eratechnology071.blogspot.ie/2013/09/during-no-load-why-power-factor-of.html?m=1

Back to the OP:
    Found a converter from 220 50 hz (EU) to 110v 60 hz 32 AMPS (USA) at amazon today
    Going to order it tomorrow and try it out

That is not what I would do. Compared to a transformer which is a passive device this is a sophisticated piece of kit. Most likely this will mean that it is either:
    A) Inexpensive and low quality.
    B) Expensive.

The advantage of this piece of kit is that it will provide a 60 Hz output, however your first post seems to suggest that 50 Hz will work. My advice would be to get this clarified by the manufacturer (i.e. will the machine work with a 50 Hz supply?).

What type of a machine is it?? Does it contain a motor?

A few other things worth noting:

● Many site transformers are only rated for a couple of hours of use, they should not be left switched on 24/7

● Switching on a transformer of this size often causes the upstream MCB to trip (due to large inrush current). Using a different type of MCB may be the solution, this depends on a number of factors.

● The fact that most 110V site transformers are center tapped will make no difference to the operation of the machine.

● We use a 230V supply in Ireland (not 230V).

● Sometimes it is makes sense not to go down this road :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    That sounds a tad high to me. I would guess no load power consumption to be closer to 30W than 300W.

Yes nothing like 300w

Advertisement