Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primavera Sound 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Any idea how quickly it could sell out this year?

I know it sold out fairly quickly a couple of years ago, but I assume that was partially down to Radiohead being there. I don't remember tickets going too quickly any time I was there, though the last time was 4 years ago. How did it work out last year?

Bit broke until February pay day and still not sure if anyone else is up for it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Any idea how quickly it could sell out this year?

I know it sold out fairly quickly a couple of years ago, but I assume that was partially down to Radiohead being there. I don't remember tickets going too quickly any time I was there, though the last time was 4 years ago. How did it work out last year?

Bit broke until February pay day and still not sure if anyone else is up for it.

You can generally pick up tickets for it until fairly close to the gig. Arctic Monkeys may ruin that this year. There also should be some on toutless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Also, no Glastonbury. You could (and I've no reason to think it has changed) pay the fee over 3 installments. Used to be roughly €60 per month.

Fair points both, but neither should have the impact of Radiohead, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Fair points both, but neither should have the impact of Radiohead, yeah?

I'd say Glastonbury would be a massive factor, 200,000 regulars looking for something else.

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    I'd say Glastonbury would be a massive factor, 200,000 regulars looking for something else.

True, but there are plenty of Glastonbury alternatives and I'm not really sure if Primavera is the same type of thing. There will be some going to Prima that would have gone to Glastonbury, but there wouldn't be much crossover in terms of line-up and the actual festivals couldn't be more different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

All valid points re: sell out but would recommend factoring in that nearly every large gig and festival is seeing a bump in sales because of the general rise in the economy too.

Gigs that are would normally struggle to sell out in Ireland are selling out months in advance and that's the case everywhere else too. Huge chance of loads of these tickets turning up in secondary markets so not sure I'd worry too much but just a thought.

Also, my understanding is that Primavera operates its own secondary market if the festival sells out. Change of mind, etc can return tickets to the festival who relist them through this market. No idea what impact it has on pricing, etc, though.

Also, generally pleased about the line-up. A lot of the expected names - National, Nick Cave, Bjork, War on Drugs, Grizzly Bear - showed up but will still be very happy to see them. Few extra surprises too, like Belle & Sebastian, Wolf Parade, Slowdive, and really happy to see Car Seat Headrest and Rostam on the bill too. Only issue I can foresee is that a lot of what I want is on the Thursday so could be clash heavy - but that's always the case at Primavera 'cos there's so much to see!!

Anyone found any gems hidden in the lower end of the poster? Haven't done too much digging yet but Ross From Friends, OMNI and Kedr Lavinsky (sp) all sound fun. (Sandy) Alex G might make it on to my list, as will Ty Segall I'd say.

And, finally, for anyone there last year - the Wednesday gigs were just on the Primavera stage, right? Can we expect the same for Belle & Sebastian and Wolf Parade? (I know Spiritualised is Auditori and ticketed - won't lose any sleep over that, it's Wolf Parade all day for me!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Anyone found any gems hidden in the lower end of the poster? Haven't done too much digging yet but Ross From Friends, OMNI and Kedr Lavinsky (sp) all sound fun. (Sandy) Alex G might make it on to my list, as will Ty Segall I'd say.

And, finally, for anyone there last year - the Wednesday gigs were just on the Primavera stage, right? Can we expect the same for Belle & Sebastian and Wolf Parade? (I know Spiritualised is Auditori and ticketed - won't lose any sleep over that, it's Wolf Parade all day for me!!)

if you like Ross From Friends, check out DJ Seinfeld and Mall Grab.

I discovered ABRA from that spotify playlist, she sounds a bit like Kelela (who is also on the lineup)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

Spiritualized 6pm? and Maria Arnal in the Auditori
    Holy Bouncer, Javiera Mena, Starcrawler, Wolf Parade, B&S outdoor at Primavera site (free to all) 5pm-11pm approx
    Kedr Livanskiy, Mavi Phoenix, Mt Kimbie, Shati Celeste, Umfang, Willikens in the Apolo venue in the city (from midnight)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dublinkeith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Idles have gone straight onto my must see list

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

How would one get a spiritualized ticket? Queuing at the auditori?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

sweetie wrote: »

Not sure to be honest, but I think queuing. From previous years of trying to get to those gigs that was the case, but the queues are ridiculous, and will be even more so for Spiritualized.
    I will investigate as I am flying in on the Monday. I saw them in the main venue 3 or 4 years ago and they were awesome. It was like a religious experience. Would love to see them again.

