Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Wifi Router Off Main Modem

Options
  • 27-09-2017 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭

Hi All

We have an eircom F2000 eFibre Modem in our business. We want to move that upstairs to the comms room and was told by CCTV guys we need to run a cable downstairs to another wifi router which can be used for wifi for our customers.

They suggested this router.

39944-md.jpg

Any suggestions of similar router that I could order on Amazon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-AC1350-Wireless-Dual-Band/dp/B01LX8Z8TP ?

Any particular reason why you want a different router? I think before any useful suggestions can be given, you'll need to tell us what kind of business you have - i.e. how many customer do you expect to use the WiFi and for how long, etc?

E.g. if you have a cafe where people might want to do some work, then having a decent and stable WiFi setup is good. Whereas if it's a lot of pass-through traffic and people just using their phones, you don't need serious reliability. If you have fifty customers at a time, then that makes a difference than if you have five at a time.

And so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

seamus wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-AC1350-Wireless-Dual-Band/dp/B01LX8Z8TP ?

Any particular reason why you want a different router? I think before any useful suggestions can be given, you'll need to tell us what kind of business you have - i.e. how many customer do you expect to use the WiFi and for how long, etc?

E.g. if you have a cafe where people might want to do some work, then having a decent and stable WiFi setup is good. Whereas if it's a lot of pass-through traffic and people just using their phones, you don't need serious reliability. If you have fifty customers at a time, then that makes a difference than if you have five at a time.

And so forth.

No reason other than the fact that the Eircom router will be moved upstairs to the comms room to view CCTV remotely

That's just the model they suggested. There maybe others that are just as good as the TP AC1350

Its for a bar so basically the wifi used for PC behind the bar and customer use, majority whom just check on their phones etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Are both these devices going to be used on the same connection? Do you realise that any customer in the bar can potentially access your CCTV and other devices on the network if this is not setup and segmented correctly?

davo2001 wrote: »
    Are both these devices going to be used on the same connection? Do you realise that any customer in the bar can potentially access your CCTV and other devices on the network if this is not setup and segmented correctly?

AFAIK they will be on the same connection.
    I would assume that the CCTV company will segment the routers ?
    Do I need to be computer literate to test if its segmented correctly ?

Sorry for the dumb questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

AFAIK they will be on the same connection.
    I would assume that the CCTV company will segment the routers ?
    Do I need to be computer literate to test if its segmented correctly ?

Sorry for the dumb questions :)
    No, this kind of stuff you'd need to do yourself.

A lot of routers come with an in-built Guest functionality that allows you to set up a guest network that can access nothing but the internet.

The one above does have this, you can see it in chapter 6 of the manual: http://static.tp-link.com/Archer%20C59_V2_User%20Guide.pdf

How serious you want to be about security is kind of up to you. There are many ways to ensure that guests (i.e. customers and staff) have internet access, without compromising your own network security.

An AP in Guest mode is probably OK. For your own sanity though if you know anyone who works in this area, it's worth having them give it a once-over. Even just to explain the concepts and which networks you should give out passwords for and which ones you shouldn't.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    No, this kind of stuff you'd need to do yourself.

A lot of routers come with an in-built Guest functionality that allows you to set up a guest network that can access nothing but the internet.

The one above does have this, you can see it in chapter 6 of the manual: http://static.tp-link.com/Archer%20C59_V2_User%20Guide.pdf

How serious you want to be about security is kind of up to you. There are many ways to ensure that guests (i.e. customers and staff) have internet access, without compromising your own network security.

An AP in Guest mode is probably OK. For your own sanity though if you know anyone who works in this area, it's worth having them give it a once-over. Even just to explain the concepts and which networks you should give out passwords for and which ones you shouldn't.

Thanks for all that info.
    I'll get that AC1350 router and set up the guest AP

Advertisement