EDIT: They're playing in the Auditori? That's a game changer. Thought they were playing in one of the city centre free gig venues. Will investigate this further. The Auditori venue would be an amazing place to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

As an aside. Did any of yiz ever drink in Bar 32 on Ample, or the one across the road that they moved to, The Penny Banger? If so, I've probably met you. If not it's a great spot to meet good heads.

sweetie wrote: »

For Auditori gigs you normally queue earlier in the day for them. And I think there is a limit of 2 tickets per person. Saw Mangum in there a few years back. Superb venue (a little cool in there in comparison to the rest of the venue!).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

lordgoat wrote: »
    For Auditori gigs you normally queue earlier in the day for them. And I think there is a limit of 2 tickets per person. Saw Mangum in there a few years back. Superb venue (a little cool in there in comparison to the rest of the venue!).

yeah, I've queued during the three day part, wasn't sure about the setup for the wednesday. I saw Laura Marling in there one year.

As an aside. Did any of yiz ever drink in Bar 32 on Ample, or the one across the road that they moved to, The Penny Banger? If so, I've probably met you. If not it's a great spot to meet good heads.

Cool, might try head there on the wednesday as last year we just knacker drank around the apollo! Had some crack the sunday night last year in a little bar with €4 mojitos.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Booked accommodation yesterday in apartments just opposite the beach, about 1km away! looking forward to my 4th Primavera now! counting the days down, 75 to be exact!

Staying in Pobleneu, spending a few days around Girona before heading to Barcelona. Cannot wait now :)

Have you been before? it's my favourite weekend of the summer, we'll be flying to one of the islands after it to relax a bit after it thou!

Nope, have been to Barca quite a few times now but this'll be my first Primavera

Have seen a good bit about the #unexpected Primavera secret shows, and mentions of tickets - how does that all work?

• Advertisement

From the 2 Unexpected gigs I went to last year, Mogwai and Haim, they were at stages already in the festival so you were covered with your wristband.
    I believe Mogwai reach capacity fairly quick so you just need to get there early depending on the stage.
    Download the Primavera App for your phone, they will alert you for any news, this where everyone got the unexpected gig news last year, and Facebook and twitter.

I'm not sure if there was a unexpected gigs in the Auditorium just outside the arena, or in Barts venue in the City, they were require a little bit more planning.

maximoose wrote: »
    Nope, have been to Barca quite a few times now but this'll be my first Primavera

Have seen a good bit about the #unexpected Primavera secret shows, and mentions of tickets - how does that all work?

The Arcade Fire #unexpected show was announced with a few minutes notice and it was just a matter of how many people could cram in. It was an open stage but a fence around it. I was outside the fence and well able to hear but it was pretty cool/exciting.

Mogwai and Haim were announced with a bit more notice, I think Mogwai's was via a cryptic clue that as a non-fan, I had to rely on Twitter for an explanation. I think it was the title of the new album. "Tonight, Every Country's Sun."

I hadn't a notion what that meant. :pac:

Haim was simply an update on the app - "Haim will play tonight at ..." It was on the Ray Ban stage (I think) so it was just a matter of turning up. Big crowd so a lot of people were quite a bit back from it.

They maintained that they're going to do more #unexpected stuff this year so I'd say download the app and keep an eye out but, beyond that, it's currently anyone's guess!

The other shows - the Hidden Ones - are announced beforehand and are, usually, in a small venue on site and require tickets to access. Often free and just subject to queuing, last year they charged €1 for Jarvis Cocker I think.

DZS87IPX0AAv6Di.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Wow that Friday lineup at the Desperados stage is incredible!

hopefully there's enough space, some big names for those stages!

hPoJgeO.jpg

Plenty of room in the sea. Bring your swimming togs, lads.

Listening to Daphni while floating on a lilo and sipping on a beer? That might just be perfect.

Absolutely sickened i can't make this

Capacity last year at Desperados stage looked to be about 2 - 3k.

There was hardly anybody in the water or on the beach for Kiasmos anyway.

And the foot bridge is not the only route down to it, can also head up right side in that pic and then left towards where it says Bacardi live.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

And the foot bridge is not the only route down to it, can also head up right side in that pic and then left towards where it says Bacardi live.

That's only on the way in from the main entrance, isn't it? I don't think it's a two-way connection with the main esplanade. I can foresee some bottlenecks on the bridge, especially if they maintain the no drinks policy.

• Advertisement

That's only on the way in from the main entrance, isn't it? I don't think it's a two-way connection with the main esplanade. I can foresee some bottlenecks on the bridge, especially if they maintain the no drinks policy.

There were a few bottlenecks there last year when they were opening the Parc del Forum. A few of the earlier shows had to be delayed because the crowds simply weren't filtering through.

Don't think there was anything other than a 15/20 minute delay, now, but if there are bigger acts down there, with a bigger capacity then you could imagine longer delays or the potential for missing something on the other side.

Advertisement